Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Even on this video of Martin Rowlands - Kevin Keegan Dennis Wise might of bought him for newcastle on that.. he seems to has a bit of skill and pace. :pac:

Clearly Andy Reid doesnt fit in the system/team - if Giovanni Trapattoni sees him as a left winger (in his view - three other players are ahead of him in that position)

This is no different to that of Brady and Charlton/Keane and Benítez and even Veron/Ferguson (to a degree - as you remember Ferguson adjusted his winning formation from a 442 to a 451 for Veron, it didnt work out) etc (Just some examples of players not fitting systems/teams and missing out.. )

Please remember the role of the two central midfields at present are to hold position and defend. Maybe because we dont have the best defenders in the world! plus We dont have any leaders in these positions.

what about the other players.. the may deserve a call up.
    Clinton Morrison - deserves a call up.
    Anthony Stokes - maybe.
    James O'Connor - maybe.

We should respect the managers view and get behind the current team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even on this video of Martin Rowlands - Kevin Keegan Dennis Wise might of bought him for newcastle on that.. he seems to has a bit of skill and pace. :pac:

Clearly Andy Reid doesnt fit in the system/team - if Giovanni Trapattoni sees him as a left winger (in his view - three other players are ahead of him in that position)

This is no different to that of Brady and Charlton/Keane and Benítez and even Veron/Ferguson (to a degree - as you remember Ferguson adjusted his winning formation from a 442 to a 451 for Veron, it didnt work out) etc (Just some examples of players not fitting systems/teams and missing out.. )

Please remember the role of the two central midfields at present are to hold position and defend. Maybe because we dont have the best defenders in the world! plus We dont have any leaders in these positions.

what about the other players.. the may deserve a call up.
    Clinton Morrison - deserves a call up.
    Anthony Stokes - maybe.
    James O'Connor - maybe.

We should respect the managers view and get behind the current team.

LMAO.

Despite the fact Duff is injured?

I play defensive midfielder for my club, you know? So I should be in the Ireland squad ahead of Andy Reid cos I fit the system right?

WRONG cos he's about 10 times better than me irregardless. Exact same situation applies with Whelan and Gibson and Andrews.

I get behind the team every game so don't start to preach - but we have been extremely lucky until now and are going to have the odds severely stacked against us in a possible play-off. We haven't beaten a major nation for 7 years and we aren't going to with our current setup of letting the opposition have the ball for 80 minutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

noodler wrote: »
    LMAO.

Despite the fact Duff is injured?

I play defensive midfielder for my club, you know? So I should be in the Ireland squad ahead of Andy Reid cos I fit the system right?

WRONG cos he's about 10 times better than me irregardless. Exact same situation applies with Whelan and Gibson and Andrews.

I get behind the team every game so don't start to preach - but we have been extremely lucky until now and are going to have the odds severely stacked against us in a possible play-off. We haven't beaten a major nation for 7 years and we aren't going to with our current setup of letting the opposition have the ball for 80 minutes.

I think your putting words in his mouth there,
    of course not a situation where it's anybody but reid to fit the system but when there are viable options the manager is making the call.

Personally I don't think he's made the right decision - he's the boss. He's the gaffer. At the end of the day what he says goes, the buck stops with him.

Right now his decisions have put us in a position we shouldn't be in - and to be honest if Steven Reid was fit, and Steven Ireland was allowing himself the indignity of putting on the green shirt then we wouldn't be talking about this.

Andy's performances have come on alot at club after a career of bein overweight - if wanted to be playing at the top level and contributing fruitfully to the Ireland setup he should of quite simple got his act together sooner - sure if he now keeps up the effort and commitment he seems to be showing he'll get back in the squad.

Overall I'd rate Hunt as far better on the wing and Lawrence as a better all round player in the middle.

I am going to stop you right there MD. Any insinuation that Reid was dropped for footballing reasons is lacking in hindsight. Andy Reid was an integral part of the Ireland setup under the last manager (despite how that ended up) and after the home Germany game we were all raving about actually building a team around him. This was back when he still looked a little overweight to us all yet was securing moves to various premiership clubs and performing well for his country.

It is easy to say look at the table if you doubt Trap given the bodyblow that the last campaign was but we should be aiming higher and I will reiterate how lucky I feel we have been. Cypriots could easily of had a result against us at home, the ludicrous Georgia peno incident, the Italy Redcard, being outplayed for the vast majority of the Bulgaria games yet still coming out unbeaten yada yada.

This team can not keep the ball, it also has trouble creating chances, it also lacks a goal threat from midfield (or out wide if you want). The man who has all these attribute is being left out in the cold for stupid reasons whilst Trap goes out of his way to xall up the most obscure names he can possibly get away with in an attempt to further put the man down.

Reid was wrong in what he did (I assume, I wasn't actually there) but I can't think of any exageration I could personally put on the 'Gutair Incident' story to make his omission from an entire qualifying campaign justified whilst we beg and pray for another player to return who actually misled the country to get out of playing (I have the utmost of sympathy for Ireland given his reasons there btw).

This isn't all about the horrible way we play atm btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Pighead wrote: »
    Agree with what you're saying, but just for your information, Miller signed a 2 year deal with Hibernian a couple of weeks back.

No sooner had I posted that, I read the same on wikipedia, so atleast he's training. Anyone know if he's played any games yet?

EDIT: 3 appearances. Jesus I need to read before posting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Miller + Rowlands out
    A. Reid + Fahey in

Should've been simple for this match. When Duff, S. Reid and Gibson are fit he can reconsider the midfield squad but for this match it should've picked itself. I'm beginning to think Trap may be too stubborn for his own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Sean7 wrote: »
    Miller + Rowlands out
    A. Reid + Fahey in

Should've been simple for this match. When Duff, S. Reid and Gibson are fit he can reconsider the midfield squad but for this match it should've picked itself. I'm beginning to think Trap may be too stubborn for his own good.
    Yes would have be been a recogniftion for domestic game if Fahey had got call up. Remember this time last year he was playing with Pats. And he spreads the ball well.
    Btw tickets still available for Italian game as there have been ads all week for them. Does that tell you anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

whycliff wrote: »
    If he's not called up with Duff,Reid and Gibson injured well then its beyond a farce... i wait to see what happens, but i'm not holding my breath on the issue.
    Martin Rowlands does not deserve to be in the squad, neither does Miller, Andy reid be be absoultely sick.And who could blame him.
    I'm all for teaching him a lesson, but not at the expense of the best interests of the irish football team

But we're in a very good position at the moment? :confused:

Don't see what all the fuss is about, Andy Reid is not good enough, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Not good enough to make the squad in comparison to who??
    So you think All of the midfielders in the squad are better than Andy Reid?

• Advertisement

We are only in a good position until we reach the play offs. and then we seriously have to think about what team we are going to put out. Leaving Andy Reid out means we are not using all the resources at our disposal.
    Andrews and Whelan are honest players but we need more if we are to break down the bigger teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

It will all end in tears....give it a lash Trap

at least he'll still be here to pick up the pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Btw tickets still available for Italian game as there have been ads all week for them. Does that tell you anything?

The 8o'Clock KO and the fact you have to buy a Montenegro ticket too would be putting a lot of people off. Cost me €140 for my tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Yes would have be been a recogniftion for domestic game if Fahey had got call up. Remember this time last year he was playing with Pats. And he spreads the ball well.
    I went into the FAI shop under O' Carrolls to buy a ticket yesterday and refused because i had to buy one for Wed night also (working so can't make it).. The lad who was working there told me to come back Thursday/Friday as he was told they more than likely will be selling them as singles to the Italian game then due to the fact that they will be left with between 10 and 12,000 tickets otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He has created 6 goals in his last 6 appearances for Sunderland, and he is literally half the man he was last season in terms of weight. I don't care what the sheep say Trapattoni is a f***ing idiot for not picking him, and selecting Liam Miller in the squad ahead of him in particular. We have a small pool of talent and can't afford to be leaving out our best players. He plays mainly on the left for Sunderland but can also operate in the centre where he is badly needed.

I follow Sunderland and have been watching his progress closely btw.

Oh the irony fcukin priceless :rolleyes:

All i want to know is who 8% of idiots are??

• Advertisement

Then you don't know enough about football, quite simply.
    Oh the irony fcukin priceless :rolleyes:

Its not really ironic. Steve Bruce has called him the best player at the club over the past month or so but you go ahead and dismiss the opinion because he is a Sunderland fan.

ts not really ironic. Steve Bruce has called him the best player at the club over the past month or so but you go ahead and dismiss the opinion because he is a Sunderland fan.

I think you missed the point noodler, I find it hilariously ironic that he accuses any Irish soccer fan who supports Trap in this case as a ''sheep'' yet he is a self proclaimed Irish soccer fan who supports Sunderland :rolleyes:

Stick to the thread topic so?

But yes I clearly missed your point your one word reply alluded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭madmandaniel

It's really a joke than Andy Reid isnt in the squad.. Trappattoni is being a stubborn bastard!
    Remember Ireland vs Germany at croker for the Euro qualifiers, i was at the stadium and he completely ran the midfield and played a few killer through balls that would have been finished by anyone apart from Robbie Keane (although i must say fair play to Keano he has been playing a lot better under Trapattoni)
    Anyway i'd say 0-0 draw on Saturday making the montenegro game pretty pointless as Italy wont slip up at home vs Cyprus who have nothing to play for...
    Hope we dont get Croatia in the play-offs as they would destroy us home and away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

If Trap sees Andy Reid as a left winger, then now is the ideal time to call him as replacement to Duff.

If Trap sees Andy Reid as a central midfielder, then now is the ideal time to call him as replacement to Gibson or S. Reid

If Trap sees Andy Reid as an attacker, then now is the ideal time to call him as replacement to Folan (Best can still be used as a target man).

I cannot see Reid ever being called up again when he has failed to make this squad. If I was managing, I too may have some reservations about starting Reid. But he is the erfect player to bring on when you need a goal, somebody with creativity.

I'm all for keeping a stable squad as well and fostering a team spirit but there should be some kind of flexibility in it, Is this the first time Rowlands hae been called up?

There should be absolutely no reason for Reid not being called into the squad at this stage. Same applies to Clinton Morrisson (Banging in the goals but Noel Hunt gets called up instead???) but thats for another thread...

• Advertisement

nollaig wrote: »

I cannot see Reid ever being called up again when he has failed to make this squad. If I was managing, I too may have some reservations about starting Reid. But he is the erfect player to bring on when you need a goal, somebody with creativity.

Doubt you'd get many arguments on here that A. Reid should go straight into the side at this stage but to not have him as an option when every Tom, Dick and Rowlands is getting a call up?? a willing player currentley doing his stuff in the Premiership!

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Trappatoni :rolleyes:

If this was in the UK, be it Scotland, England or Wales the media would be all over it, putting pressure on Trap to bring Reid back in.
    We're in Ireland however and the media aren't as damning at the moment because things are going relatively ok.
    But when we look back on thin group in several months time when we are not going to the World Cup, we will see where we went wrong and the failing of Trap.
    We are playing Dire football, scraping results against some very poor nations.

**We don't need Andy Reid**

reads Trappatoni in todays herald... we have Hunt, Keogh and McGeady....Rowlands was a straight replacement for Gibson.....he then goes onto to talk of his initial training camp in Portugal where he had a look at players and Reid was absent blah blah blah.....load of claptrap

Then you don't know enough about football, quite simply.

I'm glad to be siding with Trappatoni on this one instead of you. Apologies if this offends you but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing by leaving out Reid from the squad. It's laughable that this (along with S. Ireland) is still being talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

they fell out over a sing song. FACT!

Can someone elaborate on this ? What was the falling out over ?? Such a crock of sh1te that Rowlands gets called up ahead of A Reid

whycliff wrote: »
    If this was in the UK, be it Scotland, England or Wales the media would be all over it, putting pressure on Trap to bring Reid back in.
    We're in Ireland however and the media aren't as damning at the moment because things are going relatively ok.
    But when we look back on thin group in several months time when we are not going to the World Cup, we will see where we went wrong and the failing of Trap.
    We are playing Dire football, scraping results against some very poor nations.

Firstly if this was in England it wouldnt even cause a ripple cos Andy Reid is nowhere near the standard of any midfielder ever capped by England.

Secondly he wouldnt get on the Scottish team either, Scott Brown, Barry Ferguson and Darren Fletcher are all far better players.

So that leaves the welsh probably get in there alright bu thats hardly a boast.

As for looking back at our group and wondering why we didnt top it, you do realise we are a tiny dot in hte world of international football drawn in a group with the current world chapions, as third seeds I might add and with only two games remaining both at home we actually still have a chance of topping the group.

I'm glad to be siding with Trappatoni on this one instead of you. Apologies if this offends you but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing by leaving out Reid from the squad. It's laughable that this (along with S. Ireland) is still being talked about.

Give your reasons as to why you think Andy Reid does not deserve to be in the squad, then someone might take you serious.

Well I've seen him play for Ireland and I've seen him play for various club teams. He's just not good. I find it bizarre that people would actually like to see him play against the likes of Italy. Jesus christ.

Why did I say I'm pretty sure? Um, eh, well, maybe it's because Trappatoni is the manager of the team and has got us to a good spot with an absolutely dire team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Well I've seen him play for Ireland and I've seen him play for various club teams. He's just not good. I find it bizarre that people would actually like to see him play against the likes of Italy. Jesus christ.

Why did I say I'm pretty sure? Um, eh, well, maybe it's because Trappatoni is the manager of the team and has got us to a good spot with an absolutely dire team?

So you presumably think he's a worse player than those currently in the squad and that they are better suited for playing Italy?

Yes. I'm thinking the same way as Trap is thinking. Shock horror.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The fact that Andy Reid hasn't been called up to this squad, even after the injuries to Duff, Gibson and Folan is absolutely shocking.

Trap is a good manager, and so that tells me it's not a football decision but a personal one. Even if he hates Reid, he would make the squad way better. get fn over yourself mate.

I'll repeat myself. Shocking.

These are threadbare times....he's no worse and certainly arguably better than what's currently there

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The fact that Andy Reid hasn't been called up to this squad, even after the injuries to Duff, Gibson and Folan is absolutely shocking.

