Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second flash or Studio kit?

• 04-10-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Looking for some advice on getting a lighting kit: I already have a (nikon sb800) flash, so I've got to decide whether to get a second flash including umbrellas, etc, or should I go for a dedicated bowens-type kit?

From what I can see, a studio kit will cost round about the same as a new flash. I know there is also questions about portability, and I do plan on taking shots out and about as well as at home, so one-up for the speedlight. But on the other hand, the studio kit has two heads, umbrellas, reflector included....

So given my lack or any kind of certainty, would anybody like to offer an opinion? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

I am also interested in getting some kind of flash kit as well. I use a Nikon D10 with SB 600 at the moment. Looking in Ireland I can see one starter for for €399, also available on the web for STG £198, which gives me one indicator of where to shop!

Any technical advice would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I had a cheap light kit which caved in. Recently I purchased extra flashes, the flashes do not have to be the same, you can use transmitters, I bought 2 second hand older flashes for only €70, they work perfect, even on my camera. I borrowed similar recently with transmitters and i got great results, there is a lot more range when you use them, I wouldnt have been able to bring lights to my venue for that shoot so I just had assistants hold my flashes in specific paces.

However, if you are more into studio work the lights would give you more power, I will eventually replace my lights but for now the flashes do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

if your budgeting for studio lighting it's advisable to think about a light meter and perhaps a backdrop & stand too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

If you are interested in getting some kit. You could/should attend the session next wed in DML. They have a guy from Bowens over from the UK to talk about the gear. It should be informative. Here's the email I got from DML.
    DML invite you to the “Bowens Product Launch”

Wednesday 14th October (DML Showrooms)

Bowens, one of the world’s renowned manufacturers of studio flash and power packs, are launching a new range of Monobloc studio flash heads and we, at DML, are delighted to have over Trevor Howard from Bowens on Wednesday 14th October to present these products to you.

We will also have Angus Thompson from JP Distribution to discuss the Pocket Wizard and its solutions for studio and outdoor off camera flash remote triggering. Angus will also do a short presentation on Sekonic Light Meters.

This will be a very informative event and we feel that, whether you are thinking about purchasing lights, or upgrading, this is a fantastic opportunity to meet and talk to the manufacturer in person.

There will be a morning and afternoon session. Please reply by email to Bowens@dml.ie stating which session you wish to attend.

Morning 10:00 – 12:30

Afternoon 13:30 - 16:00

Tea/Coffee, and biscuits.

Remember this event will take place on Wednesday 14th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

I had a cheap light kit which caved in. Recently I purchased extra flashes, the flashes do not have to be the same, you can use transmitters

I have been trying to get some info on using flashes. I have an SB600 and I think it can fire slaves. I use a Nikon D40 and a D100. Any recs re flashes for same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have some old old flashes, honestly I'm not flush so they really have been cheap enough, but at the end of the day they work. The triggers (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not of a technical mind) in effect send the same signal the flash would get from the camera, so I have used sigma, canon and vivitar with my camera, another which I cannot think of at the minute also, I use nikon d200 and d300. I havent tried on a d40, I had one once and just used a sigma on camera.

If you are looking for a slave to use with the nikon system as far as my research told me it pretty much needed to be nikon flashes, I spoke with stcstc about this so he would know more about it than I would. I am awaiting delivery of some triggers from ebay, 30 odd euro as far as I recall, similar to the ones I have used before, this way I can use my cheap flashes with my camera without breaking the bank.

There is a strobist ireland group on flickr, recommended to me by oshead and kjt, I have been waiting to attend an outing until I get all my gear but looking forward to joing one soon as the gear is all ready.

The lads have told me a couple of times you can attend without having all the equipment members of the group are happy to share, so check it out and see how you get on, we're all on a learning curve.

Advertisement