Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Assume you heard he tested positive for a banned substance
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1009/lippim.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seems like a technicality though, doubt he will miss the Cyprus game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

paperwork mix up. nothing to see here

kryogen wrote: »
    paperwork mix up. nothing to see here
    Yes its a very grey area. Insect sting a good one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dogpile wrote: »
    the good news I'm working on :rolleyes:

a good chance of getting to the Euros?

Trap on Reid in Wednesday's herald.

"He's not like McGeady or Lawrence -- we have players who play on the line with very specific characteristics. There is no argument for having him," said Trap.

"When I arrived and we went to Portugal, I wanted to look at the players and understand their qualities. This player was injured at the time so I looked at the other players, and we played against Colombia and Serbia and found the team we were looking for with certain characteristics.

Bench

"Since then, we have discovered other players in this position and we can't keep changing," said Trapattoni, before conceding the point that he was only looking for players with similar qualities to the ones he already has to populate his bench. So we can forget about anything of an expansive nature for the next two years.

"That's a fair assumption to make. If I was already qualified I would give him the chance, but we're not."

Intriguingly, Trap suggested that his initial assessment of the Irish squad pushed him towards either Reid or Stephen Ireland playing behind his main striker.

Reid's name came up in the context of Martin Rowland's call-up as a midfield replacement and Trapattoni placed the Sunderland midfielder in a box.

"Andy Reid is an offensive player. I needed a midfielder for Darron Gibson. Against Man Utd he played well against John O'Shea, but we have McGeady, Hunt and Keogh in this position."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Andy Reid was on Soccer AM showing off his latest tattoo this morning :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I wonder if Trap uses Pro Zone?

Andy Reid is consistantly in the bottom five percentile in the premiership when it comes to distance covered in a game, this is even so this year if people say he's got fitter. Arsenal players tend to be on the lower part of the curve too but this is because they keep the ball longer than other teams and thus not racking up the kilometres chasing the game. This is not so for Sunderland though and there's a big difference in Reid distance covered in comparison to the others.

Bruce obviously thinks it's worth having him in the team for is ability but a manager that has always built his teams around industry first over ability ( trappatoni) is never going to pick him.

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I wonder if Trap uses Pro Zone?

Andy Reid is consistantly in the bottom five percentile in the premiership when it comes to distance covered in a game, this is even so this year if people say he's got fitter. Arsenal players tend to be on the lower part of the curve too but this is because they keep the ball longer than other teams and thus not racking up the kilometres chasing the game. This I'd not so for Sunderland though and there's a big difference in Reid distance covered in comparison to the others.

Bruce obviously thinks it's worth having him in the team for is ability but a manager that has always built his teams around industry first over ability ( trappatoni) is never going to pick him.

Not that I don't believe you but have you got a link?

At some stage the whole "I love grafters" bit has to give away to people who can actually play football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

noodler wrote: »
    Not that I don't believe you but have you got a link?

Nope, my friend is researching Pro Zone as part of his PhD in statistics. Some of the findings are really interesting- I'll start a thread on it when I get time, it'll make for some good conversation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

eamon is mad for a bitta reid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Eamon is right about Reid. We need him badly when our midfield next week will consist of Andrews and Rowland. Hope Trap will realize that we need either Ireland or Andy Reid for the Play-Offs

If Traps reaction to Tony O D's question on Reid is anything to go by think we can forget about it. But we live in hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

ANyone see traps interview after the game. Tony Donoughue asked him about reid coming back, its definetly a big fat no, no chance in hell he is coming back after traps reaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Trappatoni is just too ****ing proud and stubborn, to give Reid a chance now could be to admit he was maybe wrong....the numerous friendlies was a chance to try something different but no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

itsa pity really..imagine...(bear with me for a second)...if everything was all rosey and there was no bullsh1t and we had reid, ireland and a fully fit duff in the squad..we wouldnt be half bad heading to south africa. the backs did well,robbie was tracking back and making life difficult, aiden mageady showed his ability, and we had hunt off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Eamon is right about Reid. We need him badly when our midfield next week will consist of Andrews and Rowland. Hope Trap will realize that we need either Ireland or Andy Reid for the Play-Offs

Bringin in Ireland now would be a disgrace. Forget about that fella. Hes no more part of the Irish national team as is Frank Lampard.

What odds on Dunphy showing up at a pre match press conference before Montenegro game.
    This Reid issue is not going to go away. Yes McGeady put in some decent crosses but really there is a lack of class in midfield. Its all huff and puff but very little creativity.
    Like I said against a better team we will be found out and I think it will be in the play offs.
    But cant see Trap changing his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If Traps reaction to Tony O D's question on Reid is anything to go by think we can forget about it. But we live in hope!

When he asked of the people of Ireland were satisfied with the team I thought he was going to say, "If ye are not happy you can fnck off, I'm away" :D

Would have been a class TV moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What odds on Dunphy showing up at a pre match press conference before Montenegro game.
    This Reid issue is not going to go away. Yes McGeady put in some decent crosses but really there is a lack of class in midfield. Its all huff and puff but very little creativity.
    Like I said against a better team we will be found out and I think it will be in the play offs.

We know. You'd think people would have got the message by now

HE'S NOT GETTING PICKED

Andy Reid comes back. Does this turn the other three into world beaters?

As John once sang
    ALL WE ARE SAYING, IS GIVE REID A CHANCE!!!

Dunphy has an Andy fetish

Sounness and Giles also say he should be in team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

joe123 wrote: »
    Bringin in Ireland now would be a disgrace. Forget about that fella. Hes no more part of the Irish national team as was Tony Cascarino.
    FYP

Yes lets not drag S Ireland into this. Its been discussed to death elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

His attitude stinks, the squad needs to be all pulling their weight in one direction, especially with a World Cup, we can't afford to have the same fiasco as last time. Any time I've seen him play for Ireland he's been very average.
    This is the same Andy Reid who hired a personal trainer, trained 6 days a week for June and July and lost two stone in weight? The same Andy Reid who has been the best Irish player in Britain so far this year? If you think he's been average, you've not seen him that often.

*What i'd really like to know is what planet those 22 people who voted no are on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ive voted no mistakenely. I think Andy Reid should return to the set up but not to the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

People say that McGeady would be a definite starter if only his final ball was good.
    People also say Reid has the best crosses/passes on the team.

Surely Trap could make them work together, ie McGeady go past a few players, then play it back to Reid, who plays a good cross in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Trap should play a 4/3/3 formation against Montengro to prove that he and the team has some adaptability.

We need another midfielder in the middle of the park.
    We could have Whelan and Andrews with some one with a bit of creativity e.g. Andy Reid, Keith Fahey, Aiden McGeady (or the Chav international from Manchester if he could be bothered)

Doyle and Keane with whichever winger Trap prefers from Lawrence, Duff, Mcgeady or Hunt.

Its time Trap showed us a bit of flexability in his thinking. We definitely need some creativity in the middle of the field.

Hopefully Stephen Reid can get fit as he the best all round midfielder that we have.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    People say that McGeady would be a definite starter if only his final ball was good.
    People also say Reid has the best crosses/passes on the team.

Surely Trap could make them work together, ie McGeady go past a few players, then play it back to Reid, who plays a good cross in.
    This was traps logic for not playing Reid (from herald last week)

"Andy Reid is an offensive player. I needed a midfielder for Darron Gibson. Against Man Utd he played well against John O'Shea, but we have McGeady, Hunt and Keogh in this position."

For me Trap is just tripping himself up here. Anyone who saw Reid in United game will know he gives us far more attacking options.
    McGeady and Hunt are good at running at players but end of the day neither of them put enough good ball in to trouble defenses.
    Really its beyond me how Reid is being left out. He reminds me very much of Brady the way he puts the ball about.
    After that Fahey is someone Trap needs to consider as well. Can play both on the wings and in the centre and I think he has enough games behind him at this stage for Birmingham.

Sounness and Giles also say he should be in team.

They mean should but he isnt and wont be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I posted in the other thread that the fact that he's not even in the squad shows that it's a personal, not technical issue with Trap. This raises serious questions about Trap's management imo. We can't afford to have players of his quality left out in the cold. Whatever Reid said to offend him, Trap should be big enough to bury the hatchet and bring him back to the fold at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Reid's a very talented player and probably in the absence of Stevie, the most composed in terms of picking out a pass but I genuinely doubt he'd make the dramatic impact some are suggesting. For all his strengths there are obvious weaknesses- he can at times be sloppy in possession and despite having exceptional vision, that might actually be more of a hindrance than a help, much like Ibrahimovic with Sweden. He's so intelligent that the others can't keep so he's sliding balls into spaces that the supporting attackers don't pick up on.

Beyond that, Trap seems very set in his ways tactically- a rigid 4-4-2 with two quite defensively minded/grafting midfielders with out and out wingers. Reid is probably best deployed as a 'roamer' and if that doesn't tie in with the manager's system of playing he might be wasted anyway.

Just something to think about- don't get me wrong, I'd welcome him back but there's two sides to every story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Col MCFC wrote: »
    Reid's a very talented player and probably in the absence of Stevie, the most composed in terms of picking out a pass but I genuinely doubt he'd make the dramatic impact some are suggesting. For all his strengths there are obvious weaknesses- he can at times be sloppy in possession and despite having exceptional vision, that might actually be more of a hindrance than a help, much like Ibrahimovic with Sweden. He's so intelligent that the others can't keep so he's sliding balls into spaces that the supporting attackers don't pick up on.

Beyond that, Trap seems very set in his ways tactically- a rigid 4-4-2 with two quite defensively minded/grafting midfielders with out and out wingers. Reid is probably best deployed as a 'roamer' and if that doesn't tie in with the manager's system of playing he might be wasted anyway.

