Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Depends what kind of Dublin accent it is and the mouth it is coming out of!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i heard a guy with a thick inner city dub accent *try* to sing once at a party. the windows shattered, pint glasses cracked, a dog exploded, nearby mp3 players got wiped and car tyres blew out on the entire street. ah well...at least the cork lad didn't sing:p

well it clearly wasnt luke kelly/ronnie drew/Frank Harte/barney mckenna/luke cheevers/ciaran bourke/jim mccann/Tim Dennehy ad finitum........... then no?

someone cant sing?????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: he must be from dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Azureus wrote: »
    Depends on the part of Dublin..
    Full on inner city can be a bit much... Case in point, in town the other day and this STUNNER of a girl walks by with some mates. Everyones checking her out until she shouts across the road...
    'Deco!!! Dyi wan a boite-a-me borger?' (translation: declan, would you like a bite of my burger?') Queue tongues being put firmly back in mouths and no further notice taken.

Love a lil bit of a twang tho, nice to have something to show for my northside upbringin!

Ahh you see thats where you went wrong! Your assuming its a hamburger but deco knows its the furry burger :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cute like aul Mr Brennan :rolleyes:

That aul bugger & his aul ****ty Dublin accent should be confined to d'history books along wit da smell of d'liffey wit da tide out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Dudess wrote: »
    And the adding of "o" to various nouns/proper nouns - "lotto" appears to be universal now but it has to have originated in Dublin. :)

Humour fail here, but I believe its Italian? :)

Mind you, I love the glottal "double t" pronounciation too. I used to work in a video shop close to the city centre a few years ago, and some lad came in with his kid looking for (said in helium-high pitched tone) "Haf yiz goh Hardy Pottorh, , fer deh yungfleh, its blaydin savage"

I burst my sh*te laughing in his face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

I dont like any accents on this island to be honest. The whole area of Wexford, Carlow and Wicklow taking the biscuit.

The only tollerable Irish accent is the one that you cant particularly make out. It could be from anywhere. A kind of Pan - Irish Accent.
    Its always easy to understand, the kind of accent you could speak normally with someone who wasnt from Ireland and they wouldnt have any difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Now you would think a word like "Crisps" would be simple enough to grasp...but NO!!! not for a true blue inner city dublin accent...he/she says "Crips"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Voltex wrote: »
    Now you would think a word like "Crisps" would be simple enough to grasp...but NO!!!
    People from "de Wesht" manage to mangle it, make it even longer and say crishpsh!!!

That's accents for you dude! Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

lightening wrote: »
    People from "de Wesht" manage to mangle it, make it even longer and say crishpsh!!!

That's accents for you dude! Get over it.

Do they not just say TAYTO for every type ....(that drives me mad, I just want to shake them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A Dublin accent goes down bleedin deadly in the States, talk your way out of any traffic violation :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A Dublin accent goes down bleedin deadly in the States, talk your way out of any traffic violation :D

It instills fear rather than respect.

Voltex wrote: »
    Now you would think a word like "Crisps" would be simple enough to grasp...but NO!!! not for a true blue inner city dublin accent...he/she says "Crips"

Pump your brakes there kid, you would think "Ham" was easy enough, no?

Where did the "Hang Sangwitch" come from then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yellowsubmarine

Does every county not say trun? Ha I'm from Navan and a lot of my friends have been sayin 'trun' since they were kids.

Does every county not say trun? Ha I'm from Navan and a lot of my friends have been sayin 'trun' since they were kids.

Didn't know that yellow. Maybe the accent is spreading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

i heard a guy with a thick inner city dub accent *try* to sing once at a party. the windows shattered, pint glasses cracked, a dog exploded, nearby mp3 players got wiped and car tyres blew out on the entire street. ah well...at least the cork lad didn't sing:p
    neil_hosey wrote: »
    well it clearly wasnt luke kelly/ronnie drew/Frank Harte/barney mckenna/luke cheevers/ciaran bourke/jim mccann/Tim Dennehy ad finitum........... then no?

someone cant sing?????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: he must be from dublin :rolleyes:

Was Ronnie Drew not from Dun Laoghaire? Frank Harte from Chapelizod? Barney Mckenna from Donnycarney? Luke Cheevers from Ringsend? And is Tim Dennehy not from Kerry?!

