If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotsa new stuff - grateful 4 yr thoughts

Options
  • 04-10-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am planning to bin NTL/UPC and get a Freesat HD dish + a terrestrial antenna for the Irish channels, with a HUMAX FoxSat HD PVR, a new 37" HD TV + a DVD player and maybe 5.1 home cinema too.

So anyway,
    - At 37" is the HD difference really noticeable?
    - any recommendations for important features to look for & best value products in 37" HD TVs?
    - How do you HUMAX Foxsat users find it? I've found some scary comments online from users with tech issues.
    - Any recommendations for 5.1 home cinema in a box, maybe with a DVD player? Not much budget left!
    - Am thinking a cheap DVD player (if not included in home cinema) will be fine, or am I wrong?
    - Finally, I'm told that the Irish terrestrial channels can't be recorded on the Humax PVR. Seems like a pain in the butt. Any way to get around that?

Grateful for your thoughts on any of these! Happy to drop in-store if it makes more sense.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My thought is "Man, I really hate txtspk in forum thread titles"

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Reesy wrote: »
    Hi,

Am planning to bin NTL/UPC and get a Freesat HD dish + a terrestrial antenna for the Irish channels, with a HUMAX FoxSat HD PVR, a new 37" HD TV + a DVD player and maybe 5.1 home cinema too.

So anyway,
    - At 37" is the HD difference really noticeable?
    - any recommendations for important features to look for & best value products in 37" HD TVs?
    - How do you HUMAX Foxsat users find it? I've found some scary comments online from users with tech issues.
    - Any recommendations for 5.1 home cinema in a box, maybe with a DVD player? Not much budget left!
    - Am thinking a cheap DVD player (if not included in home cinema) will be fine, or am I wrong?
    - Finally, I'm told that the Irish terrestrial channels can't be recorded on the Humax PVR. Seems like a pain in the butt. Any way to get around that?

Grateful for your thoughts on any of these! Happy to drop in-store if it makes more sense.

Thanks!

Reesy,

Many thanks for the post - you should probably post over on the general HE Forums as well however I'm happy to give you my opinion as well.

The Humax by common consent is a really popular and well reviewed unit and the pic quality really is excellent (and it's subscription free as well!) however the Irish terristerial channels are not on Freesat at all at the moment, therefore they cannot be recorded and you will have to resort to a conventional DVDR or DVD HD to record these.

Re 37" HD - I feel that you are better off getting a decent non HD set than a poor full HD TV - however the bottom line is that there are fewer and fewer non full HD sets at 37" around anyway.

The best buys we have at the monent in 37" are probably the LG 37LH2010 which at £449.95 / €499.99 is an excellent HD ready 37" http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/37lh2000/lg-37lh20starstar or alternatively you can have the 37LF7700 at just £599.95 / €669.99 - this is a full HD unit with the great bonus of a Freesat receiver built in http://www.lge.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-37LF7700.jsp this unit has proven really popular with Boardies already.

From Philips you can have the 37PFL5604H at just €699.95 (less your 10% Philips Shop Boardies discount it comes down to just €629.99!) this again is a full HD unit and it looks and especially sounds great! http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pfl5604h_12/37pfl5604h_12_pss_eng.pdf this unit is Full HD / MPEG4 and has USB inputs to replay multimedia files.

On the 5.1 system price - I have to say that we would always recommend a proper separates system over a one box solution - again I'm sure that any Boardie in the HE forum will recommend this option and if you are interested we can suggest a few options at really reasonable pricing - however if budget is tight I would recommend the new HTS3020 5.1 system at £149.95 again less your 10% Boardies discount which nets out at €134.99 http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3020_05/hts3020_05_pss_eng.pdf this unit includes the DVD player.

Sorry for rambling on, again - have a browse around the general HE forums and if we can assist in any way just drop us a line and we will do our best.

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.