Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

caseyann wrote: »
    However the,whats the story and lighterts five for a euro! one kill my ears :(
    Give me that before the D4 one any day though.

By the way, why is Ranelagh pronounced "Renelagh" up there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Voltex wrote: »
    Is it cute or an assault on the ear?
    I hate the Dublin 4 accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Like all accents, if it's very strong, it's like listening to nails on a chalkboard. If soft, can be endearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Dudess wrote: »

Lol Dudess, I always used to pronounce Ranelagh "Ren-lah" till I spent a couple of years living there. Funny enough I say 'Ranelagh' these days - the locals must have modified my pronunciation for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Dudess wrote: »

Seriously what is the Dublin 4 accent :confused:

I know:confused: when i hear them pronounce it as in Renelagh the ears switch off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Seriously what is the Dublin 4 accent :confused:

Allow me. A D4 Accent is an accent that people outside Dublin immediately acquire when they move to Dublin. They speak with this accent to try and fit in and so they can sound clever. Incredibly popular with aspiring Cork women especially. They drop this D4 accent when they are angry or very excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Auld mr brennan has the original normal dublin accent, as the years went on people altered this to suit their backgrounds, the muppets out in donnybrook and balls bridge thought they were better than everyone else because they had a little more money so they spoke ever so grand, to seperate themselves from the riff raff.

Those who grew up in tallaght, ballymun and the liberties had to put on yet another very fake but much needed accent. They needed to sound as hard as nails, so they could "survive".

A lot of us with a bit of a brain have a fairly neutral accent. Don't need to prove ourselves to anybody.

I hate both the D4 and hard as nails wannabe scumbag accent, their users are mupets also.

They needed to sound as hard as nails, so they could "survive"So true, exaggerated accents are really common all over Ireland.

So true, exaggerated accents are really common all over Ireland.

lightening wrote: »
    Allow me. A D4 Accent is an accent that people outside Dublin immediately acquire when they move to Dublin. They speak with this accent to try and fit in and so they can sound clever. Incredibly popular with aspiring Cork women especially. They drop this D4 accent when they are angry or very excited.

Thank you :)

So its that haughty tauty accent that sounds like a student but not Dublin and yet Dublin :D I really can not abide when someone begins to speak as such (said with Dublin 4 accent picture it) :D

Auld mr brennan has the original normal dublin accent, as the years went on people altered this to suit their backgrounds, the muppets out in donnybrook and balls bridge thought they were better than everyone else because they had a little more money so they spoke ever so grand, to seperate themselves from the riff raff.

Those who grew up in tallaght, ballymun and the liberties had to put on yet another very fake but much needed accent. They needed to sound as hard as nails, so they could "survive".

A lot of us with a bit of a brain have a fairly neutral accent. Don't need to prove ourselves to anybody.

I hate both the D4 and hard as nails wannabe scumbag accent, their users are mupets also.

I had encounter with them :D was very interesting after a slagging match from them with their ever so snobbish accents,they got in a golf gti and came back around past my friend and i.As they continued to shout abuse out window like pack of animals and drunk:rolleyes:(so much for their snobbish accents ad upbringing) :D the driver smashed into the back of a taxi driver in front of him. No longer laughing nor his accent nor where he lived was getting him out of that one :D

• Advertisement

Whats funny when they hear my accent abroad,they are in shock.You don't sound anything like in the movies :D

drunk:rolleyes:(so much for their snobbish accents ad upbringing) :D the driver smashed into the back of a taxi driver in front of him.

Hmmmm... drunk driving, crashing cars, D4 accent... I would safely bet they were not from Dublin.

Hmmmm... drunk driving, crashing cars, D4 accent... I would safely bet they were not from Dublin.

Aliens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

It's sexy as fúck.

I sometimes record my voice and masturbate to it while watching Ronnie Drew travel around Dublin by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Which one? There are multiple Dublin accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Was going to give my opinion on this, but first things first -

WHERE DE FOOK IS ME BLEEDIN ME'HADOOOOOOOOONE

Was going to give my opinion on this, but first things first -

WHERE DE FOOK IS ME BLEEDIN ME'HADOOOOOOOOONE

Glass shattered everywhere :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

It's sexy as fúck.

I sometimes record my voice and masturbate to it while watching Ronnie Drew travel around Dublin by train.

lmfao, brilliant!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

seahorse wrote: »
    Ren = Ran.

My favourite, and a new-ish one is "thrun"........

As in throw, past tense - "I thrun 'ir 'ahm so I did" - "I threw it at him so I did"

I always get a laugh out of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

"Could you spare us some change for a hostel?"

lol I get that every day around Stevens Green.

Erm there isn't just one Dublin accent some are ok others are really bad , worst by far is D4 imo

• Advertisement

vinylbomb wrote: »
    My favourite, and a new-ish one is "thrun"........

As in throw, past tense - "I thrun 'ir 'ahm so I did" - "I threw it at him so I did".

That's an ancient one! I like it too though, old neighbour of mine used it all the time. "I trun a bone in to the dog der while you were ah' work" His wife thought everything was "shockin" or "massive".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I suspect to see 3-1 odds that we are not oul mr brennan as most of the culchies hate us anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

d4 accent annoys me I gotta say. I'm a big f**ing redneck btw and proud of it.

as most of the culchies hate us anyway!

The fella's do, read my earlier post about the girls. Sad, but very very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i heard a guy with a thick inner city dub accent *try* to sing once at a party. the windows shattered, pint glasses cracked, a dog exploded, nearby mp3 players got wiped and car tyres blew out on the entire street. ah well...at least the cork lad didn't sing:p

i heard a guy with a thick inner city dub accent *try* to sing once at a party. the windows shattered, pint glasses cracked, a dog exploded, nearby mp3 players got wiped and car tyres blew out on the entire street. ah well...at least the cork lad didn't sing:p

Was it U2, Ronnie Drew, Phil Lynot, Sinead O'Connor, Luke Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Was it U2, Ronnie Drew, Phil Lynot, Sinead O'Connor, Luke Kelly?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Depends on the part of Dublin..
    Full on inner city can be a bit much... Case in point, in town the other day and this STUNNER of a girl walks by with some mates. Everyones checking her out until she shouts across the road...
    'Deco!!! Dyi wan a boite-a-me borger?' (translation: declan, would you like a bite of my burger?') Queue tongues being put firmly back in mouths and no further notice taken.

Love a lil bit of a twang tho, nice to have something to show for my northside upbringin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOL at the "weekly culchie rant" tag which someone always adds to these threads. :D

There are aspects to Dublin-speak that I find so endearing and which actually make me laugh (in a good way) - for instance, "yiz". May seem innocuous, but I just think it's really funny. I don't know why. I always chuckle when I hear Bill Cullen say it.

And the adding of "o" to various nouns/proper nouns - "lotto" appears to be universal now but it has to have originated in Dublin. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

dublin 12 accents rule the country;)

aul brennans bread!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement