Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Coming to Ireland ??

• 04-10-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

I just seen on Gsmarena in their news section saying that Orange are launching the IPhone in the UK and Ireland ? Is that Rep of IReland or Northern anyone hear otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

RVN10 wrote: »
    I just seen on Gsmarena in their news section saying that Orange are launching the IPhone in the UK and Ireland ? Is that Rep of IReland or Northern anyone hear otherwise?

Looking at both the articles on GSMArena, "Vodafone UK playing catch up, will sell iPhone 3G / 3GS as well" and "Apples and Oranges: iPhone 3G and 3GS coming to Orange UK", I would say it's simply a mistake on GSMArena's part.

In addition, I can't see how another network could turn a profit in such a competitive territory as Ireland with 4 mobile networks, O2, Meteor, 3 and Vodafone, 1 MVNO, Tesco, and approximately 4 million potential subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Since Irish phone companies are notably more profitable than many places as revenue per user is higher, then there a possibilities. A MNVO offering a no nonsense service throughout the country would be one, given that the likes of O2 gouge you if you turn on your phone in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

ardmacha wrote: »
    Since Irish phone companies are notably more profitable than many places as revenue per user is higher, then there a possibilities. A MNVO offering a no nonsense service throughout the country would be one, given that the likes of O2 gouge you if you turn on your phone in the North.

While I agree that another MVNO could turn a profit, given the fact that it would be relying on existing network infrastructure, therefore saving time and money, another mobile network coming into the country, such as Orange, would most likely not attempt to enter the market as an MVNO and would attempt to build their own mobile network. As a result, this would not be in their best interest and a market such as this would prove more trouble than it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Orange are ****ing expensive enough in the UK so that probably means they'd fit right in over here.

Only use them cause i got the sim card for free, every time i go to england i get gouged. plenty of more people who signed up with orange because they got a free sim or a cheap locked handset and are getting ripped off now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their has been a few companies that looked into setting up here but never materialised, im guessing they couldn't see a big enough return for the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

maybe if they can march straight into the LTE days it will be worth while. but not before then

right now even a very low power LTE base station costs over $100k, wait a few more years

Advertisement