TheZohan wrote: »
    Was Ronnie Drew not from Dun Laoghaire? Frank Harte from Chapelizod? Barney Mckenna from Donnycarney? Luke Cheevers from Ringsend? And is Tim Dennehy not from Kerry?!

Myself and Neil were proving Mal-Adjusted wrong there Zohan! Poor Mal reckons Dubs can't sing and Neil and I were proving him wrong by naming various vocal artists from the Dublin area, Mal obviously now realises that Dublin is not only the true heart of industry and finance, on the island, but also the epicenter of culture and the arts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Myself and Neil were proving Mal-Adjusted wrong there Zohan! Poor Mal reckons Dubs can't sing and Neil and I were proving him wrong by naming various vocal artists from the Dublin area, Mal obviously now realises that Dublin is not only the true heart of industry and finance, on the island, but also the epicenter of culture and the arts.

Ah I see, carry on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I voted that the Dubberlin accent was an assault on the ears, but I did not mean all of them .... just the really strong inner city ones that you can barely understand.

Probably 90% of Dub accents are fine, 5% are the D4 types and I love taking the piss out of their accent "ah roysh, yeah" .... its the other 5% that give the Dub accent a bad name.

(may have percentages wrong there :pac:)

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Where did the "Hang Sangwitch" come from then?

So whats a "Hang Sagwitch" and what is a 'Trun' (see post#134) :confused:

Camelot wrote: »
    So whats a "Hang Sagwitch" and what is a 'Trun' (see post#134) :confused:

A Trun is a mythical beast that lives in the waters of the Liffey, and its nemesis is the Hang Sangwitch, which roams the wild plains of the midlands, and hibernates in the hills of Kerry.

Sorry what? Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Nothin wrong with the Dublin accent, better than all the culchie accents anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

Do you mean like throw?

I'm from Waterford and thats a big Waterford thing too!

There was this mad old woman who worked in the canteen in school who used to say..

"I dont care who trun tha, I just wanna know who trun tha"

Gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Nothin wrong with the Dublin accent, better than all the culchie accents anyway...

you may not have been the first person to say that on this thread.

vinylbomb wrote: »
    Sorry what? Are you serious?

Yes I am serious, what is a Hang Sangwitch, and what is a Trun ?

Obviously the 1st one means a Ham Sandwich, and Trun is a Train? but whats with the spelling?

Seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Camelot wrote: »
    Yes I am serious, what is a Hang Sangwitch, and what is a Trun ?

Obviously the 1st one means a Ham Sandwich, and Trun is a Train? but whats with the spelling?

Seriously!
    'Trun' is the phonetic spelling of 'threw' in some people's mangled interpretation of the present perfect tense. It's a nonexistent word used by some members of the working class in Dublin and, judging by the responses above, many parts of Ireland.

'I trun a rock at the Garda car.'
    'I trun a length in her.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Dudess wrote: »
    And the adding of "o" to various nouns/proper nouns - "lotto" appears to be universal now but it has to have originated in Dublin. :)

Australia is far worse for that. And i can't wait for auld Mr Brennan to die. He sounds like a retard. I like the normal Dublin accent, the one in the middle somewhere between D4 and Summerhill.

Whats with 'The Indo' :rolleyes:

Across the water its 'The Inde' because if you fold it in half . . . .

"The Inde^pendent" with no sign of an 'O', so whats the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

major thumbs up to the Dublin accent.Very sexy.second only to the Liverpool accent mmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

lol, you really are quite deluded there aren't you lightening? i never said dubliners can't sing, simply provoded a humerous story. if you want to get your knickers in a twist over it, go knock yourself out...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The women over here in Leicester love it.
    I can see my accent slowly getting stronger over the next few months. ;)

Problem is it usually takes a few sentences before they realise I'm Irish. I'm a busy man. Don't have time for all this flirting/conversation malarkey.
    Anyone have any good greetings I could use to convey my accent with immediate effect?
    Anything except howaya.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement