Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get the most out of Recruitment Consultancies

Options
  • 04-10-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just over 42,000 have viewed the "name, shame and praise recruitment consultants" in another post. Alot of people are frustrated with service standards from the agencies in Ireland. Below are some pointers on how to get the most out of recruiters and selecting the right ones

-Registrar with the top 3-4 maximum

-If possible, try and find out the specific names of recruiters that friends or colleagues have encountered EG you could go onto boards.ie and pose the question on a forum

-The main thing is getting a Recruitment Consultant with at least 2 years experience, and understanding of your discipline, who has forged good relationships with clients in your field. Recruitment is a high turnover industry, so this can be difficult, but it is doable if you do your research!

-Always call in advance if you see a job that you are interested in. Clarify that the role is still open. When recruiters advertise roles, they generally put them up on the sites as soon as the job comes in, and then start working through their database. They do all kinds of searches on their systems - google like searches of CVs, searches based on salaries, searches based on location, searches based on job title eg there is no point calling yourself a "Senior Manager" on your CV - you could be Senior Manager of anything. They dont have time to click into what appears to be irrelevent CVs. It's vital that they have all this info when searching. They will not have it if you have just got a "keep on file" acknowledgment.

- A lot of consultants can submit shortlists from their databases, so don’t end up considering people who apply through the jobs boards after 24 hours. A good recruiter will only submit 5-6 CVs to a client and generally this can be sought through their database. A 48 hour or so turn runaround of good quality candidates generally impresses most clients

-Request a meeting with the consultant. If they say no, push back on them and say that you would really like to registrar. If they have met you in person, it is far more likely that they will remember you

-A recruiter should give you some feedback on your CV. It is not their responsibility to go through it in too much detail, but it is in both your interests that you present yourself to your full potential

-When you meet, the consultant should know more than what is just outlined on the job spec. Ask them specific questions eg structure of the team, reporting structure, a background to the business. If they don’t know this information, I would question just how strong a relationship they have with the client. Are they going to be able to influence your application or have they just rang the client after noticing the job online??

-Clarify when next contact is going to be made and ask them if it is okay for YOU to call THEM every so often to touch base. Tell them you would like to remain in regular contact and ask them if they agree that this would be a good thing? Im sure they will agree to everything, so it is something you can bring up again if they do not do it!

-It is up to you to chase up recruiters. They are being pulled in every direction at the moment and cant really win! They are managing an increased volume of applications and are working extremely hard to get more jobs on to approach you about

-If an agency say that you are not suitable for a job, the best thing is to just accept it and move on. It is in their interest to put the best candidates forward, so they would if you were right for a job. You should always try and get feedback if you can.

-Remember, recruitment is a sales business. It is in their interest to get the best people in front of their clients. ALWAYS be honest and upfront with recruiters on everything eg. Do you have other interviews going on? ( you shouldnt disclose what companies these interviews are with ) Will you only move for XX salary? Is the location right for you? If you have concerns it’s in both your interests to get them addressed. Ireland is too small a place to annoy potential employers

-Never disclose to a recruiter what other companies you are interviewing with.

-Do not deal with agencies who have not requested your permission to send your CV to a client. This is the worst form of practice an agency can do. It is not fair on the agencies who follow the correct process and earn their commission! You should always be met by an agency and called about a job in advance.

-If it ever becomes an issue, I would suggest sending an email directly to the client indicating that you would like X company to represent you. Squabbling amongst the agencies is the last thing HR Professsionals in organisations want to get involved in.

