Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stomach Ulcer..

Options
  • 04-10-2009 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

First of, I apologise if this is being posted in the wrong place, or has been discussed before. But I was wondering if anyone here knows what kind of things help stomach ulcers? What does treatment involve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarahbrennan

Usually you're doctor'll probably put you on medication to reduce acid in your stomach , a H2 blocker or a proton-pump inhibitor like nexium or lopraz. That lets your stomach heal itself.

For yourself you should avoid spicy and fried foods or anything acidic like citrus fruits.

Hope that helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sum Sea

stomach ulcers are caused by a thing called hellica bactor .You have to take a course of antibiotics to clear it up as well as the acid suppressents

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sum Sea wrote: »
    stomach ulcers are caused by a thing called hellica bactor .You have to take a course of antibiotics to clear it up as well as the acid suppressents

Stomach ulcers *may* be caused in some instances by Hilico bacter spp. In an Irish and European context- the over use of anti-inflamatory medications is as likely a culprit, along with other factors such as smoking etc. Chronic illnesses such as arthritis, Crohn's Disease, Liver Disease, emphysema etc- are all thought to be likely contributors to stomach ulcers.

H. pylori is indeed considered to be a massive factor- with duodenal ulcers- but its role in stomach ulcers is a lot less clear cut- in an Irish context its present less than 45% of the time- in an Australian context this rises to about 55% (the variance is thought to be related to diet).

OP- you need to organise a consultation with a gastroenterologist who will diagnose your specific ailment and advise on an appropriate course of treatment for you. If you have been diagnosed with a specific problem- it would be a good idea to state exactly what you've been diagnosed with- and clarify what suggestions you are looking for from people (keeping in mind we cannot offer medical advice on this forum).

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

I recently had a endoscopy, and was told i have the bacteria H.pylori i have to different meds to take clorom and flagyl, then hav to go back to hospital for breath test. The nurse didnt really give me much info and just wondered if there was anyone out there who had any experience of this, not from an expert medical point of view but personal experience of it?

Advertisement