Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dried Sweet Onion - where can I buy

Options
  • 04-10-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Both 'Make Your Own' and the 'Swedish Food Company' have dried sweet onion at their deli counter. Does anyone know where I can buy jars/packets of this stuff? It is really gorgeous to add flavour to sambos and salads. Sweet but oniony!

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Hi,

Both 'Make Your Own' and the 'Swedish Food Company' have dried sweet onion at their deli counter. Does anyone know where I can buy jars/packets of this stuff? It is really gorgeous to add flavour to sambos and salads. Sweet but oniony!

Cheers,
    Tom

Is it the stuff in the link below ? Very common in sweden, you can get it in most supermarkets. haven't found it in ireland so always bring some back with me. great with hotdogs. :pac: sorry can't help you more.

http://farafel.cocolog-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/img_6377.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Thats them - thanks!

Is there an 'official' name for them as I might have better luck searching for an online supplier using the proper name - putting 'dried sweet onion' into Google just returns recipies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Thats them - thanks!

Is there an 'official' name for them as I might have better luck searching for an online supplier using the proper name - putting 'dried sweet onion' into Google just returns recipies

The swedish for it is "rostad lök" translating as roasted onion. Below is the translated swedish wiki entry. There is a reasonable good chance they will have them at Ikea in Ballymun, more likely not for sale but as a topping for the hotdogs at the exit. At least they do in the few Ikeas I have been in.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostad_l%25C3%25B6k&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also looks remarkably like something used a lot in Indonesian cookery. I don't know the Indonesian name but in Holland they're known as 'gebakken uitjes'. They're used as a garnish on various dishes. Basically it's small pieces of chopped onion, coated in flour and deep fried in oil.

I've bought them before in the Asian Food Company on Mary Street www.asianfood.ie. They were in the little bit of the shop to the right as you walk in, sold in cellophane bags or sometimes in sealable containers depending on the make. Probably a bit closer than a trip to Ikea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

They're sold in the IKEA Swedish Food Market. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen the Swedish version in IKEA.

Dried onions are also used as garnishes in Asian (particularly Indian/Indonesian) cooking - I bought a jar in the Asia Food Market on Drury Street but any ethnic shop should stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Thanks Dudara - called into the shop on Drury st and picked up a bottle of them. Not quite as sweet as the ones have have had from the deli but nice all the same.

the shop is great - I had never been to it before. Great value, expecially on veg

Advertisement