-Quite often they will tell you the things you want to hear. I would have more respect for the recruiters who are honest and direct than ones who give general feedback such as “ you don’t have enough general experience” . You should be getting something more precise than that

-General Career Advice & Career Blog @ http://www.careermentors.ie

Mairead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Remember, recruitment is a sales business. It is in their interest to get the best people in front of their clients. ALWAYS be honest and upfront with recruiters on everything eg. Do you have other interviews going on?
    Will you only move for XX salary? Is the location right for you? If you have concerns it’s in both your interests to get them addressed. Ireland is too small a place to annoy potential employers

:D

Ya if you want the company you are interviewing with to be spammed with cvs from the recruitment agency. They have no business knowing what jobs you are going for, its just a sneaky tactic to find out what other companies are recruiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mairead1975

Hi - agree, the point following on from the one below also advises this.....will edit the post to make this clearer! Thanks.Mairead

Remember, recruitment is a sales business. It is in their interest to get the best people in front of their clients. ALWAYS be honest and upfront with recruiters on everything eg. Do you have other interviews going on? Will you only move for XX salary? Is the location right for you? If you have concerns it’s in both your interests to get them addressed. Ireland is too small a place to annoy potential employers

Never disclose to a recruiter what other companies you are interviewing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Some good advise here but a lot of it doesn't apply at the moment. For example I have phoned and e-mailed a particular recruitment agency about a job and they simply don't answer the phone or e-mails. Also I have never come across an agency who understands my sector, they simple read the job spec out loud... hello, I have already read it!!! Unless recruitment consultants change they way they treat job seekers and act in a professional manner they will avoid you like the plague. If I was not unemployed and simply wanted to change jobs there is no way I would send a cv to ANY recruitment agency.

Sorry to hear that is what you've experienced - I expect alot of people are the same. The process above is one that I would try to maximise your opportunity of getting the best out of recruiters. I take on board that the market is different and everyone is under pressure.

One thing I'll say - the same way recruiters are not getting back to jobseekers, HR professionals and In-house Recruiters often do not get back to them with any further information on jobs - you could leave 8-10 messages for HR and they wont return your calls - they just send you on the job-specs and refuse to take calls from there, so the recruiters can only "read off the job specs". It makes even experienced recruiters look bad. I know there are bad recruiters out there, but there are also very good ones who have relationships established with certain clients and are respected by those clients.

I worked in recruitment for 9 years and I am confident that I knew my market inside out. I know the person who replaced me is the same. If a company / HR worked with me then my delivery to candidates was 10 times better. If they didnt return my calls, I was restricted in the information I could pass onto candidates eg structure of departments, salaries, reason for the vacancy, how long the role had been open for ETC. 9 out of 10 times they did return my calls, but that's because I knew them from being in it so long. You need to find experienced recruiters.

Thanks
    Mairead

How do you find experience recruiters? Imagine the reaction I would get if I asked how much experience THEY had!!! I know no one who can recommend one.

Also, you talk about recruitment consultants with good relationships with companies... this is probably only with large companies who recruit on a regular basis. I don't work in a sector like that.

• Advertisement

What area do you work in?

You could go on www.linkedin.com, key in the name of an agency you want to target in the "advanced search field", check out the profiles of alot of their employees and you will find out who the most experienced recruiters are. Takes work, but it's an option. There are over 900 Recruitment Consultants / In House Recruiters on LinkedIn.com

Takes tenacity to get through to them - wouldnt just give up after one voicemail. I used to leave my phone for half an hour and come back to 15 voicemails - that was in boom times when you couldnt get candidates, would say it's more like 25 messages in half an houur. I totally get your frustration - dont think I dont. This isnt going to work for all of them, but the odd one it might. If you can get an experienced recruiter who is at their desk then at least you get to speak to them!!

Spend most your time sending your CV directly, but dont totally write off agencies

Just trying to help....

Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

-Registrar with the top 3-4 maximum

How does that fit in with applying for jobs you see online? To get any details about a job, you pretty much have to send in your CV anyway.
    A recruiter should give you some feedback on your CV. It is not their responsibility to go through it in too much detail, but it is in both your interests that you present yourself to your full potential

I'm still amazed how many agencies don't seem to do this. I got about 8 CVs last year, and I think only 2 of them were under 3 pages - and two of them were more than 10!

I dont think you should necessarily apply to jobs you see online. Alot of the jobs you see online arent genuine real jobs - this has been discussed at length on the other posting.

One of the most unethical agencies Ive come across had about 80% more jobs online than most - none of them were genuine. All you could see was that agency all over the jobs boards, when they were a small agency with a handful of recruiters and clients. They appeared to jobseekers like they had ALL the jobs, when in reality they had virtually none and were just building up their database.

What Im suggesting above is that you try and registrar ( ie meet - not just send in your CV ) the agencies that you have heard are more reputable irrespective of whether or not they have jobs for you at the moment. I know this is hard, but if you are worthwhile and have skills that employers are looking for, you will be met

The name shame and praise post may help find the few good ones - and also the linkedin suggestion to find experienced recruiters

Thanks
    Mairead

By only going for jobs that are coming through agencies you have registered with, you must be cutting down your chances considerably. My last two interviews (offers made both times) have been from vacancies I applied to on irishjobs.ie, and both were with agencies I hadn't deal with before.

I probably sent my CV to 12 or more recruitment agencies during this period. I wasn't delighted about doing it, but had I been more cautious, I wouldn't have ended up getting the job I am in now.

At the end of the day - it's snippets of advice.....will work for some people and others it wont - people can take it or leave it much like alot of the interaction / exhanges on forums.

I believe it is good advice and important that you know where your CV is going - it worked for you, for others it'd end up a mess and their CV landing all over the place.

Congrats on 2 job offers in todays market - good to hear some positive news!!

Mairead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I would have to say it is crazy to limit yourself to a few agencies. It should be about increasing your chances not limiting them. Many positions are now going to less agencies than before so unless you are with the agent you will never hear of the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Thanks for the info. Incidentally, do you think recruitment agents pay much attention to cover letters these days?

Congrats on 2 job offers in todays market - good to hear some positive news!!

Thanks, unfortunately they were a couple of years ago, so I've battened down the hatches since!

While it wasn't ideal to have so many copies of my CV out there in the ether, it meant I had wider options. The worst thing that has happened to me is some phone calls about very irrelevant vacancies, but they take all of 30 seconds to get rid of.

Mairead1975 when I contact recruitment agencies I NEVER only phone or e-mail once. I'm a graphic designer and have ever only spoke with two recruitment consultants who actually understood what the role of a graphic designer is!!!

When this recession is over I think recruitment agencies will find it very hard to fill places they have. I for one will remember all the recruitment agencies who didn't phone or e-mail me back. I am shocked at the lack of professionalism by the vast majority of people I have contacted.

I have already reported one agency for advertising a position that didn't exist and I will do it again. If other also do this maybe we won't be wasting time and money applying for non existing jobs.

I dont think they do pay attention to cover letters. I dont think Ive ever read one. I think they are important when applying for graduate programmes, but not outside of that.

Im sure others will disagree!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Well if that's the case, then my suspicions are confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nicecupoftea

Mairead 1975, you seem pretty clued in when it comes to how good agencies should behave so I thought you might be able to advise on a scenario I'm in...

The agency person I'm dealing with cannot tell me what the contractor market rate is for the role that I'm thinking of going for through them.

Initially the hiring client wanted a permanent employee. After I expressed an interest in working this as a contract role, the agency person came back to saying he has checked that the client would be happy with a fixed rate contract given the right candidate.

The agency person can only give me an indication of what the permanent salary might be and not what I could expect as a daily rate other than to divide the permanent salary figure by working days in the year, which I'm guessing is not the correct way to establish contract rates considering the employer doesn't have to pay prsi, employee tax etc.

Should I be concerned about the lack of knowledge of the agency person with regards to contract salary expectations?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Hey, it is a bit odd they don't know the contract rate/salary for the position they are working on, especially if they know the permanent salary. You are generally looking for between 20-30% more then a permanent salary for a contract role, depending on how niche your area is etc. I wouldn't be pushing for the top scale in this market though.

eoin wrote: »
    By only going for jobs that are coming through agencies you have registered with, you must be cutting down your chances considerably. My last two interviews (offers made both times) have been from vacancies I applied to on irishjobs.ie, and both were with agencies I hadn't deal with before.

