Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp patch on ceiling.

• 04-10-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just discovered a leak in the central heating pipes above the kitchen. Large damp patch appeared a couple of days ago and I lifted the floor boards in on eof the bedrooms. Pipe joint is leaking! I have a container under it catch the water and the plunber is coming first thing in the morning to fix the joint, but I'm just wondering about the ceiling plasterboard.
    Does it HAVE to be replaced? It has'nt fallen in and I am hoping I can paint over the stain after it has thouroghly dried.
    I did this before in the living room, painted over the damp mark with oil based paint, then painted normally. Worked a treat, but this time the mark is much larger.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Had a similar problem , see how it looks after it fully dries , you can buy a stain blocker i would defo try that and maybe see how you fair out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I used a mixed solution of pva and ceiling paint. It blocked the stain lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jusanudderolguy

Just use ordinary white undercoat paint. When dry put ceiling emulsion over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

On a sideways but related issue - how did you repair the central heating pipe that was leaking there? From the first floor?

Edit: Having read the post properly, I see that you lifted a floorboard and then had a plumber arrive. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You have two choices in a situation like this - lift a floorboard, or if you can't, break open the ceiling.
    I'm sure there's a video on youtube to show how to lift a floor board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement