Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you turned veggie?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

hmmm just woke up one morning after my 16th and decided that i didnt want to eat any meat ever again. and I didnt.
    :D My mam was worried that I'd die from some kind of disease and that I'd be "open" to more infections!!
    fast forward 7 years on and I've had fewer colds than anyone else in my family and the only serious illness/fainting thing that's happened was I didnt realise you needed b12 supplements and iron (am now pretty badly anemic- mostly cause i forget to take my tablets)
    :D probably should have done some research after deciding to become veggie.
    I eat cheese and mayo and some butter (mostly in sauces I make)

lol, I also find it hilarious( like another poster who I can;t remember-sorry) that the "alternative" in some restaurants is fish :/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

I became one when I turned eleven, on the day of my Confirmation, oddly enough! Although that was me finally going official about it, I've wanted to be a veggie for much longer than that. My mother said that when I was younger I'd declare that I was a veggie, keep it up for a week, and then happily eat my sausages on a Sunday morning as if the rest of the week didn't matter, hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

It's great to see the outcome of the poll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Started a week ago, at nearly 30. Many years of forcing myself to not think of where meat came from may be over. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I turned veggie when I was 8, and still going strong 10 years later! I still remember being made sit at the table for 2 hours looking at a plate of sausages the day I informed my mother. When I just sat there for so long she realised I was serious :p

If I ever see my older cousins or aunts (who I rarely see) I still get "Oh, so that wasn't just a phase then?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

i was a vegetarian for six years and a vegan for 3 of those. if you love animals why eat them? yeah i still love animals but i said **** it one day. the amount of veggies i see wearing leather shoes and coats is unbelievable! its all a load of ****e. its still a byproduct. if you are gonna do it do it right.
    i can't change the world.

i couldn't give a gee anymore. i love me burgers! yum yum in my tum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

i was a vegetarian for six years and a vegan for 3 of those. if you love animals why eat them? yeah i still love animals but i said **** it one day. the amount of veggies i see wearing leather shoes and coats is unbelievable! its all a load of ****e. its still a byproduct. if you are gonna do it do it right.

This is sad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nesf wrote: »
    Started a week ago, at nearly 30. Many years of forcing myself to not think of where meat came from may be over. We'll see.

Hey buddy ;)

Good luck! And hi to simu, and nesf 2.0's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

This is like saying "because I can't be 100% perfect, I shouldn't even try".

Sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I was 18 stopped eating meat for a few weeks as a bet, 23years later still off meat. Sometimes I wish that I had never turned vegetarian as life is so much easier when you eat meat in Ireland, I can't face it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I can understand your frustration but you can only control your own actions. I don't let others get me down. And not all of us wear leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I've been a vegetarian since I was about 14. Can't quite pinpoint the exact time because it was quite gradual.

6 years on, I really wish I ate meat. Considered going back to meat last year and couldn't face it. I really do feel as if I'm missing out, and I also do wonder if a meat-free diet is as healthy as it's cracked up to be. In fact, I know it's not in many respects.

Saying that, I do love vegetarian food and doubt I'll ever switch back to eating meat. I'd like to incorporate fish into my diet again at some point. My main problem is probably that I had to quit dairy recently (lactose intollerant, mlehh) and there really isn't a whole lot of variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I turn vegetarian about October-ish (I'm 20). I have eaten meat occasionally, mainly because I'd rather eat meat than see food go to waste and if I've never tried something I like to give it a go (I had some of my friend's salted cod about a month ago).

I don't miss meat though and I thought I would because I was a proper carnivore. It seems the less meat I eat the less appetizing it is.

Advertisement