I agree with this. I have also just lined up two interviews through two different recruitment agencies that I had not dealt with before. I never even heard of one of the agencies. Maybe going with the top 3 or 4 was good when times were good but applicants can't be so fussy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

mood wrote: »
    I agree with this. I have also just lined up two interviews through two different recruitment agencies that I had not dealt with before. I never even heard of one of the agencies. Maybe going with the top 3 or 4 was good when times were good but applicants can't be so fussy now.

I agree with this, my firm is tiny but we exclusively recruit for one large company i.e. they use no one else.

What I would suggest is that you apply to every job you like BUT when/if contacted you clearly establish a) job will be open when you see consultant (not when your talking to them), b) that based on your CV they will put you forward for the job (unless the meeting raises a real problem) (this is where you have to honour your side of the bargain by turning up in a suit, being professional so recruiter will know how you will be at the client interview etc).

If they can't guaruntee you that you will be considered for the role by their client, then explain to them that you are being called to meetings where by the time they happen, the job somehow is gone. Any decent recruiter not on a target for interviews conducted per week will do you the courtesy of not wasting your time.

• Advertisement

Hi there

Just a few things on this - the key thing is that the company started out wanting this role to be a permanent one. I am guessing what is happening is that the company are considering taking you on a "fixed term contract" through their payroll rather than a fixed rate contract where you invoice them or the agency. Alot of the companies I dealt with over the years would approach me about a contract vacancy but they were generally on their payroll and the successful candidates were paid just like a normal employee either on our payroll ( if there was no headcount approval ) or on their payroll without the benefits.

From an employer perspective I dont think they would say they'd take on a contractor without a total analysis of the cost implication. They would need to take into account the significant cost implication of having an agency involved. The company obviously have headcount approval so Im not sure they would invest in the extra cost of a contractor ( eg at a 60K salary level a permanent fee to an agency would be circa 11,000 one off fee. If you were a contractor, over the period of a year that could be double between the agency fee ( agencies charge approx 22% compulsory charges & 28% admin / fee charges invoiced weekly or monthly ).....this is alot more work for the client and the recruiter, so Id say you would have to be distinctly better than permanent people for them to invest this money

Maybe the recruiter doesnt have a grasp of Contractors ( Limited Companies v's employees on their payroll and permanent employees.

Unless you are an IT Contractor, the likeliehood is they havent dealt with it that much.

The agency needs to go back and clarify with the client what payroll method they are considering

To be honest, if I were you, Id get in there, make the impression, show the hiring manager that you're worth the investment and go from there. I know you probably dont want to waste your time doing this, but if they are considering permanent people, the competition for this role is probably quite fierce.

I think this is just a fixed term contract which is paid just the same way as if you were a perm employee.

Not sure if Ive confused you more!!

Thanks
    Mairead
    http://www.careermentors.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

Should I be concerned about the lack of knowledge of the agency person with regards to contract salary expectations?

Yes, you should be concerned about the lack of knowledge of the agency recruiter.
    Make them work for their fee. They need to go back to their client and get more details... they cannot in fairness pursue things with you until they are able to tell you structure of the T&Cs... the actual fees may not be decided until offer stage when you and the employer can negotiate rates , but the agency should be able to give you some info and at least a ball park.

Sounds like the agency don't know what they are doing, and that they don't have a particularly close relationship with the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 i.D82

Hi All,

I am just wondering would anyone give me advice on how I could establish my recruitment business.

Although I am new to recruitment itself, I have numerous years experience in industry in the sector I hope to establish in.

My question is how I should go about establishing client relationships from scratch?

I know people are going to say I am mad, and with no experience I wont survive, however, I believe in what I am doing and have researched it well.

Any info on cold calling, how to identify contact and build relationships, what companies to call etc.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Hi i.D82

This thread is three years old.

You might be better off posting your question here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

^ wot he said

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement