Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 pro cyclists sweating it out for the next 2 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Junior

This is something that bothers me, how come they can turn around these tests in two weeks, yet it takes 4/5/6 months in some cases for positives from races to come out ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    This is something that bothers me, how come they can turn around these tests in two weeks, yet it takes 4/5/6 months in some cases for positives from races to come out ?
    Usually because prelimenary tests are inconclusive or they are waiting for a test for a new drug to be validated.
    Once they test a sample the turnaround time is usually within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

lots of riders not sleeping easy tonight !! lots of talk around this years giro winner and his team mates !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

Some names of those being re-tested mentioned in this article (although it's in German).

http://kurier.at/sport/1943917.php

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Dura Ace wrote: »
    Some names of those being re-tested mentioned in this article (although it's in German).

google translate gives the gist of it
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkurier.at%2Fsport%2F1943917.php&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

They won't release the 40 names. They NEVER do.How often have we heard McQuaid or one of his auld' boys tell us that "Eh....we have a list of names which will be reveald within the coming weeks.....maybe Monday".
    Bluffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Dura Ace wrote: »

@Dura Ace can you post tomorrows article; 'the brutal life of a professional cyclist'. It would be worth a read I reckon, if only for the German to English translation! I wonder will there be more Kohl revelations.

I see Frank Schleck's name in that artice,no surprise if he's caught.

A lot has been learned about the Schlecks' since he was caught putting 7000 euros into a Swiss bank account held by Eufemiano Fuentes.

Would be nice if they could catch Contador too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Reading through the rough translation I presume they are pointing the finger at Spartacus. If this is the case and its true well the whole sport will be rocked to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

velo.2010 wrote: »
    If this is the case and its true well the whole sport will be rocked to the core.

...again... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

......Again..... Yes only this time we've had the big teams professing their absolute anti-drug stance, yet we have two guys from the same big team mentioned in the same sentence. No way could riders do this and the teams not know about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Would be nice if they could catch Contador too.

It would be unbelievable.... considering he didn't ride the 2008 Tour
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    Reading through the rough translation I presume they are pointing the finger at Spartacus. If this is the case and its true well the whole sport will be rocked to the core.

Why on earth would anyone be shocked by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

This is the next part of Kohl's series "The brutal life of a professional cyclist", although it's not particularly interesting imo.

http://kurier.at/sport/1944072.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Zipp101 wrote: »
    I see Frank Schleck's name in that artice,no surprise if he's caught.

A lot has been learned about the Schlecks' since he was caught putting 7000 euros into a Swiss bank account held by Eufemiano Fuentes.

Why? It's perfectly reasonable for a Luxemburger to pay 7000€ to a Spanish gynacologist he's never met for "training advice".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Why? It's perfectly reasonable for a Luxemburger to pay 7000€ to a Spanish gynacologist he's never met for "training advice".

:rolleyes:
    So that explains the pregnant pause in his potentially stellar career.

apart from the gifted stage in this years Tour which resulted in Andy not attacking Bertie on the Ventoux

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

What ever happened to re-testing of the 08 Giro samples which was announced a few months back? As far as I can remember the police wanted the samples for re-testing but the UCI said they would do it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

2008 was supposed to be the cleanest year in a long time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) president Pierre Bordry told Le Monde that he is convinced that "two new products were used during the Tour de France: two medicines that aren't yet on the market". Bordry also said that he believes there was clear evidence of blood transfusions taking place during the race.
    According to Le Monde, the two new products are hematide, a third-generation EPO that maintains haemoglobin levels, and Aicar, a product that works on muscular tissue and encourages the burning of fats. Bordry is quoted as saying he was shocked to see how thin some Tour riders looked.
    Hematide is still undergoing clinical testing and won't be authorised for use until 2011. It is already on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned list.
    Le Monde reported that tests to detect use of these two products should be ready in the near future and could be used on samples given by riders at the Tour de France. The AFLD is reported to be ready to re-test samples given by some riders during the 2008 race.
    Bordry also said that the AFLD had found evidence of what he described as "hardcore medicines" in rubbish bins during the Tour, among which was "a substance for producing insulin that is normally used by diabetics".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Aicar, Fat burning wonder medicine eh ? I'll take a container load please. You always hear of these wonder fat burning pills, most of which are just thermabol (nowadays without the ephedrine and instead are just basically caffeine pills for all the world) - you'd have to wonder if any of these things are effective at fat burning. Although I don't doubt that this Aicar stuff is effective looking at the walking skeletons in the protour.

Mr Wiggins did turn up rather more svelte than usual at the tour didn't he ? Not implying anything there of course ! It will be a shame too if cancellara gets done for this, he's one of those riders that everyone likes, one that you'd like to believe in. A shame, but probably not a surprise, sadly.

Most importantly Johann Bruyneel dodges another bullet.

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ..............It will be a shame too if cancellara gets done for this, he's one of those riders that everyone likes, one that you'd like to believe in. A shame, but probably not a surprise, sadly.

Funny how history repeats itself , I would have had the same admiration a few years back for a certain Mr Valverdi but it just seems to be spiralling out of control. I thought it might have been the cleanest tour for many years but then maybe I'm just a little too naive, and what sickens my .... is that I love this sport but have been hood winked too many times.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pro cycling has been riddled to the core for longer than most of us have been alive.

wonder fat burning drug could do with that, be great if it fixed tendonitis as well :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Results are out. No positives.

So this is a good thing? or not? I dont know how to feel.

So this is a good thing? or not? I dont know how to feel.

My reading of it was that AFLD felt they didn't catch everyone and decided to use new tests on a portion of riders. Either they were wrong or the new tests aren't sensitive enough to catch people.

I'd love to read the list.

I'd love to read the list.

You can bet it was the bones of the top 40....just replace the Frenchies with random Spaniards,Italians or Russians.

You see the French barely ever dope so they don't need to test them as much (if at all.) :rolleyes:

pro cycling has been riddled to the core for longer than most of us have been alive...
    That is for sure but just when you think they might be getting a handle on it (especially in the last two years) another high profile positive, another n th generation EPO drug etc etc etc. I was so impressed by Cancellara's Olympic and Worlds timetrial displays (his bike handling in the Worlds TT was incredible by the way) but now who believes what they see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭BikePure

sy wrote: »
    Cancellara's bike handling in the Worlds TT was incredible by the way

+1 ... Unbelievable to say the least! I was amazed at the speed he took some corners at and even some while in the aero position - scary stuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement