Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Ireland

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Evil_Clown wrote: »

It must make sense to everyone else at this stage.

And advocating Reid in the center too, just I would like to see him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Would really be good if Niall Quinn came out and made a statement on the Reid situation. As Reid said himself he doesn't feel the need to apologize, he is not a politician. But Quinn coming out in Reid's favour would certainly help his case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Would really be good if Niall Quinn came out and made a statement on the Reid situation. As Reid said himself he doesn't feel the need to apologize, he is not a politician. But Quinn coming out in Reid's favour would certainly help his case.

How exactly would this help??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

If Quinn apologised then Trap would know Reid is truly sorry for playing the guitar at 1am and he'll put him back in the team.

I think that would be a bad idea. It has to be Trap who lets him back in - his decision.

Outside interference would probably just stiffen Trap resolve (stubbornness).

• Advertisement

Quinn has a bit of clout here. And Quinn as an International should know what it means for Reid to play for his country. The more pressure that is put on the better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Quinn has a bit of clout here. And Quinn as an International should know what it means for Reid to play for his country. The more pressure that is put on the better
    He is a PL chairman, he isn't going to come out and say take my star player to play games.

CHD wrote: »
    He is a PL chairman, he isn't going to come out and say take my star player to play games.
    He is PL chairman who has played for Ireland and he sees Reid in action every week. He has clout and he has nothing much to lose by saying a word or two for Andy's cause.. Would have thought some of our former internationals would have stood a bit more for Andy but unfortunately not.. We can't expect FAI to do anything about it But at least Brian Kerr lent his support this week so fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Lads, I was browsing a number of different football forums recently and I came across this interesting comment on Andy Reid's continued exclusion:

"Andy Reid won't play for Ireland again while Trap's in charge, or at least that's what I've heard. One of my mate's housemates who works for the FAI said that's an open secret in there. Trap was apparently called in a long time ago to brief the higher ups on the falling out, and made it clear he won't pick him. Reid allegedly made a comment about one of Trap's staff which Trap has blacklisted him for."

Another poster had preceeded this post by saying Reid would never, ever play for Ireland under Trapattoni. These comments could be bull****, but when you think about the whole situation objectively, it could well be the true reason behind Reid's exclusion because he surely can't be omitted for footballing reasons at this stage. Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Evil_Clown wrote: »

That article is a bag of sh*te.. he calls Reid, "The most improved player of the season in the toughest league of them all".. well that wouldn't be hard - in the 10 games he's played this season, he's scored twice as many as he did in the entire 2008/09 season & is actually looking like the footballer that he should be, rather than the overpaid bag of fat that he was last season.

Cripes - that program "Football Saved My Life" was inspired by him, for f*cks sake!

c0e489ca-988a-4c1a-81c8-5ea597b8c20d.jpg

No room in the team for me, Mr, Trap?

• Advertisement

That article is a bag of sh*te.. he calls Reid, "The most improved player of the season in the toughest league of them all".. well that wouldn't be hard - in the 10 games he's played this season, he's scored twice as many as he did in the entire 2008/09 season & is actually looking like the footballer that he should be, rather than the overpaid bag of fat that he was last season.

Cripes - that program "Football Saved My Life" was inspired by him, for f*cks sake!

Facepalm...

People actually believe Reid was crap when he was heavier?

Nothing rong with that article, just your fascination with that man's weight.

Being the most improved player in the premm as Ireland was last year arguably, is no mean feat.

noodler wrote: »
    Facepalm...

People actually believe Reid was crap when he was heavier?

Nothing rong with that article, just your fascination with that man's weight.

Being the most improved player in the premm as Ireland was last year arguably, is no mean feat.

Can you try & speak a bit less incoherently please - I didn't get your point.

Way to go posting a pic of an overweight Andy Reid. I can go with another OP who said he insulted a member of Trap's staff as maybe a reason for excluding him but your post was a bit vindictive.

Can you try & speak a bit less incoherently please - I didn't get your point.

Less incoherently? I believe more coherently would be more appropriate.

Theres nothing wrong with what I have said, it just shoots down your post so you are being pedantic.

Deal with it.

Way to go posting a pic of an overweight Andy Reid. your post was a bit vindictive.

I didn't eat myself into that state. It might be alright for a darts player or golfer, but not a professional footballer.

Last time I checked he was the right weight. Its a red herring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

To be honest, I couldn't really care if Reid isn't in the Ireland team. He won't be travelling all over Europe playing needless friendlies or WC and European qualifying games and he has much less chance of picking up an injury.

Club over Country anyday of the week.

Yes we could do with Andy Reid at the moment. Too many high balls going in. Need more variety in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yes we could do with Andy Reid at the moment. Too many high balls going in. Need more variety in midfield.

should have waited 2 more minutes before posting tbh.

Yes we missed some bad chances tonight. So hard to know if Reid would have made a difference given we were unable to stick ball in net with exception of Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Delap and the two Reids. Get them in the f*cking squad.

Just how many games is Trap attending a week. Something going on there. He is our international manager but we rarely see him at Premiership games. Has he watched Reid in the flesh in last six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just how many games is Trap attending a week. Something going on there. He is our international manager but we rarely see him at Premiership games. Has he watched Reid in the flesh in last six months.

yawn, we had lots of chances 2nite without reid

See post 473

We badly needed him tonight. Shameful that he wasn't even in the squad because he could have made the difference in the last few mins. Instead, we had to rely on young Gibson, who hasn't played since September..... Maybe the rumour about Reid not playing again under Trap, which I posted on the previous page, is true after all..... Disappointing if it is! :(

Campaign over. Moaning can stop. Reid wouldn't have changed a thing imo. We will know where he stands next summer. Glad we don't have to listen to this crap any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't ever see Andy Reid fighting and putting in the effort the midfield did tonight. His lack of work ethic just doesn't fit into the squad.

Campaign over. Moaning can stop. Reid wouldn't have changed a thing imo. We will know where he stands next summer. Glad we don't have to listen to this crap any longer.

He would have been a much better option than Gibson.

Can't ever see Andy Reid fighting and putting in the effort the midfield did tonight. His lack of work ethic just doesn't fit into the squad.

What?

You obviously haven't watched him this season.

End of the day like Henry's handball there is an injustice here that needs to be put right. Not only has he been frozen out but his reputation is still being called into question despite a terrific season for Sunderland.
    Campaign doesn't stop until Reid gets back into that squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol at this thread. That people are still questioning the decision following last night's performance is utterly hilarious.

It doesnt change things at all. Take a look at the group. We won two games. Anyone who says we don't need Reid is talking nonsense.

It doesnt change things at all. Take a look at the group. We won two games. Anyone who says we don't need Reid is talking nonsense.
    You are talking alot of nonsense.

nine out of ten would beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

nine out of ten would beg to differ

I concur. Think Bulgaria (h&a) when we were craving someone to put a foot on the ball.

I concur. Think Bulgaria (h&a) when we were craving someone to put a foot on the ball.
    Yes the people have spoken. Will leave it for time being. But if Reid is not named in squad for our European Championship campaign...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Steven Reid on his way to join QPR for a month, he obviously needs a bit of match practice but still a tad bit strange.

See Andy Reid got another standing ovation today. Well done Andy. Fight the good fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

If Keith Andrews was able to play through balls beyond the French back four, could you imagine what Andy Reid could've done! :O

Let's leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I tried to avoid this thread but I'm bringing it back!

Andy Reid playing guitar for a Sunderland charity event, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/8381615.stm

Not bad I suppose.

JPA wrote: »
    I tried to avoid this thread but I'm bringing it back!

Andy Reid playing guitar for a Sunderland charity event, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/8381615.stm

Not bad I suppose.
    Thread is not about Andy Reid's guitar playing. Thats what got him into trouble in the first place

• Advertisement

Why do i keep clicking in here. Should be an ignore thread option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was looking for a light hearted addition to the thread, not looking for any serious discussion.

Why do i keep clicking in here. Should be an ignore thread option.
    Nobody has posted here in a week so don't know why you clicked in here. But thats beside the point.

Bit of light at the end of tunnel following Niall Quinn statement yesterday. Fingers crossed

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/quinn-reid-will-get-chance-under-trap-mcilroy-i-tried-to-get-gibson-on-north-side-1962901.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bit of light at the end of tunnel following Niall Quinn statement yesterday. Fingers crossed

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/quinn-reid-will-get-chance-under-trap-mcilroy-i-tried-to-get-gibson-on-north-side-1962901.html

:confused: How is that "light at the end of the tunnel? Quinn has about as much influence over Traps selection policies as you or I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

eh, no. quinn merely says he believes reid will get a chance at some stage. he doesnt even say he is gonna talk to trap on his behalf which might represent possible light at the end of the tunnel but as already mentioned even if he did this it would have no real effect. besides why on earth would quinn do this. he is a premier league chairman now and they as a whole have been trying to end their players involvement in internationals for a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yep, no light there for me!

watch this space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd imagine that Reid may well get a chance now that the qualification campaign is over. Trap's made his point, Reid has turned his career around it seems, so it's all good in the hood I hope. At the same time, if Trap doesn't take him back, it won't greatly upset me too much.

Advertisement