Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I don't get this thread. At all.

What is it with you guys? Are you masochists or something?

Trappatoni is the manager. He'll either play him or he won't. There's fvck all a 20 page thread with a poll on boards.ie can do about that. It's not like you're going to enforce a bloody referendum on this and then Trap goes 'Ah sure ya, if ye all want him so badly...'

So what's the point of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Godge wrote: »
    291 posts about Andy Reid when we have drawn twice with the World Champions. Laughable.

If everyone is fit and available, the two Stephens would be the first choice midfield partnership with Whelan, Andrews and Gibson as back-up. Wide players would include Duff, S Hunt, Mcgeady, Keogh and Lawrence. That is at least 10 midfielders ahead of Andy Reid, many more than enough for a World Cup squad of 23. It comes down to whether to pick Martin Rowlands, Keith Fahey or Andy Reid if some of them are out.

A minor discussion.

in fairness its your post thats laughable
    realcam wrote: »

Trappatoni is the manager. He'll either play him or he won't. There's fvck all a 20 page thread with a poll on boards.ie can do about that. It's not like you're going to enforce a bloody referendum on this and then Trap goes 'Ah sure ya, if ye all want him so badly...'

and to you and the other lad, if the thread is pointless to you and and that then just save yourself the time and dont post in it! actually, if you dont see the point in threads on boards.ie at all then why are you here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'll admit I haven't read all the posts on here, but Cascarino summed up the Reid situation perfectly this evening on the Radio.

Reid is a skillful player and a definite asset when you've got the ball, but given that on average you're not going to have the ball 50% of the time, he'll need to prove, over a season, that he has the fitness levels to cope with defensive duties. Shedding the 9kg was a good start, now he needs to prove himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'll admit I haven't read all the posts on here, but Cascarino summed up the Reid situation perfectly this evening on the Radio.

Reid is a skillful player and a definite asset when you've got the ball, but given that on average you're not going to have the ball 50% of the time, he'll need to prove, over a season, that he has the fitness levels to cope with defensive duties. Shedding the 9kg was a good start, now he needs to prove himself.

Sorry, you said Cascarino and didn't mock him, you fail! ;)

JPA wrote: »
    Sorry, you said Cascarino and didn't mock him, you fail! ;)

lol yeah he isnt really a great point of reference ;)

Whatever it is with Reid and Trap is not about football, its clearly personal, so for that reason, with Trap being set in his ways we probably wont be seeing Reid again while Trap is manager, at least not till after the World Cup unless there is a huge injury crises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

With Trap signed up for the next campaign I think we could see the slate wiped clean when the next qualification games come around, that's just a feeling I have. I feel he likes continuity but will change it for the next campaign and start afresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Hope so. Looks as If Rowlands will be started in midfield. Again Fahey good enough to play in Premiership as is Reid but not good enough to start on Wednesday. A missed opportunity I think.
    Will be curious to see how well this fiorentina striker Jokevic does following his brace against the Pool in last round of Champions league. Only nineteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Will be curious to see how well this fiorentina striker Jokevic does following his brace against the Pool in last round of Champions league. Only nineteen.

He's not playing through suspension.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's not playing through suspension.
    Shame. Too bad he was free to play against the pool. A very good player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Godge wrote: »
    It comes down to whether to pick Martin Rowlands, Keith Fahey or Andy Reid if some of them are out.
    A minor discussion.

To name Andy Reid in those 3 and say he doesn't deserve a place on current form is laughable to me. As i said earlier he deserves a place in the squad on current form. A minor discussion maybe but one worth having i would have thought....
    realcam wrote: »

Are we as football fans not allowed to have a discussion on it. Are we not allowed to question why Trap is leaving him out because of non football reasons?
    kryogen wrote: »
    lol yeah he isnt really a great point of reference ;)

Whatever it is with Reid and Trap is not about football, its clearly personal, so for that reason, with Trap being set in his ways we probably wont be seeing Reid again while Trap is manager, at least not till after the World Cup unless there is a huge injury crises

This is the sad truth and even though Trap has done a good job I think its small and petty of him not to select Reid in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Um, was that the first game you've seen him play in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Neil3030 wrote: »

Bull****. Stp believeing the hype tht he is some major liability on the pitch ffs.

He was nothing but an asset when he played for Ireland.
    Um, was that the first game you've seen him play in?

Um, you've never seen Andy Reid play for Ireland so don't start.

Um, I have, 27 times live and countless other times on television.

You lose :(

Um, I have, 27 times live and countless other times on television.

