Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen gadgets

Options
  • 04-10-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Was just cleaning out my cupboard and came across my blender. Bought it about a year ago with the intention of making a smoothie every day for my 5 a day - stopped after about 2 weeks and it's not seen the light of day since.

So, come on food boardsies, what gadget have you bought that you were definitely going to use regularly and is now taking up space in a back cupboard?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For me it's a juicer. I bought a really good one intending to use it regularly but the fact that it takes so long to clean put me right off. I cleaned out a cupboard specially to hide it away in :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A steamer. When I was living in Edinburgh, I had no steamer pan that went on top of a saucepan, and was sick of boiling potatoes. So I invested in a steamer (an actual machine, not just a pan with holes!), with the intention of steaming everything. I think I've used it about 3 times in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A rice cooker. Even the hot air popcorn maker sees more use than the rice cooker - and seeing as I cook rice about four times a week, that's saying something. Should really offload it to the op shop now that I think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Faith wrote: »
    A steamer. When I was living in Edinburgh, I had no steamer pan that went on top of a saucepan, and was sick of boiling potatoes. So I invested in a steamer (an actual machine, not just a pan with holes!), with the intention of steaming everything. I think I've used it about 3 times in 3 years.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I can't think of any gadgets, offhand...but I've definitely a number of cookbooks that I've bought, read, seen recipes in that I liked, and never taken it off the bookshelf again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Juicer, only cost about €15 so was not that annoyed.

The thing that gets most use is my nonstick black "magic sheet", you get them for about €5 in the tinfoil section in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

My deep fat fryer. Comes out about once a year when there's a family party and there are cocktail sausages to crisp up but apart from that it moulders in the back of the press. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Oh I'm a daemon for kitchen gadgets!

What I do use regularly...
    • Fasta Pasta (€4 in Dunnes)
    • Magic Bullet
    • Basic Coffee Grinder
    • Handheld Blender (usually for blending mushroom soup)

What mostly just gathers dust...
    • All the extra attachements and juicer for The Magic Bullet!
    • Popcorn maker
    • Espresso/cappuccino maker that I got for €30 in Dunnes... (just threw out recently, it's near impossible to clean out properly every time).

Today alone (so far) I made a smoothie for breakfast in the magic bullet - frozen berries, natural yogurt, milk and honey. Then for lunch I cooked perfect spaghetti in the Fasta Pasta, blitzed up Lidl pepperoni in the magic bullet then fried in olive oil. Added the pasta to the pan of crispy pepperoni. Finely grated a chunk off an Aldi block of Parmesan in the magic bullet (3seconds!) add mixed through.... TRY IT!! Yum. I'll be grinding a few beans for coffee now soon too.

Advertisement