Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to upload 25gb of files to a server - Anywhere to go for this?

• 04-10-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

As per title, I am looking to upload about 25gb worth of files to a server. We only have a 3mb connection (with a 384 (kbps) upload speed) and cant get it upgraded due to the area we are in. It would literally take weeks for us to do it here.

So we are wondering if there is anywhere we can go to, give them our external hardrive with the files and with their high speed connection, upload the files to a server for a fee?

I would imagine they would need a 10mb+ upload speed to do this relatively quickly...

Ideally somewhere in the North-East region.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi,
    Is the server located in Ireland by any chance? Would it be in a hosting centre somewhere?

Thanks,
    Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ideally somewhere in the North-East region.

North East Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

jleavy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is the server located in Ireland by any chance? Would it be in a hosting centre somewhere?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Hi Joe,

The server is with Digiweb... not 100% where their hosting center is, but I am presuming either Dundalk or somewhere in Dublin.

From my experience with Digiweb... the chances of me ringing them up and trying to get them to do something out of the ordinary is non-existant...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you know anyone in college. Colleges have shít hot connections. Should get it done in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What kinda of data is on the disk?

You want the data to be accessible via the web or just availbale as a backup or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Digiweb's Data Centre is in Blanchardstown and I've uploaded chunks of files before.

Even with 384kb upload, you're talking less than 10 days :)

I'm sure the Digiweb guys are pretty flexible, some are quite active here on boards, and boards.ie itself is hosted with Digiweb.

Your best bet would be to contact the server owner and ask them to contact their account manager in Digiweb to see if it's possible.

Just a quick bit of advice, it's always easier to try and contact the right department and communication channel for the provider for something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi,
    In the 1st instant e-mail digiweb's hosting department directly: hosting@digiweb-ie and explain the situation to them. The hosting centre is in Blanchardstown (the NOC).

You could potentially register post it up to them (but get a contact name!) and go from there.

Just be aware if the data is confidential or not.

Keep us posted if you do run into hassle.
    Hi Joe,

The server is with Digiweb... not 100% where their hosting center is, but I am presuming either Dundalk or somewhere in Dublin.

From my experience with Digiweb... the chances of me ringing them up and trying to get them to do something out of the ordinary is non-existant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Thanks for all the advice.

I contacted Digiweb today and was advised to contact their NOC directly. So hopefully it can be done with relative ease.

Advertisement