Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astra Estate spare key general question

• 04-10-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Howdee,

So I got a 05 Vauxhall Astra estate and do a bit of watersports etc. It's an automatic key and so on, and the only lock is on the drivers door.
    My plan was to lock the main key into the car, and put the spare in my wetsuit pocket, but for some reason the spares only lock the driver door. Every other door stays open including the boot. Is this the norm? I would have thought that once I locked the driver door, the central locking would kick in and lock the rest of the doors. So I can't take the main key into the water with me, as it has a battery in it, or some sort of electronics?
    Do I have any alternatives bar hiding the key in the sand or something!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

seachto7 wrote: »
    Howdee,

So I got a 05 Vauxhall Astra estate and do a bit of watersports etc. It's an automatic key and so on, and the only lock is on the drivers door.
    My plan was to lock the main key into the car, and put the spare in my wetsuit pocket, but for some reason the spares only lock the driver door. Every other door stays open including the boot. Is this the norm? I would have thought that once I locked the driver door, the central locking would kick in and lock the rest of the doors. So I can't take the main key into the water with me, as it has a battery in it, or some sort of electronics?
    Do I have any alternatives bar hiding the key in the sand or something!

No chip in your spare key so it won't start the car or operate the central locking :/

Why not get a waterproof container, or if your stuck wrap it in a condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, looks like I'll have to get a waterproof holder. I wouldn't mind, I went away and spent 30€ getting a blank spare done. I think the other spare may just need a battery, as it has logos on it that would suggest "lock" and "unlock" but the buttons don't seem to work. I could see if it needs a battery and try that...???

maybe it's time for one of these:

http://www.waterproofcases.net/603.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

seachto7 wrote: »
    yeah, looks like I'll have to get a waterproof holder. I wouldn't mind, I went away and spent 30€ getting a blank spare done. I think the other spare may just need a battery, as it has logos on it that would suggest "lock" and "unlock" but the buttons don't seem to work. I could see if it needs a battery and try that...???

Could you lock the doors with the main key then open the drivers door with the spare key and throw the main key in the glovebox. Lock the drivers door with the spare and into the water with it.
    Then presto, locked doors and surf fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

kodute wrote: »
    Could you lock the doors with the main key then open the drivers door with the spare key and throw the main key in the glovebox. Lock the drivers door with the spare and into the water with it.
    Then presto, locked doors and surf fun. :)

I think I tried that and the alarm went off...I'll double check it though again..

Advertisement