Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dicrimination for job

Options
  • 04-10-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey

Im in a sticky situation
    About 2 years ago i worked in a cinema, which i wont name for various reasons....i met my current boyfriend working there, he became a superviser, and i ended up leaving because of school

Im now unemployed and in college, finding it hard to get by
    so i gave my cv into said cinema because my boyfriend had told me several staff members had just left so there would be a chance i could get a job there

I got a call from my boyfriend, not from the boss? even tho i submittd my cv just like everyone else, to basicly say the boss would hire me in a instant and will concider me for a position in a different cinema? it wouldnt be worth my while working in other cinema due to having to pay for the transport there!

(i live 5 mins walk from this cinema, i used to work there, and i know how everything works so no training needed)

I am not being offered a job i am well qualified for, did before and is available because i am dating a supervisor?
    surely this is discrimination, i have experience, they need staff
    yet because im with someone that works in the cinema im treated differently?

will someone please tell me if this is legal? surely he cant do that :(
    its totally unfair i should get the same chance as anyone else applying for a job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If I understand correctly they have offered you a job, but not in the cinema where you want to work?

You probably don't have a case for discrimination unfortunately. There are very strict rules as to what counts as discrimination, in particular:

Family status
    Religion
    Sexual orientation
    Race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins) or
    Membership of the Traveller community.

So I think if you took legal action against them you could lose your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Why exactly do you think this is discrimination?

You have been offered a job,just in a different cinema.

Even if the manager said specifically that he wouldnt give you a job in the cinema your BF works in because you are dating him,thats still not discrimination.

Alot of companies will try and avoid having couples working for them because there is always the danger that the individuals will recieve preferential treatment because they are dating a senior staff member.A bit silly,yes,but the manager obviously wants to maintain the status quo.

The only grounds for discrimination cases centre around things like gender,race,religion,sexual orientation etc.

Dating a staff member is not one of these issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Metal_Princess

I know that, i never said i was taking action, i just dont believe its fair, like i know the manger!!! and there are a few couples working there already

just seems to be me and my bf he has a problem with, without even giving it a trial go?

we worked together before and had no problems whatsoever.

if i dumped my boyfriend tomorrow id have a job, seems stupid to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Was it explicitly said that the reason he won't hire you there is because you are dating someone senior to you?

Is there a possibility that the other cinema is in need of someone who has prior experience?

To be honest, you need to lose the sense of entitlement. The fact that you worked there before and know the manager does not give you an automatic right to this job. Considering the amount of special treatment your post suggests you expect, the manager seems to be correct in not letting you work with your boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

if i dumped my boyfriend tomorrow id have a job, seems stupid to me
    I don't see where this was said, or even implied. Did your boyfriend even say this to you? Even if he did, is it just an assumption on his part? Maye they need someone with experience in the other cinema, maybe they're not hiring in the cinema you worked in, could be any of a dozen different reasons.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you got the job and you are your boyfriend were never getting the same nights off I'm sure you'd be complaining about it. How would you react if your boyfriend worked every Friday and Sunday night and you did Saturday night for the next two months?
    Would you be in your managers office looking for favours, get the roster redone and hey, put some other sucker on the weekend nights?
    Seen it happen many times in a hotel when there was part-time weekend staff.

There are couples there already, do you think the manager has to deal with this already?

You have experience and have been offered a job. Turn it down if you wish but you can't claim discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Im in a sticky situation

:eek:

Is this a joke????

Were you specifically told you did not get a job in the cinema you wanted because you were going out with a supervisor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Metal_Princess

It wasnt implied, my boyfriend is friends with the manager like, its exactly what he said to him , he would hire me but he has resevations about it cos im his gf.
    we worked together before and both were nothing but professional

as for the roster, my boyfriend only works certain days, they are very flexible with hours but id have no problem working different hours
    i need the money

I DO NOT HAVE A SENCE OF ENTITLEMENT
    the other cinema isnt open till december!!!
    what am i sposed to do till then i cant find a job anywhere else
    i live right by this one
    and he needs staff

i need a job now! i got let go from my last job due to the company bankrupting

oh get this
    manager said it was a conflict of interest
    managers brother got a job in the cinema....?????
    contradiction much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It wasnt implied, my boyfriend is friends with the manager like, its exactly what he said to him , he would hire me but he has resevations about it cos im his gf.

I hate to break it to you but the manager is within his rights to hire whoever he thinks is the right person for the job. Your relationship with a current supervisor is, whether you accept it or not, not ideal for the work environment. What if you and your boyfriend break up while you both work there? Do you think the manager wants to risk dealing with that.

i live right by this one
    and he needs staff

You don't reckon you've a sense of entitlement over this? Jesus. Read back over what you just typed. There are plenty of people out of work in this country, plenty of people willing to work in a cinema and plenty of people who arent in a relationship with the supervisor. The fact that you live nearby means absolutely nothing. You should thank your lucky stars that you have something lined up for December. You're in a better position than a lot of people.
    oh get this
    contradiction much

It is a conflict of interest. I doubt the manager is shagging his brother. Romantic relationships in the workplace are a receipe for disaster and are something that many, many companies do not want to deal with.

My advice to you is to speak to the citizens information centre regarding what you are entitled to in terms of social welfare while you wait for this job to start in december.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jojobrad

Just take the job in the other cinema, and soon before somone else gets it. In case you havn't noticed, jobs are very scarce these days. And there's no sign of improvement for a long time yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

as for the roster, my boyfriend only works certain days, they are very flexible with hours but id have no problem working different hours
    i need the money

i live right by this one
    and he needs staff

oh get this
    contradiction much

Most places would just say "No" and not explain why at all.

Its decent enough they offered you a job somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

i live right by this one
    and he needs staff

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

It's not very nice of the manager but its also not illegal. He's just covering his arse, which is something managers do very well.

Here are your options

1. Break up with boyfriend
    2. Pretend to have broken up with the boyfriend
    3. Take the job in the other cinema and wait till december
    4. Contact the manager yourself and assure him that both of you would not allow it to effect your jobs
    5. Find another job

To be honest option 3 or 5 are the only real options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Relationship discrimination aside, do you think maybe the manager wants to assemble a team of staff for the new cinema, and you having experience makes you more attractive for working there? They can take anyone on for the local cinema job because there are already trained staff there to teach them...

Play this right, and you could get a supervisor position in the other cinema...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

its totally unfair i should get the same chance as anyone else applying for a job.
    It would appear to me that you are getting a better chance than anyone else!

I don't understand your problem with working in the other cinema. I have been working in the same building in a permanent and pensionable position for the past 21 years but my employer is perfectly entitled to relocate me tomorrow morning to anywhere in the greater Dublin area. You have spent a short while working in one location and, despite terminating your employment, you expect to resume working there!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dardania wrote: »
    Relationship discrimination aside, do you think maybe the manager wants to assemble a team of staff for the new cinema, and you having experience makes you more attractive for working there? They can take anyone on for the local cinema job because there are already trained staff there to teach them...

Play this right, and you could get a supervisor position in the other cinema...
    Agree with this. Since you know your stuff, you would be suited in a new cinema.

It's now October. The cinema opens in December, which means probably the 3rd or 4th of December, so that they can open with all the xmas blockbusters. This doesn't mean, of course, that you start in December. This means that you start in November, as a) you'll need to be trained for your position, and b) train others in for their positions. They'll want a smooth opening, so having everyone trained before the place opens is a must.

As for the location, how long away is it? Are we talking about the new cinema in Dundalk? Seems there's only 30 jobs initially, so getting a job there may not be all that bad. Where would you be travelling from?

Advertisement