Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Honestly, I prefer the "giz a yuro bud for a hostel" to the D4 "omg like got newwww ugs today, theyre so focccckin hawt". I can handle the knacker accent, the D4 accent just makes me want to walk away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Duuurty English birds on holiday love my accent. I Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Blisterman wrote: »
    The women over here in Leicester love it..

Leicester accent is AMAZING........mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

lol, you really are quite deluded there aren't you lightening?

No! I just know that the Dublin accent is a big turn on for women! That's all... Most Irish women won't admit it, but it's true.

(If any of your female relations have been in Dublin for a "girls night" or a "bit of shopping" my sincere thanks ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The extremes of both can be pretty bad. I absolutely detest the D4 accent, it makes me want to claw off my ears, whereas I can stand the extreme skanger one, probably from living on the northside my whole life. I do cringe at the likes of "thrun it.." though. Dear God could you get any worse english?

Never thought I really had an accent until one of my mates informed me I do a bit. Tend to notice it a lot more now. That's what I get for working in my local shop :P

Also,people are doing great jobs of typing out stuff in the accent. Laughing my ass off at how typical and true most of them are :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Met a Dublin woman recently, she was gorgeous so I like the accent now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Depends on where in Dublin and whos mouth it's coming out of..generally it's pretty nice and kind of sing songy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I`m English, and like all English girls go all weak at the knees over most Irish accents.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I love the English womans accent ;)

Well OP, I think your poll is very misleading, as the both options are completely differant. You might as well put in the D4 poncie accent too.

Auld mr brennan = original dublin accent. Which is pleasant and it is quite cute.

The sour earsore you hear = fake sh!te that was formed over the past 15 20 years. Same with the D4 accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I love the English womans accent ;)

Well OP, I think your poll is very misleading, as the both options are completely differant. You might as well put in the D4 poncie accent too.

Auld mr brennan = original dublin accent. Which is pleasant and it is quite cute.

The sour earsore you hear = fake sh!te that was formed over the past 15 20 years. Same with the D4 accent.

+1 lol, i'd say that this is very much the case. might as well poll all the different accents...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The Dublin accent is the only Irish accent that foreign woman find attractive. So when you hear all the cliches and sterotypes about the Irish accent being loved around the world, its actually the Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Auld dublin man accent is the best for storytelling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it rapes my ears. Getting used to it living here though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The strawman

I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Dublin accent is the only Irish accent that foreign woman find attractive. So when you hear all the cliches and sterotypes about the Irish accent being loved around the world, its actually the Dublin accent.
    Can you back your claim up with proof skywalker? Any time i go to Nottingham, i find the local wimmins love my melodious West Limerick accent. Its not just the Dub one they go for, its any Irish tone that is clear and concise yet rounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

grenache wrote: »
    Can you back your claim up with proof skywalker? Any time i go to Nottingham, i find the local wimmins love my melodious West Limerick accent. Its not just the Dub one they go for, its any Irish tone that is clear and concise yet rounded.

Limerick accent??????

*BLEH!!! Pukes everywhere*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

Definitely not true, mate.
    Almost everyone I've spoken to from another country really likes my accent, and it's an south Antrim one (admittedly a mild one - not quite a Belfast one).

Danny-B wrote: »
    Definitely not true, mate.
    Almost everyone I've spoken to from another country really likes my accent, and it's an south Antrim one (admittedly a mild one - not quite a Belfast one).

No, no, no, they are lying to you and wishing you spoke with a Dublin accent. All women love the Dublin accent, your mothers, wives, sisters, girlfriends, aunties, all of the. They fantasize about Met with Dublin accents doing naughty things to them.

Most of them have had flings with Dublin men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's a pretty vomit-inducing accent. A big turn off in a girl too if they have a really strong one. You're just like "Yeah, you're cute - but stop talking."

I actually like the scanger moths i like their accents and the fact that they are almost always dressed for bed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

lightening wrote: »
    No, no, no, they are lying to you and wishing you spoke with a Dublin accent. All women love the Dublin accent, your mothers, wives, sisters, girlfriends, aunties, all of the. They fantasize about Met with Dublin accents doing naughty things to them.

Most of them have had flings with Dublin men.

you sound like you're compensating for something there mate.;)

• Advertisement

you sound like you're compensating for something there mate.;)

No, read my posts, I don't need to. Honestly, I'm not messing. Head to temple bar with a Dublin accent, its a sure thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Fair City

Wife-beating

Heroin use

Gargle

Aslan

"Could you spare us some change for a hostel?"

IRELAND and NO FEAR tattoos

:pac:
    talk about speaking in generalities :P, I'm from northside of Dublin but don't have a particularly strong Dublin accent, possibly because my parents are from the country. Now who'll like it if someone started a farmers/country people accent thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Fair City

Wife-beating

Heroin use

Gargle

Aslan

"Could you spare us some change for a hostel?"

IRELAND and NO FEAR tattoos

:pac:

Its like your tryin to make it sound like bein from Dublin is a bad thing.

North Side Dub and proud! Very VERY sexy on a lad

Hate that D4 accent though.....grrrrrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Hmm. Mispronunciation can be really irritating, in any accent. It's the innate cultural acceptance that a word, when you were growing up, is uttered and spelt the same way it was when you were 5. That's not right, is it? I don't have a volley of examples just now, but something like, 'Samejez' for sandwiches or such.

Oh yeah, nothing really to do with where you're from regarding Dublin per se, but when people say for example: "It wouldn't OF happened to me!" rather than "It wouldn't HAVE happened..."

I think that's might be more of a country thing, but don't lambast me please, if you think differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I think that's might be more of a country thing, but don't lambast me please, if you think differently.

I think it is more of a spelling issue than an accent issue. I dont care about people saying I wouldnt 'ave/of, it is when written down that it bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

It may some day be acceptable to write wouldn't've - which is what people actually say.

asdasd wrote: »
    It may some day be acceptable to write wouldn't've - which is what people actually say.

I think willn't should be allowed too :pac: It just means will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An accent is an accent and I don't have any issue with that, but the basic and simple pronunciation/mispronunciation of words and phrases sort of irks me. It's so lazy and ignorant, and I suppose it's enshrined in people and they don't really give a toss and don't want to improve or change. Some examples are: atter for after, as in, "I'm atter goin' there," or, "Did you get that ott (off) him." Dubs do have a tendency to mispronounce more than other accents. I wouldn't be pedantic on the issue, because some words are a little too awkward to pronounce completely all the time, so we sort of shorten them to a degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone see the Apprentice last night. The girl from Finglas got booted off. Her accent and pronunciation of words was pretty bad to listen to and not once did she even try to change.

The phrase "Are you alright," isn't too difficult to string together.
    I know it could be tempting to shorten this to, "yorright," but on
    National TV, I would at least try to get the three words out succinctly.

The girl last night couldn't even manage that. It just sounded so bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement