Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh, to be a wedding photgrapher...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Two working days........to pick out photos and design an album??????:confused:

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

My wife decided to do the lay out on our wedding album her self.
    It's two years later and still not done. So, two working days seems pretty reasonable to me.

at the moment the main album I use is 80 pages with 120 + photos. I design the album then show the spreads to the couple. They have 2 rounds for edits built into the process. After it's singed off the album needs to be prepped for printing and everything given one final eyeball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WATM

In fairness, I think we need to differentiate the length of time that you might spend on an album if you were designing it for yourself, compared to the level of detail that you aim for when a client is paying you good money to document one of the most important days of their lives.

In the wedding photography business, reputation is everything. And while I may sound a bit of a perfectionist, you really do need to set the bar very high for both yourself and your client. If working an extra two or three hours on an album design to try a different layout means that your clients are happier, then in the long run everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I'm surprised there aren't more cases like this going to court. Maybe there are, we just don't see them.

While I have every sympathy for the couple in this case, you have to wonder what sort of research they did in finding their photographer. In saying that, it's quite easy to pull the wool over someone's eyes. There's one photographer in Ireland who uses stock photography in his wedding gallery, claims it as his own, and still gets bookings. It drives me crazy, but nothing you can do about it really. The guy in the article could've done something similar.

Another thing I can't stand is the use of models in a portfolio. (Maybe we're thinking of the same guy? :D)

It says nothing about the abilities of a photographer in a real wedding situation where you have milliseconds to react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

<delurk>

That story posted earlier is also covered on the bbc site - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8292164.stm

Couple of choice quotes posted on that page...
    I've been photographing weddings for over 10 years now and the industry has changed substantially. There are many photographers out there using sub-standard amateur equipment. The problem with underexposed photos in the church above is caused by the use of cheap lenses on a cheap camera body - 99% of churches do not allow flash photography so you need wide aperture lenses to cope with the low light conditions. The problem is that many people believe wedding photography is a less professional art than perhaps fashion or editorial. It is in fact probably the most demanding area of photography there is. You only have one chance, the lighting conditions are constantly changing and you have to keep people happy at the same time. I did a photography degree but only experience can teach you the pitfalls of this industry.
    Ian, Sevenoaks

We just didn't have the money to spend over £1,200 on photographs, so we bought loads of disposables and got people to send us pictures they had taken on their own cameras. The quality of these was brill. Your mates know how to take your best picture.
    Caroline, Winchester

Reminded me of the OP's comment about disposable cameras, vs. the viewpoint of the pros out there!

</delurk> :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

daycent wrote: »
    Another thing I can't stand is the use of models in a portfolio. (Maybe we're thinking of the same guy? :D)

It says nothing about the abilities of a photographer in a real wedding situation where you have milliseconds to react.
    Hehe no, not him, but I do know who you're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hehe no, not him, but I do know who you're talking about!

fill me in, this drives me mad... I've seen a few I am very suspicious about.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I thought some of you might find this entertaining..
    A wedding photographer has been ordered to reimburse a couple after a judge described photos of their big day as "woefully inadequate".

15400509.jpg Bride and gloom: poor lighting affected many of the shots

Marc and Sylvia Day paid Gareth Bowers, from Fresh Images, some £1,450 to take pictures of their marriage.
    But they were so unimpressed with the 400 snaps he took, only 22 of them were approved.
    The cutting of the cake was missed and most of the shots were poorly lit and crooked, with heads chopped off and guests not looking at the camera.
    Mr Day said: "Some of those memories we will never get back again.
    "(Mr Bowers) is the Don Quixote of wedding photography - he just doesn't believe that he can't do it."

15400510.jpg Wonky photos like this one also featured

A video made of the wedding misses the pair arriving and includes a moment where the operator drops his camera - and swears.
    "The videographer missed us turning up at the reception so he filmed the driver opening the car door with nobody inside it," Mrs Day, 50, from West Yorkshire, said.
    And to add insult to injury, some thank you cards provided for the couple to give to guests had both of their names spelt incorrectly.
    "Thank you - Slyvia & Mark," the cards read.
    This is despite the Days spending days going to 11 wedding fairs in the hope they would find the perfect service for their big day.
    They later sued Mr Bowers for the shoddy service.
    Deputy District Judge Keith Nightingale found in favour of the Days at Pontefract county court, ruling the work "woefully inadequate".
    He ordered the photographer to reimburse £500 and pay £450 damages, £170 court fees and £100 compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

WATM wrote: »
    In fairness, I think we need to differentiate the length of time that you might spend on an album if you were designing it for yourself, compared to the level of detail that you aim for when a client is paying you good money to document one of the most important days of their lives.

In the wedding photography business, reputation is everything. And while I may sound a bit of a perfectionist, you really do need to set the bar very high for both yourself and your client. If working an extra two or three hours on an album design to try a different layout means that your clients are happier, then in the long run everyone wins.

You don't know my wife :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

wow, they didn't get much compensation did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Fcek, another wedding thread..............:rolleyes:
    ........Daire ! come back with that popcorn :pac::D

in fairness to the guy he was at his sisters wedding and thought it looked easy.

fill me in, this drives me mad... I've seen a few I am very suspicious about.

The fella I'm thinking of seems to have taken those shots off his site. I'm sure he got a few handy bookings out of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Click Clicky

daycent wrote: »
    The fella I'm thinking of seems to have taken those shots off his site. I'm sure he got a few handy bookings out of them!

So he has. He still hasn't laid off the airbrush though.

So he has. He still hasn't laid off the airbrush though.

Ha! I was going to mention that in my last post :D He really loves that mannequin look!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Had an interesting chat with the guy at the printing lab today.

I've only just atarted using them, so the manager was kind enough to give me a little tour of the place and show me the workings (which were ridiculously impressive).

His reccomendations in terms of pricing structure were simple.
    "Take what we charge you, and multiply it by 5. Thats the only way you will make money"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

MarkR wrote: »
    I thought some of you might find this entertaining..

From the same story... look at this beaut.

15400543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Stee wrote: »

:D Look at that detail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Stee wrote: »

It's ... uhh ... High Key !

Advertisement