Just something to think about- don't get me wrong, I'd welcome him back but there's two sides to every story.

All well and good but doesn't excuse him not being there as an option at the very least....imagine a scenario in the playoffs, we're a goal down with half an hour to go in the 2nd leg after a scoreless 1st leg....are Whelan/Andrews capable of pushing us on in midfield? NO would Miller/Gibson or Rowlands make a difference? NO....should Reid or Fahey be an option? clearly YES

lol, imagine how much Italy would have beaten us by if this guy was playing.

no way of knowing.

you'd be sacrificing some work rate for the ability to keep the ball for longer periods.

Grosso would have destroyed us. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

No offence Cattenaccio but you have no way of knowing what would have transpired if Reid had played and given your bold predictions before the match (Italy to win at least 3-0 with Lippi playing a completely different formation to what he had used previously!) I'd be inclined to come to the conclusion that you're a bit rubbish at predicting the future!

wow, does this expression grate me.

it's not 'end of'. you don't have the power to tell exactly how a game will pan out.

trap's gameplan worked, excellently. but reid is not a lump that doesn't run. he can still tackle and work hard; not to the same level of a Whelan or Andrews, but he can. and he compensates with his composure on the ball.

he could easily have thrived in that game. you or I don't know what would have happened; but to say Grosso would have won the game for Italy if Reid had been playing is very very presumptious.

especially considering your 3-0 Italy prediction came so wonderfully true.

i wouldn't be so quick to make definitive statements.

oh dear

Pighead wrote: »
    No offence Cattenaccio but you have no way of knowing what would have transpired if Reid had played and given your bold predictions before the match (Italy to win at least 3-0 with Lippi playing a completely different formation to what he had used previously!) I'd be inclined to come to the conclusion that you're a bit rubbish at predicting the future!

Well I know he wouldn't have done a job like the one Lawrence did. It's not his game.

As for my prediction, yep, I got it wrong. But I was right in saying that our defence would concede more than one goal (some people hear thought that we were defensively brilliant or something). I thought Lippi would start with the diamond but for some reason he went back to the other system with one up top. Changed it for the last 10 mins though, where the two strikers combined to get the winner.

Well I know he wouldn't have done a job like the one Lawrence did. It's not his game.

tbf, Lawrence didnt offer much offensively,(dont bother mentioning the free kick please, it was a pass backwards, it was a set piece that anyone could hav carried out as im sure it was a pre planned one) he refused to take his man on and try beat him down the outseide, i lost count of how many times he cut back when in a one on one, the only time i remember him going down the outside and putting a cross in was when there was clearly noone in the box!! was an odd decision wasnt it! And if you want to say he was there for his tracking back and all that, i.e. not meant to be a real attacking threat then why not just start stephen hunt? guaranteed to get your work rate out of him also with probably the same amount of attacking intent

your comment about Italy hammering us if Reid had played is completely unfounded, its imposible to know what way the game would have gone.

wait for it.........................End of!!!!

As for my prediction, yep, I got it wrong. But I was right in saying that our defence would concede more than one goal (some people hear thought that we were defensively brilliant or something). I thought Lippi would start with the diamond but for some reason he went back to the other system with one up top. Changed it for the last 10 mins though, where the two strikers combined to get the winner.

Maybe not, maybe he would have been on the left instead?

Maybe he would have ensured we held onto the ball alot better and didn't give it away in the last few minutes?

Perhaps he would have had some end product to his play, unlike McGeady.

• Advertisement

I thought Lippi would start with the diamond but for some reason he went back to the other system with one up top. Changed it for the last 10 mins though, where the two strikers combined to get the winner.
    You see that's where you're going wrong. Generally what you're thinking doesn't tend to happen. And the way you were going on in that Ireland thread you'd swear that you had inside info as to Lippi's team selection/ formation.
    Different one actually. Different formation to the one that they were playing with that day. You should try and keep up.
    Um, I've already stated that they're playing with a different formation :confused:

In future it may be better to put your thoughts forward as opinions rather than "facts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You're presuming Reid would have played right wing which is in reality very much open to debate. But then again, you are by your own admittance pretty bad at predicting team line-ups (despite confidently presenting your predictions as fact) so who am I to deter you from further making a show of yourself?:pac:

Ha, where's all this 'fact' stuff coming from? :D

The reports suggested that Italy were going to line up differently to what they started with on Saturday night. I didn't make this stuff up ffs.

Oh, and someone thank me for that post, seems like the done thing.

Ha, where's all this 'fact' stuff coming from? :D

The reports suggested that Italy were going to line up differently to what they started with on Saturday night. I didn't make this stuff up ffs.

Mistake number 1: Don't believe everything you read!

You seemed to be the only one who thought that Italy were going to attack Ireland, play them off the park and score plenty of goals in the process.

Almost everyone else thought Italy would be happy to sit back and claim a draw and it was generally reported in the media that this would be the case.

Not sure what report you were reading but it would probably be a good idea for you to change newspapers/websites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement