Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Say what you like about it, but girls from outside Ireland love it.

Well, the neutral (ish) one, neither skang nor southside

I'm from D9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

It depends on where in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I actually love most Dublin accents - apart from the really posh one, which is hideous. There are some slightly posh ones that are fine, but the D4 one just sounds like someone taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

gandhi123 wrote: »
    So why is it that these posters can sterotype a million or so people and not get banned just cause "it's only Dublin"...

If i stereotyped people from Cork as inbreed ****tards *, or Ginger haired people as Pussies* or god forbid mention anything about people from Romania:eek:... i'd be banned no questions asked...

Double standards i reckon..

I am from Dublin and yes i do have a Dublin accent...

Posts reported.

*these are not my beliefs just examples of bannable sterotypeing

Ps. i'm Not trolling... just pissed about these narrow minded views...

They might be narrow minded views in your opinion, but they are not directed at any specific user in this thread.

So no, you would not be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

So why is it that these posters can sterotype a million or so people and not get banned just cause "it's only Dublin"...

Because there's a million or so people in Dublin with a sense of humour about the whole Dublin thing - most of 'em are northsiders.

'Tis not alway 'cause "ah is black" ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Gordee

Everybody hates accents, there are no factual good or bad ones apart from that rotten Waterford accent.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

How to order food in a dublin accent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsb3DmVgmk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I like the Dublin accent, whenever I hear a female Dub speak, it automatically conveys to me that they are going to be a real saucy minx in bed. Unfortunately my theory remains unproven.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

They might be narrow minded views in your opinion, but they are not directed at any specific user in this thread.

So no, you would not be banned.

So people can say anything they want once it's not directed at specific user in the thread.....

In that case I could say "All Indian people stink of curry" or "All Chinese people can't see **** due to they're squinty eyes" ....

Both those statements are , IMO stereotypical and borderline Racist.. but they're no directed at anyone in particular so they're OK....???

I know i'm being bit too series for AH but come on..

Because there's a million or so people in Dublin with a sense of humour about the whole Dublin thing - most of 'em are northsiders.

'Tis not alway 'cause "ah is black" ya know.

I do have sense of humour, quiet a good one in fact, it's just some of the post are a bit too much.. eg people with Dublin accents are junkies wife beaters ect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

i think the dub accent is bleeding great.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Voltex wrote: »
    Naas
    Are they all xenophobes out there or is it just you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

There are several variants of Dublin accents. You cant lump them all into one category! I like the Dublin accent, whether it be a working class accent from Tallaght or a well-to-do accent from Castleknock. The Dubs have a very precise way of speaking, totally different to any other accent in Ireland. It really is unique. I'd sooner listen to a Dublin City skanger than a Limerick City scobe any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

orourkeda wrote: »
    That was an ATTACK not an ACCENT

Speaking for my own eardrums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

The Dublin accent makes girls sound like brutes, hence me having a Polish babe for a girlfriend :D mmmmmmm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t you were expecting a ton of 'thanks' for that one eh!.. :D

Nope :)

I genuinely do love the Dublin accent, I grew up with it but wasn't surrounded by it, so it's nice and sort of nostalgic whenever I hear it now.

Ever heard Damien Dempsey? He's got an amazing accent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's terrible...its a mix of some awful English accent and tinker speak..even regular types in Dublin seem scummy when they talk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dublin accent... hated by male boggers. Loved by women boggers (and English women) this is why women swarm to the city and let Dublin lads have their way with them. Most of them end up marrying Dublin fella's.

They will NEVER admit this too you and some of them might even come on here and say they don't even like the accent.

A thanks you to all you country lads. Your sisters, mothers (in some cases), daughters and wives are lovely lovely women. I thoroughly enjoyed bringing them home and having such good fun with them. Their hen nights, their "shopping trips", their "girly weekends" are such a gift. They did things with me that they would never dare to do in their little towns, the anonymity of the big city loosens inhibitions and much to my delight gives them a freedom to do unspeakable things. My single life was amazing thanks to your girls melting in the big city.

So, next time wave goodbye to your daughter, mum, sister, cousin, girlfriend, wife as they head off to Dublin, try not think of me and my Dublin friends to much, there is nothing you can do about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

But at least its understandable, unlike 80% of this country's accents.
    No real person can understand what they say in Spin The Bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Naas
    ...steve collins....jaysus i thought you said itinerant...haha

You know I have to say that you're not very funny. You're from Naas so hardly in a position to talk about horrible accents. I'm originally from Kill and so went to school in Naas and spent many a Saturday there.

The true Naas accent is pretty revolting, if somone's family has a long history in Naas and that person is very working class the accent is nothing to write home about. A strong countryside knacker style accent.

To slag the Dublin accent outright isn't on. There is a huge variety of accents here some gorgeous on a lady and some that are just hideous. Cabra, inner city, rathmines, rathcoole etc............. they all sound different and this is coming from someone who's a blow-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Like that video ;)

Don't like the Dublin accent one bit though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

All my friends from new Zealand and USA and all over Europe love Dublin accent :)
    I didn't even know i had one till they said how cute it is :o

However the,whats the story and lighterts five for a euro! one kill my ears :(

Dublin normal accent is the best :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

lightening wrote: »
    Dublin accent... hated by male boggers. Loved by women boggers (and English women) this is why women swarm to the city and let Dublin lads have their way with them. Most of them end up marrying Dublin fella's.

They will NEVER admit this too you and some of them might even come on here and say they don't even like the accent.

A thanks you to all you country lads. Your sisters, mothers (in some cases), daughters and wives are lovely lovely women. I thoroughly enjoyed bringing them home and having such good fun with them. Their hen nights, their "shopping trips", their "girly weekends" are such a gift. They did things with me that they would never dare to do in their little towns, the anonymity of the big city loosens inhibitions and much to my delight gives them a freedom to do unspeakable things. My single life was amazing thanks to your girls melting in the big city.

So, next time wave goodbye to your daughter, mum, sister, cousin, girlfriend, wife as they head off to Dublin, try not think of me and my Dublin friends to much, there is nothing you can do about it. ;)

Lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Mild accent is ok, nice on birds. Strong ones are pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

The one those chipper lads/lassies from inner city flat complexes use...
    they use words like:

"Buke"= Book
    "Ren" = Run or Ran...havent quite figured that one yet
    "Windes"= Windows.

Ren = Ran. Dere yar now, yeh learned sumin new t'day!

(North inner city Dub & proud of it!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

dannym08 wrote: »
    if fairness its better that what you hear in Cork or in the Wesht, at least ye can understand us.
    The culchies are just jealous, especially the Cork ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

DublinDes wrote: »
    The culchies are just jealous, especially the Cork ones :)

Actually, the Cork girls are the dirtiest ones when it come to loving the Dubs. They don't call it the rebel county for nothing! The Cork girls love rebelling against their traditions and get it going with a rough Dublin lad with a very strong Dublin accent... The last time I bought a nice Cork girl home she insisted I wear a Leinster Jersey as I had fun with her. Her Cork husband would be horrified, but then again, that is what excited her I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol it seems the amount of non-dubs on AH has finally risen above the number of dubs.

you shoulda just started a poll called "Are you from dublin? Yes/no?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I do have sense of humour, quiet a good one in fact

I know.... I see you live in Tallaght :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Whether you like an accent or not depends on who you know from that area. I hate the Derry accent on lads (cos they're knobs when they're down for a match) but love it on ladies (cost they're great when they're down for a match....);)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement