Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Oh, and someone thank me for that post, seems like the done thing.

some people thank people because they said something they agree with, and it saves them saying the exact same thing.

are you jealous or something? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SlickRic wrote: »
    some people thank people because they said something they agree with, and it saves them saying the exact same thing.

are you jealous or something? ;)

has to be thanked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Oh, and someone thank me for that post, seems like the done thing.

LOL "everyones's against me." Perhaps try saying something worth agreeing with instead of deliberately trying to get a rise and you might have more success.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Pighead wrote: »
    Mistake number 1: Don't believe everything you read!

You seemed to be the only one who thought that Italy were going to attack Ireland, play them off the park and score plenty of goals in the process.

Almost everyone else thought Italy would be happy to sit back and claim a draw and it was generally reported in the media that this would be the case.

Not sure what report you were reading but it would probably be a good idea for you to change newspapers/websites.

Quite happy with my sources tbh. And there's life outside boards.ie - I actually saw other people predicting an Italian win :eek:

In fairness Italy did play us off the park for large spells. Pirlo completed dominated that game.

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL "everyones's against me." Perhaps try saying something worth agreeing with instead of deliberately trying to get a rise and you might have more success.:pac:

Don't give two ****s if everyone is against me. Just find the whole 'thank you' thing incredibly lame.

Don't give two ****s if everyone is against me. Just find the whole 'thank you' thing incredibly lame.

No ones against you mate, you just think they are.

Thanked your post btw, just to prove we're not all bad.;)

Quite happy with my sources tbh. And there's life outside boards.ie - I actually saw other people predicting an Italian win :eek:

In fairness Italy did play us off the park for large spells. Pirlo completed dominated that game.

not many predicting a 3-0 hammering i hope.

Pirlo 'dominated' the game on the half way line. he was wonderful to watch, brilliant in spells, absolutely. but f*** all happened in the final third for him. i suggest Trap, knowing the way he sets out the team, was happy for Pirlo to dominate away from our danger area.

i'm not saying that's always the right tactic, but i'd rather Pirlo do what he did on Saturday from 50/60 yards out than on the edge of our box.

technically, the best player on the pitch though, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm sure there was plenty of people predicting an Italian win. Doubt there was too many who predicted Italy to win the game 3 or 4-0 though.

Of course they did and we all knew they would. We also knew that the Italians wouldn't be too bothered in going all out for the win. They were content in playing keep ball with Pirlo as the conductor.

They only needed a draw to qualify so why your "source" thought they'd change their formation to a more attacking one Lord only knows.

Seriously buddy, change your sources. Stick with the boards.ie experts and we'll put you right. This time next year you'll also be an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They did, but I feel most teams have in this campaign.

Hence the calls for some sort of creative force, someone who can pass a ball more than 10 yards, retain possession etc.

If only we had someone like that..

not many predicting a 3-0 hammering i hope.

Pirlo 'dominated' the game on the half way line. he was wonderful to watch, brilliant in spells, absolutely. but f*** all happened in the final third for him. i suggest Trap, knowing the way he sets out the team, was happy for Pirlo to dominate away from our danger area.

i'm not saying that's always the right tactic, but i'd rather Pirlo do what he did on Saturday from 50/60 yards out than on the edge of our box.

technically, the best player on the pitch though, definitely.

He created both goals :confused:

• Advertisement

He created both goals :confused:

One was a corner.

The other was a decent pass but there was loads to do by the two front men before anything came of it.

I googled your name by the way, are you Italian?

Ha, can't believe no one spotted my name until this :D

noodler wrote: »
    They did, but I feel most teams have in this campaign.

Hence the calls for some sort of creative force, someone who can pass a ball more than 10 yards, retain possession etc.

If only we had someone like that..

Agreed: Catenaccio praises Pirlo on the one hand and yet ridicules the one player we have whos closest to him in style and skills and who could do for us what Pirlo does for Italy. The more he digs to be honest, the deeper a hole hes making for himself.

Thought more would have heard of catenaccio on here tbh.:eek:

Just wondering if it has anything to do with your lack of knowledge with regards Andy Reid.

It sounded Italian, just didn't know it was a tactical style of Italian football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ah ill hold my hand up, i did cop your name, i just didnt give a **** wether you were italian or not

kryogen wrote: »
    ah ill hold my hand up, i did cop your name, i just didnt give a **** wether you were italian or not

LOUL.:pac:

Agreed: Catenaccio praises Pirlo on the one hand and yet ridicules the one player we have whos closest to him in style and skills and who could do for us what Pirlo does for Italy. The more he digs to be honest, the deeper a hole hes making for himself.

Reid is nowhere near Pirlo in style or skill ffs :D Can't believe someone just posted that. How could Reid do what Pirlo does for Italy? When has Reid ever done that for us?

Reid is nowhere near Pirlo in style or skill ffs :D Can't believe someone just posted that. How could Reid do what Pirlo does for Italy? When has Reid ever done that for us?

Hes the closest thing we have and more likely to do it than Whelan or Andrews or Martin bloody Rowlands.

Are you saying Reid doesn't have the skill to keep the ball better than those guys, or set the tempo for the entire teams passing?

• Advertisement

Like I asked,
    When has Reid ever done that for us?

Like I asked,

He has done it for Sunderland since he lost the weight on a consistent basis, hes been their best player. He hasn't been given the chance to do it for Ireland since doing so, which is kinda the point of this near 20 page thread!!!

Oh and And Like I Asked Cantenaccio:
    Are you saying Reid doesn't have the skill to keep the ball better than those guys, or set the tempo for the entire teams passing?

I have to bite my tongue cos what I really want to do is verbally abuse you for being so ignorant to the recent history of the Irish football team.

You clearly haven't been a fan long, if you are at all.

Off the top of my head.

Scored against Cyprus at home under Kerr.
    Setup Robbie Keane with an outstanding through ball against Israel.
    Setup Robbie Keane with an outstanding through ball against Denmark.
    Controlled the game against Germany at Croker under Stan.

There are other goals/assists against San Marino etc but thats all I can think of without looking it up.

However, I assume you are aware he did play regularly for Ireland before Trap came on the scene, right? Some of the things he does on a pitch can't always being quantified with a Fantasy Football goals/assists type statistic.

EDIT: And saying Reid is the closest thing we have to a Pirlo type of player is not the same as saying he is as good.

If you are Italian, you might want to work on your understanding of written English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

The people have spoken. 9-1 in favour of Reid returning to the Irish squad. Lets hope that happens!

I have to bite my tongue cos what I really want to do is verbally abuse you for being so ignorant to the recent history of the Irish football team.

You clearly haven't been a fan long, if you are at all.

Off the top of my head.

Scored against Cyprus at home under Kerr.
    Setup Robbie Keane with an outstanding through ball against Israel.
    Setup Robbie Keane with an outstanding through ball against Denmark.
    Controlled the game against Germany at Croker under Stan.

There are other goals/assists against San Marino etc but thats all I can think of without looking it up.

However, I assume you are aware he did play regularly for Ireland before Trap came on the scene, right? Some of the things he does on a pitch can't always being quantified with a Fantasy Football goals/assists type statistic.

EDIT: And saying Reid is the closest thing we have to a Pirlo type of player is not the same as saying he is as good.

If you are Italian, you might want to work on your understanding of written English.

I'm slightly more concerned about your command of the English language.

I've attended the home matches for the last 15 years so I'm well aware of Reid's time wearing an Irish jersey. He's never impressed me, not once. Obviously I'm not alone in this, otherwise he'd be in the squad. I think if he was that important to our qualification campaign then Trapattoni would forget what he did and let him be part of the squad. But he's not that important. We scored two goals from set pieces at the weekend. Without our saviour Andy Reid.

Funny thing is, people say that we would have topped the group if we had Reid in the team. I'd say we wouldn't have made the playoffs if we had him the the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The people have spoken. 9-1 in favour of Reid returning to the Irish squad. Lets hope that happens!

"The people" don't manage the team, management by committee was abandoned decades ago.

The only person who gets to decide the make-up of the squad is the manager.

He doesn't want him in the squad, so he isn't in the squad.

It's very simple, and no amount of threads on here, "facebook groups" or petitions will, or should, change that.

• Advertisement

Trapattoni (i.e. the only person that has a say) has spoken. Screw democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Des wrote: »
    "The people" don't manage the team, management by committee was abandoned decades ago.

The only person who gets to decide the make-up of the squad is the manager.

He doesn't want him in the squad, so he isn't in the squad.

It's very simple, and no amount of threads on here, "facebook groups" or petitions will, or should, change that.

Nothing anyone says here is going to 'change' anything with regards the entire sport, so in that case why dont we all stop posting and go home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's never impressed me, not once.

Whether he's in the squad now or not, I find that a ridiculous thing to say.

Against Cyprus at home he was superb and to say he wasn't is just lies.

Still also waiting for an answer to my question Catenaccio.:D

I'm slightly more concerned about your command of the English language.

I've attended the home matches for the last 15 years so I'm well aware of Reid's time wearing an Irish jersey. He's never impressed me, not once. Obviously I'm not alone in this, otherwise he'd be in the squad. I think if he was that important to our qualification campaign then Trapattoni would forget what he did and let him be part of the squad. But he's not that important. We scored two goals from set pieces at the weekend. Without our saviour Andy Reid.

Funny thing is, people say that we would have topped the group if we had Reid in the team. I'd say we wouldn't have made the playoffs if we had him the the team.

I don't believe you. You are alone on this.

Even people who feel he shouldn't be in the team acknowledge the merits of having him in the squad.

If you find me another person who feels Andy Reid has never impressed them, then I will find you a person who hasn't watched him often enough.

The very idea that you have gone to all home games over the past 15 years is fairly hard to believe.

• Advertisement

He has done it for Sunderland since he lost the weight on a consistent basis, hes been their best player. He hasn't been given the chance to do it for Ireland since doing so, which is kinda the point of this near 20 page thread!!!

Oh and And Like I Asked Cantenaccio:

Yes. I'm thinking the same as Trapattoni. Apologies if this offends you.

LMAO.

As if thats backing up your opinion.

So you feel the same as Trap and Andy Reid has never impressed you.

The above are the reasoning used to get to your opinion, is there any wonder you are at odds with everyone?

Look guys. I've got Trapattoni on my side. You've got Dunphy. Think that says it all tbh.

Look guys. I've got Trapattoni on my side. You've got Dunphy. Think that says it all tbh.

Ah, using the fountain of wisdom and knowledge picked up from the experience of over 15 years of attendance at home Irish internationals on us, eh?

You win.

I win? Gosh, that was easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

LMAO.

As if thats backing up your opinion.

So you feel the same as Trap and Andy Reid has never impressed you.

The above are the reasoning used to get to your opinion, is there any wonder you are at odds with everyone?

Similarily your reasoning that because your opinion is shared by the majority in an internet thread it must be correct is lol, do you know whar irony is btw ;)

Similarily your reasoning that because your opinion is shared by the majority in an internet thread it must be correct is lol, do you know whar irony is btw ;)

Oh dear, PS missing the point of a post yet again.

I use examples and other empirical evidence whereas the poster in question simply states 'well I agree with Trap so I am right'.

Being at odds with everyone is the result of the reasoning, or lack their of, in coming to his/her opinion - not the opinion itself.

Oh dear, PS missing the point of a post yet again.

I use examples and other empirical evidence whereas the poster in question simply states 'well I agree with Trap so I am right'.

Being at odds with everyone is the result of the reasoning, or lack their of, in coming to his/her opinion - not the opinion itself.
    Yes we just have to wait and see how Ireland do in the play offs now. Trap is not going to risk Reid at this stage as he has dug a very deep hole for himself in terms of not selecting him and as such he can not be seen to be doing an about turn now.
    But I would like to see him play a more expansive game. Try Fahey out on Wednesday, the lad has served his apprenticeship at this stage in the Premiership.

You think Whelan, Andrews or Rowlands are better passers of a ball than Reid?

REALLY?

guys, please give up. and i include myself in that.

if it's just a case of 'because Trap says so', then arguing will get nowhere.

reid isn't in the squad, that's Trap's choice, it's worked so far, so fair enough.

if someone wants to believe Reid doesn't deserve to be in the squad ahead of, at the very least, Martin Rowlands (no disrespect to him), then so be it.

or if someone wants to believe he wouldn't, at the very least, add something from the bench that we don't already have, then so be it.

i, for one, look forward to the day Reid is back in the squad. and he will be; once this grudge is over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Traps the manager lads, he has done good with us so far, in Trap I trust:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Traps the manager yes, however i seriously cannot understand how Andy Reid is not named in the squad, especially on his recent form. No disrespect to the other lads in the squad but he's head and shoulders above some of them.
    We need players like Reid in the squad at the very least, not saying he's a superstar etc etc but he does give us a little bit of an edge if not at the very least a good option from the bench.

Trap has done a good job for us but his treatment of Reid has been poor and almost farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭briany

The line of questioning is really getting to the manager, isn't it? It was kind of an unexpected reaction but at least it was honest and entertaining, something that can rarely be said of any international manager's response.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Yes Im willing to have a moratorium on Reid until after the play-offs. The people have spoken. Now time for Trap and the lads to do the same on the field.
    Play offs will be the proof of the pudding in terms of the footballing gospel Trap is supposedly trying to preach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

guys, please give up. and i include myself in that.

if it's just a case of 'because Trap says so', then arguing will get nowhere.

I love this,is this not a "soccer" discusion board? why can't people discuss it?? the same goes for S Ireland....not everyone is interested in Liverpool Manu and Arsenal threads....I know I'm not and guess what I don't read them much less contribute in them! if you don't like it don't read it...simples

Yes Im willing to have a moratorium on Reid until after the play-offs. The people have spoken. Now time for Trap and the lads to do the same on the field.
    Play offs will be the proof of the pudding in terms of the footballing gospel Trap is supposedly trying to preach.

I'm just terrified at what will happen against a decent team if we go a goal down. It only happened once against a good team in the qualifiers and that was against ten men Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah going a goal down doesn't bear thinking about does it?

dogpile wrote: »
    I love this,is this not a "soccer" discusion board? why can't people discuss it?? the same goes for S Ireland....not everyone is interested in Liverpool Manu and Arsenal threads....I know I'm not and guess what I don't read them much less contribute in them! if you don't like it don't read it...simples

my comment was more for the purposes of not going around in the same circles again and again.

i'm delighted to discuss anything to death, as long as it's going somewhere.

at the particular time that i posted though, it was getting extrememly tedious for me, as well as others it seemed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

291 posts about Andy Reid when we have drawn twice with the World Champions. Laughable.

If everyone is fit and available, the two Stephens would be the first choice midfield partnership with Whelan, Andrews and Gibson as back-up. Wide players would include Duff, S Hunt, Mcgeady, Keogh and Lawrence. That is at least 10 midfielders ahead of Andy Reid, many more than enough for a World Cup squad of 23. It comes down to whether to pick Martin Rowlands, Keith Fahey or Andy Reid if some of them are out.

A minor discussion.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    291 posts about Andy Reid when we have drawn twice with the World Champions. Laughable.

If everyone is fit and available, the two Stephens would be the first choice midfield partnership with the two Stephens as back-up. Wide players would include Duff, S Hunt, Mcgeady, Keogh and Lawrence. That is at least 10 midfielders ahead of Andy Reid, many more than enough for a World Cup squad of 23. It comes down to whether to pick Martin Rowlands, Keith Fahey or Andy Reid if some of them are out.

A minor discussion.
    the two StephensOne is permanently injured and one doesn't want to play.

Whelan, Andrews, Gibson
    Reid is confortably a more talented footballer and deserves a place in the squad as much as any of these three

Keogh and Lawrence
    Much better player than these two.

Rowlands
    Don't make me laugh.

If anything you've illustrated exactly why Reid deserves a place in the squad, by illustrating perfectly the lack of viable alterbatives available for selection on regular basis.

Thanks.:D

Advertisement