Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a beginner violin

Options
  • 04-10-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I play classical piano and guitar but would love also to learn violin.

What is the minimum to spend for a beginner not to have a totally rubbish instrument thats not worth the wood its made of.

I mean, I can go and get a perfectly playable guitar to learn either classical or acoustic for 100 euro.

What do I need for a violin and has anyone any recommendations as to where to buy and what brand.

BTW Im looking for a 4/4 violin.

Thanks!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hey,
    I play piano and took up the violin last year.
    I had one that cost (literally) a couple of hundred euro. If you're in Dublin a couple of places to look are Crehan's in Drumcondra or McCullough Piggotts. Don't go near Walton's. I've got a new one in the last few months because I wanted something with a deeper tone to it and to get the dynamics I wanted, I needed something a bit better. And mine wasn't the worse beginners violin ever!
    Go into one of the shops, talk to them and they'll help you out. It shouldn't be more than a couple of hundred though, and the bow on top of that.
    It's tricky enough to learn, but if you can read music it's all about your technique- which is two thirds of the battle!!
    Good luck!Oh and PM me if you want the name of a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for that!

Dont suppose you want to sell me your old one do you?

Advertisement