Trap is a good manager, and so that tells me it's not a football decision but a personal one. Even if he hates Reid, he would make the squad way better. get fn over yourself mate.

I'll repeat myself. Shocking.

Directed at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Ehh what? Have you watched any of sunderlands latest matches mate? Hes pretty useful to be honest.

Yes I have. And I'm not your 'mate'.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    I went into the FAI shop under O' Carrolls to buy a ticket yesterday and refused because i had to buy one for Wed night also (working so can't make it).. The lad who was working there told me to come back Thursday/Friday as he was told they more than likely will be selling them as singles to the Italian game then due to the fact that they will be left with between 10 and 12,000 tickets otherwise.
    Amazing. Fans deserve better treatment than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm glad to be siding with Trappatoni on this one instead of you. Apologies if this offends you but I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing by leaving out Reid from the squad.
    Your reasoning for Reid's omission is laughable. You're basically saying that Trap is infallible and there is no way he could possibly be making a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes! Even me and I'm brilliant!

Alex Ferguson is regarded as the greatest manager of the past twenty or so years. Has he made mistakes? Of course he has! Selling Jaap Stam to Lazio was a huge blooper! You were probably saying at the time "Listen up everybody, if Ferguson says it was the right decision well then it was the right decision"

Robert DeNiro one of the greatest actors of our time starred in "Rocky and Bulwinkle" a few years back. Huge huge mistake! You probably wouldn't hear a bad word said about it because DeNiro shouldn't be questioned having starred in so many classics in years gone by.

Listen pal, even the greats make mistakes. Telling us we shouldn't question Traps because he is such a legendary manager is blinkered and naive. Open your eyes and think for yourself and embrace the wonder that is Andy Reid (or at least admit he's better than Andy Keogh)

No one can say this isnt personal between Trap and Reid. Trap is picking every unknown player ahead of him despite the fact that Reid is in great form at the moment. On footballing abiilty,, It just doesn't make sense to leave him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Yes I have. And I'm not your 'mate'.

Listen pal, theres no need for that sort of attitude. Chill out bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Cant believe he's not in the team.I mean losing the weight and his recent performances show his attitude has changed.Maybe Trap is just to arrogant to be proved wrong?
    Listen pal, theres no need for that sort of attitude. Chill out bud.
    Hey he aint your bud either:P

It's down to the fact that he's not a good player and just doesn't suit this system (or many systems for that matter).

Guys, he ain't Maradona, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

It's down to the fact that he's not a good player and just doesn't suit this system (or many systems for that matter).

I'm with you there, but he should still be in the squad to provide options. Even if it's on the bench.
    Wonder what he did that night when he was up playing guitar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say! Are you saying that if you are not up to the standard of Maradona you shouldn't be in the squad?

Hopefully not all the teams will be using this criteria when picking their squads for the world cup. If they do we could be spending next summer watching tumbleweed blowing across the pitches in S. Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Pighead wrote: »
    What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say! Are you saying that if you are not up to the standard of Maradona you shouldn't be in the squad?

Hopefully not all the teams will be using this criteria when picking their squads for the world cup. If they do we could be spending next summer watching tumbleweed blowing across the pitches in S. Africa.

Yeah, but at least clinton morrison would be able to put the ball into an empty net in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Yeah, but at least clinton morrison would be able to put the ball into an empty net in the final.

I bet he's still manage to fall on his arse doing it.

• Advertisement

Yes I was being entirely serious with my Maradona comment.

The reason ain't nothing to do with a guitar. It's to do with his (lack of) talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Holy crap you're all being trolled something fierce. Don't feed them lads, don't feed them.

Quint wrote: »
    I'm with you there, but he should still be in the squad to provide options. Even if it's on the bench.
    Wonder what he did that night when he was up playing guitar?

Me thinks Trappatoni is doing it more out of stubborness more than anything, won't bow to the press's demands and he holds all the cards while the team is getting "results"....it will come unstuck eventually, hopefully he reasses his "system" for the next campaign

Yes I was being entirely serious with my Maradona comment.

The reason ain't nothing to do with a guitar. It's to do with his (lack of) talent.

Something that whelan,andrews,gibson,rowlands,lawerence all possess in abundance...All maradona's in their own right..

I agree, its now so clear and it only took you to point it out.

Any opinion on the theory of evolution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Me thinks Trappatoni is doing it more out of stubborness more than anything, won't bow to the press's demands and he holds all the cards while the team is getting "results"....it will come unstuck eventually, hopefully he reasses his "system" for the next campaign

Well the likelihood is that we will be playing a playoff against a good team. We will probably be beaten. Trapatoni will be slated after that for not calling up Reid. Without calling up Reid, He is not giving Ireland the best chance to qualify.

• Advertisement
Advertisement