Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod problem.

Options
  • 04-10-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Dont know if i have any rights about this,and just wondering what i should do.

I've heard that just because a warranty is gone,it doesnt mean that you cant get any compensation for something thats faulty etc.

So basically,i bought an iPod Touch around 1 year and 8 months ago,its been dodgey,and now doesnt work at all,battery always says its low when its full etc (when it does turn on).

The shop i bought it from,told me they cant help since that they dont sell the product anymore:pac:

But im just wondering,could i get a replacement,even a repair if i go in saying under the sale of goods + supply of services act that it says it must be fit for its purpose (its not) and of merchantable quailty (again,its not).

So what do you think ? Should i go in and try to get a repair etc,or should i just forget about it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

i think your pushing your luck after 2 year

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

the only way you can get anywhere is to peruse through the small claims court.

apple would have supplied the retailer with 1 year warranty with their products and would not entertain anything after that. explain this to them and politly say you are going to go through the small claims court ..either you will get sorted at store level or @ court

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

With Apple products, you're better off dealing with Apple themselves rather than the retailer. Try contacting Apple Customer Care and see what they say to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dudara wrote: »
    With Apple products, you're better off dealing with Apple themselves rather than the retailer. Try contacting Apple Customer Care and see what they say to you.
    If I remember correctly Apple tend to be very strict on their 1 year rule if you did not buy the Apple insurance (generally a waste of cash if you don't need help with how to use OS X etc.).

If they give the hardline (and I expect they will) then you need to go for the retailer as they are the once you have a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought EU law was 2yrs. So that might work in the small claims court.

However the iPod might just need a hard reset.

I fixed one buy removing the battery for a few minutes then resetting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BostonB wrote: »

The 2 year EU directive might apply here alright - but don't go straight to the SCC - give Apple or the retailer a decent chance to sort it out first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

BostonB wrote: »

However the iPod might just need a hard reset.

I fixed one buy removing the battery for a few minutes then resetting it.

The iPod batteries are non removable normally .. did you wedge it open with a penknife :) ?

craichoe wrote: »
    The iPod batteries are non removable normally .. did you wedge it open with a penknife :) ?

Not a penknife, blade from a craft knife. Theres loads of guides on the web how to open a iPod. You do it your own risk. The one I did was about 5yrs old (4th gen) so well out of warranty. The latest ones (6th gen onwards) are meant to much harder to open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dudara wrote: »
    The 2 year EU directive might apply here alright - but don't go straight to the SCC - give Apple or the retailer a decent chance to sort it out first.
    It would not apply actually as Ireland did not sign it (stating that the current legislation gives more protection).

What a pain. Some products like Sony mobiles have 2yrs anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement