Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shilling/Commercial Interest in Music Production - again.

Options
  • 04-10-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

As you lot know, there's been some talk in the past about the Music Production forum and commercial interaction. The decision was to spin-off a commercial sub-forum and has worked well until now. I think the problem needs looking into as the debate taking place in the main forum concerns the private and commercial interests of some posters and involves the allegation of copyright breach by a Boards member - none of which has been handled privately.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055699322

I don't think the forum should be used to air personal grievances, especially those of this magnitude.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Not sure about the subject itself as I don't use the forum but legal issues are usually one of the things that are out of bounds on boards as asking a bunch of people on a discusion site for legal advice is kinda insane and a bad road to go down, not to mention the repercussions it sould have for the site itself if something were to go bad. A mod of the forum advising the op in the thread in to consult a lawyer as he could have a case seems a bit borderline imo.

On the subject of people using a forum to publicly sort matters that should be sorted out in private it is generally frowned upon on boards as it just usually results in shit-slinging, but I don't know if there is any hard-set rule on it. Have you pmd the mods of the forum about your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Thread has since been closed. From what I can gather, and according to the charter, it should have been closed after the first post. Some really interesting terminology used in what is essentially a witch-hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭petermaher

TelePaul wrote: »
    As you lot know, there's been some talk in the past about the Music Production forum and commercial interaction. The decision was to spin-off a commercial sub-forum and has worked well until now. I think the problem needs looking into as the debate taking place in the main forum concerns the private and commercial interests of some posters and involves the allegation of copyright breach by a Boards member - none of which has been handled privately.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055699322

I don't think the forum should be used to air personal grievances, especially those of this magnitude.
    As the OP of the thread in question I have to state for the fourth or fifth time that it was not my intention to air personal grievances in public, nor was the post used as an opportunity to promote myself or anyone else commercially. The title of the thread was what it was. Certain elements of the post were blown way out of proportion by certain posters. I apologise for any part I had to play in this. Both myself and the other boards user in question have resolved our differences in private and we both agree that it was a huge misunderstanding and I apologise for the part I played in that. As I said it was never my intention to blacken the name of anyone on this forum and the way it was blown out of proportion was beyond my control. I stated at the started of the thread that I believed this forum was a positive thing for music production and I still believe it is and therefore I find it extremely regrettable that the thread ended with the posts being reduced to childish name calling. Mr Brewer is a hell of a nice guy.

petermaher wrote: »
    Both myself and the other boards user in question have resolved our differences in private and we both agree that it was a huge misunderstanding and I apologise for the part I played in that..

Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

FFS. You really just have to laugh at Brewer and his love-ins. A fcuking joke of a forum at this stage. May as well be called the audio warehouse forum. Simple as that.

Pretty funny thread and tbh the real blame lies with the person responsible for bringing the culprit into the studio.

OP needs to get over himself and how awesome he thinks his studio acoustics are. A guy wanted to copy your designs. If I spent money on an architect designing my house and someone came along and copied it, then there's feck all i can do about it in reality (whether or not the design is patented/copyrighted).

The 'consultancy' business is a fcukin racket anyway (a good, useful racket but a racket all the same), and this whole issue just illustrates that point further.

• Advertisement

LOL @ the over-use of the word 'culprit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭petermaher

jtsuited wrote: »
    FFS. You really just have to laugh at Brewer and his love-ins. A fcuking joke of a forum at this stage. May as well be called the audio warehouse forum. Simple as that.

Pretty funny thread and tbh the real blame lies with the person responsible for bringing the culprit into the studio.

OP needs to get over himself and how awesome he thinks his studio acoustics are. A guy wanted to copy your designs. If I spent money on an architect designing my house and someone came along and copied it, then there's feck all i can do about it in reality (whether or not the design is patented/copyrighted).

The 'consultancy' business is a fcukin racket anyway (a good, useful racket but a racket all the same), and this whole issue just illustrates that point further.
    Once again I have to repeat myself, there's no culprit, nor was the thread about that, for a "music production" forum everyone seems to have a real problem listening. As I said the guy in question and I had what turned into a friendly chat and we've resolved our differences so no more needs to said about that. It was a misunderstanding and it's sorted out. However, seeing your house and trying to copy the design is one thing, copying an acoustic design for a commercial studio directly from someone else's plans is another matter and is most definitely copyright infringement. Every world class studio I've been in or can think of was designed by a pro acoustician/consultant. If you have another approach then please share it with us. I thought this was a discussion forum anyway? So far I feel like I'm on monty python and signed up for the 5min argument.

petermaher wrote: »
    Once again I have to repeat myself, there's no culprit, nor was the thread about that, for a "music production" forum everyone seems to have a real problem listening. As I said the guy in question and I had what turned into a friendly chat and we've resolved our differences so no more needs to said about that. It was a misunderstanding and it's sorted out. However, seeing your house and trying to copy the design is one thing, copying an acoustic design for a commercial studio directly from someone else's plans is another matter and is most definitely copyright infringement. Every world class studio I've been in or can think of was designed by a pro acoustician/consultant. If you have another approach then please share it with us. I thought this was a discussion forum anyway? So far I feel like I'm on monty python and signed up for the 5min argument.

Pete, sorry if I have got off on the wrong foot with you. You seem like a nice enough bloke but you have to understand that this isn't the first time that the commercial aspects of music production have interferred in what is a public forum. And despite your claims, I genuinely find it hard to believe that the sole purpose of that thread was to inform people of the dangers of poor acoustics. Perhaps I didn't understand the magnitude of the situation - I even prefaced my comment with something to that effect - but PBs insistence on making things personal (again, by referring to a past occurence that I don't think you were around for) largely for YOUR benefit tells me that people can't differentiate between a personal interest and a professional interest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

TelePaul wrote: »

Did you report the post so a Mod could deal with it?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Did you report the post so a Mod could deal with it?

No. Fitz had already posted early in the thread so I figured Mods were okay with it. I didn't know Fitz was no-longer the MP mod. So no, I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Under each nickname on this site it will state if you are a Mod/Admin or not.
    <---

The names of the Mods are also at the bottom of the forum.

It also should not matter whither the mod of that forum posts in the thread or not, if you do not like a comment then report it.

It is up to the people of a particular forum to help make it what they want it to be.
    The people in a particular forum make that forum.
    You are as much responsible as everyone else with regards to the content.

Under each nickname on this site it will state if you are a Mod/Admin or not.

Thanks. The MP forum has a pretty high turnover when it comes to mods, it's easy to lose track.
    It is up to the people of a particular forum to help make it what they want it to be.
    The people in a particular forum make that forum.
    You are as much responsible as everyone else with regards to the content.

That's exactly why I started this thread.

Advertisement