You lose :(

Yeah but you say he has NEVER once impressed you.

So you lie, basically.

No, I don't lie when I say he hasn't impressed me. He has impressed you. He hasn't impressed me.

It's really that simple kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

John Giles made a good point on his radio bit that Charlton dropped players because they didn't suit his system and he preferred other 'lesser' players.

We're talking players like Liam Brady & Ronnie Whelen.

Also it took an unlikely Scottish win to take us to Euro 88, while we only won 1 game out of 9 in Italia 90 & USA 94 combined.

So that the success of a team overshadows these individual issues.

Personally I think people over-rate how good we are, we punched way above our weight for years, while recently trying playing a systemless gameplan with players who don't suit. At least Trap has addressed that, it's not pretty but it's working.

We're 2nd place, from 4th seeds and in with a shout of qualifying, we'd all have taken that at the start of the campaign.

No, I don't lie when I say he hasn't impressed me. He has impressed you. He hasn't impressed me.

You lie, you said something outrageous by saying he has never impressed you so you went on the defensive by saying you haven't missed an Irish home international in 15 years.

That means you would have seen his displays against Israel, Germany and Cyprus to name a few yet you still say he has never impressed you. What about the premiership? Do you watch that at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fair enough if you don't think that Reid fits into Traps system of playing but surely you think Reid has some good qualities as a player?

Pighead wrote: »
    Fair enough if you don't think that Reid fits into Traps system of playing but surely you think Reid has some good qualities as a player?

That he can pass a ball? I don't think he's any better than we've got at the moment. If he was significantly better (as the majority are suggesting here) then he'd be in the squad, regardless of whatever went on between himself and Trapattoni. But the thing is, he isn't. We're doing better without him and we've now got a chance to qualify. We certainly don't need someone like Reid coming in and ruining our chance.

noodler wrote: »
    You lie, you said something outrageous by saying he has never impressed you so you went on the defensive by saying you haven't missed an Irish home international in 15 years.

That means you would have seen his displays against Israel, Germany and Cyprus to name a few yet you still say he has never impressed you. What about the premiership? Do you watch that at all?

What's outrageous is that you still don't get what I'm saying. He's never impressed me.

I do watch the Premier League (changed from Premiership I'll have you know). Thanks for asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

That he can pass a ball? I don't think he's any better than we've got at the moment. If he was significantly better (as the majority are suggesting here) then he'd be in the squad, regardless of whatever went on between himself and Trapattoni. But the thing is, he isn't. We're doing better without him and we've now got a chance to qualify. We certainly don't need someone like Reid coming in and ruining our chance.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...........ha haha ha ha. Well that settles it, you are clearly clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

zAbbo wrote: »
    John Giles made a good point on his radio bit that Charlton dropped players because they didn't suit his system and he preferred other 'lesser' players.

We're talking players like Liam Brady & Ronnie Whelen.

Also it took an unlikely Scottish win to take us to Euro 88, while we only won 1 game out of 9 in Italia 90 & USA 94 combined.

So that the success of a team overshadows these individual issues.

Personally I think people over-rate how good we are, we punched way above our weight for years, while recently trying playing a systemless gameplan with players who don't suit. At least Trap has addressed that, it's not pretty but it's working.

We're 2nd place, from 4th seeds and in with a shout of qualifying, we'd all have taken that at the start of the campaign.

Finally 22 pages in and someone is talking sense :p

Just seen todays examiner, I cant post links as im in work but basically they have an analysis of the press reaction in Italy to last saturday's game and its extremely complimentary to Irelands midfield and saying that Andrews and Gibson completely outplayed Italy and how they would love to have a winger like Lawerence!!

Just seen todays examiner, I cant post links as im in work but basically they have an analysis of the press reaction in Italy to last saturday's game and its extremely complimentary to Irelands midfield and saying that Andrews and Gibson completely outplayed Italy and how they would love to have a winger like Lawerence!!

In the Indo yesterday there was that quote from an Italian paper on Lawrence alright:

"If only we had a winger like him" etc. Grass is always greener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup, glowing reports for Lawrence, and rightly so.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Yup, glowing reports for Lawrence, and rightly so.

Have to say he put in a great shift. Also, for a team that play the way we do, it is essential to have someone who can hit a dead ball. That has been sorely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Lads if Ireland played 4-2-3-1 they have a much better set up that their current 4-4-2 system.

Steven Ireland is a massive loss with his attitude as is Steven Reid through injury. Andy Reid not being included is a crime.

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    St.Ledger
    O'Shea

S.Reid
    A.Reid

Doyle
    Ireland
    McGeady

Keane

That is a much stronger team than the one that took the field v Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

slingerz wrote: »
    Lads if Ireland played 4-2-3-1 they have a much better set up that their current 4-4-2 system.

Steven Ireland is a massive loss with his attitude as is Steven Reid through injury. Andy Reid not being included is a crime.

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    St.Ledger
    O'Shea

S.Reid
    A.Reid

Doyle
    Ireland
    McGeady

Keane

But it can't happen so no point in bringing it up. If we played 4-2-3-1 with the current players we'd be even more negative than at the moment. At least now we have two out and out strikers up top.

P.S. Doyle out wide? WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lolz.

A perma-injured player and a player who doesn't want to play.

Yeah, great team there.

And also, Doyle is not a winger, if anyone, you'd be looking at Hunt, Duff, Lawrence or Keogh in that position.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But it can't happen so no point in bringing it up. If we played 4-2-3-1 with the current players we'd be even more negative than at the moment. At least now we have two out and out strikers up top.

P.S. Doyle out wide? WTF?

Doyle has played wide for Reading umpteen times and is usually forced wide right to get the ball in the current Irish setup.

Still though, we have loads of wingers. We should always have two up top.

• Advertisement

Doyle has played wide for Reading umpteen times and is usually forced wide right to get the ball in the current Irish setup.

Still though, we have loads of wingers. We should always have two up top.

In the context of this thread, even having Andy Reid as an option to play in the hole between midfield and forward. So the two holding midfield players stay, the two wingers stay, and take off Doyle or Keane. So It'd be more like 4-4-1-1. Reid could be utilised in so many ways, I lament his exclusion from the squad.:(

JimiTime wrote: »
    In the context of this thread, even having Andy Reid as an option to play in the hole between midfield and forward. So the two holding midfield players stay, the two wingers stay, and take off Doyle or Keane. So It'd be more like 4-4-1-1. Reid could be utilised in so many ways, I lament his exclusion from the squad.:(

Sure, whether Reid is in the team or not though, I don't think Robbie Keane leading the line on his own is ever the way to go.

Sure, whether Reid is in the team or not though, I don't think Robbie Keane leading the line on his own is ever the way to go.

I had Doyle in mind. Target man type. That idea would be a substitute thing. A way to change things around without compromising the whole defensive strategy. Reid could could roam between midfield and attack, take the ball from Whelan and Andrews and help ball retention if we are in front, or spread it quick for McGeady and Duff or Doyle if we need a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You want to drop Robbie Keane?

Yeah, good plan.

Des wrote: »

Yeah, good plan.

Eh, no. Must try harder smart @rse.

I had Doyle in mind. Target man type. That idea would be a substitute thing. A way to change things around without compromising the whole defensive strategy. Reid could could roam between midfield and attack, take the ball from Whelan and Andrews and help ball retention if we are in front, or spread it quick for McGeady and Duff or Doyle if we need a goal.
    Des wrote: »

Yeah, good plan.
    Eh, no. Must try harder smart @rse.

So jimi are we goin to play 12 or will Robbie be in the back four :confused:

• Advertisement

Okay to the topic in hand. Where to play Reid. In the centre. Either beside Whelan or Andrews although I would be leaning towards a Whelan Reid partnership.
    It seems to be a lazy stereotype that all creative midfielders will lose possession. yet what other team plays our system.
    We have players like Fahey and Reid playing in the Premiership but yet they are not up to the rigours of international football.
    If Reid can hold his own against the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick etc against United he can do the same for Ireland.

Okay to the topic in hand. Where to play Reid. In the centre. Either beside Whelan or Andrews although I would be leaning towards a Whelan Reid partnership.
    It seems to be a lazy stereotype that all creative midfielders will lose possession. yet what other team plays our system.
    We have players like Fahey and Reid playing in the Premiership but yet they are not up to the rigours of international football.
    If Reid can hold his own against the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick etc against United he can do the same for Ireland.

People will give disagree, definitely a greater number than those feel he shouldn't be in the squad, but I would play him in the centre with Whelan holding just like he did play for Ireland numerous times under the two previous regimes. He would spray the ball around, turn opposition back fours with a pass and we might actually get the best of out our front players.

Any qualms people have about him not tracking back are well worth the advantages he would bring in my opinion. He plays fairly deep in the first place and his new fitness regime can only be a bonus in this respect. I would expect we would give the ball away alot less in the first place, at the very least I think he should be deployed in home games.

We could play him on the wing, but it limits his range of passing. He would have to be nominally on the right for me with mandate to cut inside but then we would lose width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If A Reid is going to play, it cant be in the centre. It needs to be on the wings, and it needs to be creative. He just flatly doesn't work in Traps system playing in the middle.

For that matter, neither would Steven Ireland probably. He'd have to change the system, but Reid isn't good enough to change the system.

PHB wrote: »
    If A Reid is going to play, it cant be in the centre. It needs to be on the wings, and it needs to be creative. He just flatly doesn't work in Traps system playing in the middle.

For that matter, neither would Steven Ireland probably. He'd have to change the system, but Reid isn't good enough to change the system.

I think Andy Reid could be asked to sit deep and pass from there.

Personally I think the the system would just work better with Reid in the middle.

I think back to the Germany game and see how he ran things there, even it it was a dead rubber tie.

well they obviously didnt watch the game then! ;)
    slingerz wrote: »

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    St.Ledger
    O'Shea

S.Reid
    A.Reid

Doyle
    Ireland
    McGeady

Keane

i have an idea, from now on why dont we line up like this

Given
    O'Shea--Mcgrath--Dunne----Irwin
    Mcateer---Keane---Giles----Brady
    Keane
    Quinn

As long as we are including guys who are not actually possibilities as some others have done of course

(not just directed at you Sligerz, just fed up of seeing S.Irelands name so much when its clear he will never be involved!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »

pretty sure trap said the same at some point, that if Ireland was to come back, trap would change the system to suit him.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    pretty sure trap said the same at some point, that if Ireland was to come back, trap would change the system to suit him.

Do you think it would be a change of attitude or formation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no idea.

are you gonna shut up crying if we get to the world cup? :D;)

kryogen wrote: »
    well they obviously didnt watch the game then! ;)

My bad kyrogen, I obviously meant our goalscorer Glenn Whelan

So jimi are we goin to play 12 or will Robbie be in the back four :confused:

:confused: I started off with 'A substitute idea'. No call for 'dropping' keane. A simple idea, that does not compromise this whole back 4 plus 2 defensive mids. Just to reiterate, 'A substitute idea'. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

All the recent comments about what Reid would bring to the team is all about his passing. I assume you're not talking about short passes, which any player on the team can do, so lets say its the long passes.

If thats the case, do we really wanna go back to playing the long ball? (even if it is the long ball with a bit more accuracy)

unless its about his crosses, in which case hunt can get a few crosses in too, but he also runs at players and forces errors which, in general, puts the opposing team under pressure.

Reid might charge down an opposing player who has the ball, or might run with the ball, but definately not to the extent hunt and mcgeady can, or even lawrence, who has impressed with his crosses.

So is the argument for reid's inclusion based solely on the fact that he can pick out a long ball pass (assuming keane/doyle get some space)?

i should point out im not a reid hater. I reckon he should definately be in the squad. just playing devils advocate here.

Its quite obvious that if Hunt, McGeady were doing their job we would not be talking about Reid.
    The problem is that the flow of ball into the opposition box is predictable enough. Reid is more subtle in that approach. Ill say it again, he is probably the closest we have had to a Liam Brady since Whelan.
    This is about form and Reid is the form player at the moment. Dont judge him on where he was last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The_B_Man wrote: »
    All the recent comments about what Reid would bring to the team is all about his passing. I assume you're not talking about short passes, which any player on the team can do, so lets say its the long passes.

How about creative short passes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

The_B_Man wrote: »

If thats the case, do we really wanna go back to playing the long ball? (even if it is the long ball with a bit more accuracy)

unless its about his crosses, in which case hunt can get a few crosses in too, but he also runs at players and forces errors which, in general, puts the opposing team under pressure.

Reid might charge down an opposing player who has the ball, or might run with the ball, but definately not to the extent hunt and mcgeady can, or even lawrence, who has impressed with his crosses.

So is the argument for reid's inclusion based solely on the fact that he can pick out a long ball pass (assuming keane/doyle get some space)?

i should point out im not a reid hater. I reckon he should definately be in the squad. just playing devils advocate here.

I heard a statistic over the weekend that out of all the qualifiers in Europe, we were near top of the league for playing the long ball, think we were second !

Secman

Heard Dunphy on Morning Ireland saying Doyle had been taken off relatively early in Italian match. Linking it to the fact that he was not getting the service in to him. Which is another reason for playing Reid IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement