Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it ok to go to Australia alone??

Options
  • 04-10-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I'm thinking of travelling to Oz for a one year working holiday visa. None of my friends are interested in going. I was wondering if there is other people in similar circumstances

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I went to Australia on my own a few years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I had nobody else to think about, if I wanted to move somewhere or do something I could just do it, I dident have to run it by someone else first. Most of the people who I met that went out there with friends ended up falling out with them at some stage, one good friend of mine out there done the trip with his best friend, they ended up getting on each others nerves so much by the end of the year they have not seen each other since.
    I was never on my own once, I met a couple of irish guys in the taxi from the airport to the hostel and hung out with them for a few days and never spent a night with nobody to talk to unless I wanted it.
    Go on your own and you will find yourself a lot quicker that if you have the same group of guys hanging round you that you do at home.
    You wont regret it, I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Wow. That sounds really good - think you just helped me to make up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I agree I went to Australia in 2004 on my own... didnt know anyone, and I am still here. Its easier to plan for one...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Couldn't have put it better than BlackEdelweiss did. I moved to Wellington and did know some ppl here, but on the way I travelled Japan, lots of the east coast of Oz, lots of NZ, and Thailand by myself and had a ball. You can live off your own timetable and you are forced to meet so many ppl you wouldn't otherwise. And you'll be shocked by the amount of ppl in the same boat. The hard bit is getting on the plane, but once you buy your ticket, you can't back out, and once the plane takes off, you can only look forward. Oh the excitement! Can't wait to travel by myself again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

My sis has just travelled through Asia on her own for a year and now is in Oz for 1-2 years. She has never been on her own either, unless she wanted too. I went to America on my own for the summer and prefered it on my own, because you just meet so many other people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

dave98 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of travelling to Oz for a one year working holiday visa. None of my friends are interested in going. I was wondering if there is other people in similar circumstances

Im doing it now and Im really glad that I did it you will meet people and have fun. The fact that you are asking at all leads me to believe that you will do it and so you should. Dont let fear stop you from having what could be the most fun time of your life.

When you get here Ill buy you a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Not to piss on the party, but just be ready to have to WORK when ye get here. Socially that is

I made a balls of plannin my first few months here so was less happy than I was in depressin Dublin!

I'd say stay in hostels til u get a job, and try your best to live with flatmates

Join sports clubs! Keep fit and make more mates

Work where your with people ur own age, like retail / bars

Offices may pay a bit extra, but suck for youngings like me tryin to make friends!

Do guided tours!

and as always, plan plan plan ahead

So yeah, defo do it. Life's about sussin things out for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Came to Ireland on my own (from New Zealand), well, I didn't arrive here on my own, but my friend lasted 5 days in Ireland (I still don't know what you did to her - hahaha).

I was so busy with getting things set up here that I barely noticed I was travelling alone. Was great too as when I decided I wanted to move up to Dublin, from Cork, I had noone to consider. It's absolutely nothing to worry about. I had a great time, and met my now (Irish) husband too (and what a catch he is!).

Go for it. Don't let others hold you back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Really reassuring thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dots84

hey...yep i came here on my own in June and its all going well.....defo recommend staying in a hostel at the start...its a great way to meet people....
    and as doc said ill meet ya for a drink too when ya get here.we'll have a welcome session for ya:)
    defo recommend coming over...u will regret it if u dont for sure!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Travelling on your own is definetly a great way to see Oz. I came over on my own knowing no one. My mate gave me a number of a guy in Perth and my cousin told me to call a mate of his, that was about it but now I've met so many people that that I plan on seeing again when I get home or further down the road.
    I'm just on my second year visa now, currently saving like crazy in the back arse of nowhere (don't ask where) so I can get a vehicle and travel the east coast.
    Best thing you can do is sit down in the common area with a box of goon (nasty vile shoite) and you'll get chatting to people easy. Generally most people are in the same boat, travelling, open minded and easy going. Ive actually come to prefer hanging out with non irish (not that I have anything against them) but I just find you start talking about other things instead of slagging each other off and the football.
    Enjoy your trip and if you go with an open mind you'll have a ball.

If your in Perth theres no better lad than Xavi to give you advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

Go for it Dave. I was in the same boat as yourself 2/3 months ago, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055647991

I was debating whether to do it or not. I'm heading out at the beginning of January. My plan is to hit Melbourne first for a few weeks and try and get work. But if this doesn't work out i'll travel to Sydney and try the same and then on to Brisbane if this doesn't work.

As Delboy says He who dares wins!! Bonjour:)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Go for it Dave.

As one of the guys said, staying in hostels will help you make friends, you'll meet plenty of people just moving around. I found joining a GAA club worked for me...haven't had a minute to myself since!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Doing it myself too in January, as someone else above said, he who dares Rodney, He who dares!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really thinking about doing this and wondering if there is a lot of soccer clubs in Aus? I figured that would be a good way to meet people as i play a lot of soccer here anyway.

Anybody been to Newcastle? Was recommended there by a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Corholio wrote: »
    Really thinking about doing this and wondering if there is a lot of soccer clubs in Aus? I figured that would be a good way to meet people as i play a lot of soccer here anyway.

Anybody been to Newcastle? Was recommended there by a friend.

Yes they're everywhere so you'll have no problem joining one. I was still in a hostel when I joined my first club and three seasons later I'm best mates with all the lads.

The clubs are very ethnic though so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

great to see that everyones giving it the thumbs up. going in jan myself. should get plenty of good advice here!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dace11

This is great! Planning on going in May 2010. Still putting it together. Did the people who went have a lot of cash on them. Im hoping to have a round 5k to keep me going and get any job I can get my hands on. If all else fails I have family in Sydney I can bum around for a week or so.

Bit nervous about travelling on my own but I surf here in ireland so i plan on sticking near the coast (Perth to sydney) and hopefully meet a new friend or two~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Best to try & fail.....than live with the regret of not having the balls!!!

As Townie said - 'You can do it' - (in the water boy film! :D )

Live the dream

dace11 wrote: »
    ....Bit nervous about travelling on my own but I surf here in ireland so i plan on sticking near the coast (Perth to sydney) and hopefully meet a new friend or two~

Beware of the little fishies bro :D
    http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/36776/news.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Mr Yellow wrote: »

Live the dream

Now thats the spirit I like to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Mr Yellow wrote: »

Live the dream
    Snap

I actually don't like Oz, headin home after xmas

But the point is I came here all by myself [dont wanna be....]

I gave it a good whack for over 3 months, and even though I'm dyin to head home, I'm still glad I came

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

I didnt come over here originaly on my own , but im on my own now in Sydney. its a great city / glad to see so many people are coming over in Jan . I'll join all you for a drink when you get here

unreggd wrote: »
    Snap

I actually don't like Oz, headin home after xmas

But the point is I came here all by myself [dont wanna be....]

I gave it a good whack for over 3 months, and even though I'm dyin to head home, I'm still glad I came

At least you tried my friend, no regrets.... 3 months is a short time so maybe stick it for another wee while, it might get better for ya

Advertisement