Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lycra fashion advice for fixed gear tosser.

• 04-10-2009 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

OK so after riding around a lot this weekend in my jeans, a saddle sore at my left buttock cheek where it meets the top of my leg has reappeared. I'm starting to want to do longer distances, yesterday I did 50km (fixed) to Portrane and back (on top of the 20km in and back to home) and it was fine. I was a bit tired this morning but we also had pints on the ride and I had a couple more later on, so I'll blame that.

Anyway, lets get to the point... I'm nearing the mental state to invest in a serious road bike, and maybe move the recreational cycling up a gear (i.e. move the gearing beyond just the same one gear all the time, ho ho), so I guess I'm looking for advice on what sort of stuff I need to buy to cut down on the ass welts.

And if that involves crotch revealing lycra... well then so be it. I think I'm ready to swallow my pride, and lose my dignity. Its not like there's much of either there anyway.

So:
    Do the cycling shorts come in sizes?
    Do they come in white? I like the white cycling gear.
    Do they all have that nappy style padding around the ass and balls?
    Also, whats the buzz with the cycling jerseys?
    Do they make you sweat less or something? Why not just wear a t-shirt?
    How much should I be spending? Whats the price of a decent pair of shorts and a cycling jersey?

Also, the MTB-style SPD shoes, do any of them come in white?

Sorry if I sound like a 'Fred' (thats the codename you lot use for johnny-come-cycle-to-work-scheme-lately types who dont know the first thing about cycling apart from their mad expensive bike, do i have that right?) asking questions here, but I hope I've given enough help and answers to others in the past while that I can ask for help now myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

flickerx wrote: »
    Yep.
    Yep, but they are known to be a bit revealing if they get wet.
    Not all, but most do, it should mention it in the description..
    They are good for sweating, but also provided much needed storage space while on a spin.
    How much should I be spending? Whats the price of a decent pair of shorts and a cycling jersey?
    ~40 - 80 on each probably(though can go quite a bit higher), picking stuff up in sales when you can is a good way to go....
    Also, the MTB-style SPD shoes, do any of them come in white?
    Yep
    (thats the codename you lot use for johnny-come-cycle-to-work-scheme-lately types who dont know the first thing about cycling apart from their mad expensive bike, do i have that right?)
    Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

So:

It would be an amazing thing if El Tonto and I could fit into the same sized pair of shorts.

Yes, they come in white. This is not good for a few reasons: they show up dirt, they can become "transparent when wet" and they might show your man bush if you have one.

Yes, nappy padding or "chamois" is essential unless you want to be grafting new skin onto your ass every few weeks. Correctly arranging your "pickige" is an important euro skill too.

Cotton fibres absorb moisture and expand, becoming heavier. So your cotton t-shirt is going to get wet and weigh you down. Also, cycling jerseys MUST be race fit. If you wear a cycling jersey normally it will look like a tank top, but on the bike it looks much better.

You will still sweat, but the moisture will evaporate quicker and you won't look like a total Fred.

Decent price: DHB gear on wiggle, check out special offers on wiggle and CRC too, always discounted gear. Be sure to read the reviews for more information. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Assos is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

So:

Thanks

SO:

yes
    not usually though assos do whites ones (megabucks! €110+)
    a chamois, yes
    yes
    €80-100

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Shorts are a lot more important to get right than a jersey, to be honest just about any jersey is as good as any other, some of my best ones cost under a tenner in the sales. This is not so with shorts. Coming in to winter you probably should be looking at bib tights rather than shorts although you could go for shorts+leg warmers for more versatility. Regarding the jerseys, they are all generally made of polyester and with three pockets on the back and are considerably better at transporting sweat out than a cotton T-shirt.

Gears certainly have their uses but the saddle sores are more likely related to the choice of trouser, you should be able to do long distances fixed fine as long as you have decent padded shorts. Another thing to consider using if you are prone to saddle sores is chamois cream, I only need to use this for multi-day stage stuff myself but it does work very well at preventing them and many people use it even for just a single day's spin. The pros lather the stuff on I believe. Feels a bit funny the first time and not entirely pleasant but you get used to it; certainly better than a sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You start with the bike and work up.

Road bike, jeans, t-shirt = neat, flappy, flappy.
    Road bike, lycra shorts, t-shirt = neat, neat, flappy.
    Road bike, lycra shorts, jersey = neat, neat, neat.

Thus the full ensemble looks right, and anything else is just degrees of wrong.

Plus all the practical reasons listed, like your clothing not acting like a big sponge when you hit a downpour halfway through a four hour ride.

Go the whole hog and buy bib shorts - they fit much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Sorry flickerx I just HAVE TO:

1/ 'muhahahaha'
    2/ 'told you so'

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I don't think I'd wear white shorts coming into winter (if ever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Flickerx.

Welcome. You have much to learn, but no time like the present to begin. I was once like you (cyclin in jeans), now I have more cycling apparel thn a small LBS.

Your mention of white shorts has me thinkin that while you would consider lycra, you would like that cuttin ede look. Nothin at all wron with that. It is to be admired quiet frankly.
    While white does not really suit our weather, you could try blue lycra shorts. I have 2 pairs and absolutely love the colour. So much more appealing than black.
    Would love to wear red, but haven't found the right pair yet.

Would concur with aforementioned commentary re shorts. They are the most important item of clothing from comfort point of view.

As a fixie rider, maybe you should consider Rapha's fixie shorts. They are knee length trousers with padding.

ROK ON wrote: »
    you could try blue lycra shorts. I have 2 pairs and absolutely love the colour. So much more appealing than black.
    Would love to wear red, but haven't found the right pair yet.

El Tonto has some red Assos ones. When I first saw them last winter I was new to this roadie fashion stuff, and thought them a surprising choice. They now seem a bit conventional.

I think I've been "normed". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I recently picked up a cheap enough pair in Halfrauds, I notice it's a little easier to go that little bit further than before, aswell as a more comfy ride.

I went with the usual tight fitting, but I was tempted by a non-fredish pair too, were baggy camo shorts, with padding. I didn't like the idea of having to try adjust the padding constantly, so got shorts to go under shorts.. My brother was going on about getting a gel saddle, but I much prefer a stiff saddle, with padding on the shorts as opposed to the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

For out and about on the fixie, I'd definitely get these shorts -they're cut for cycling, so have no seams around the crotch to rub and give you ouchies -I wear them 90% of the time, on and off the bike, and they're the mutts nuts. (also, are more comfy than the Rapha ones -I have both!)

I'm also going to get a pair of their jeans for the winter, as it's the same scenario -cut for wearing on a bike, but look good off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Thanks for all the information on making myself into a road bike geek. I've bookmarked this thread so whenever some money starts coming my way (soon, soon, I hope), I'll come back into it, and start accessorising myself up to the boards.ie standard. I imagine I'll probably have a few more questions to ask. I might even begin to understand what this 'euro' thing you are always on about actually is.

Point taken on the white shorts getting wet revealing a little too much of the plumage. I have dark thick black hair so it would be fairly standoutish in damp white material. I'd already be self conscious enough with the meat and potatoes being quite visible/protruding.

And yes Caroline, I half expected you or niceonetom to pipe up and told me that you were right all along. But the lycra I think will only be for the longer spins. I cant imagine myself showing up for a few midweek pints at the Bernard Shaw, Anseo, or whatever the coolest fixed gear hangout is this week, in full on luminous green cycling wear, banana shaped road shoes, and a teardrop helmet, pumped full of EPO.

Point taken on the white shorts getting wet revealing a little too much of the plumage. I have dark thick black hair so it would be fairly standoutish in damp white material. I'd already be self conscious enough with the meat and potatoes being quite visible/protruding.

Too Much Information. Particularly over lunch.

However, I believe that it's possible to mitigate the plumage display with an appropriately complete shaving protocol.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    El Tonto has some red Assos ones.

No I don't

el tonto wrote: »
    No I don't

That's very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

For out and about on the fixie, I'd definitely get these shorts -they're cut for cycling, so have no seams around the crotch to rub and give you ouchies -I wear them 90% of the time, on and off the bike, and they're the mutts nuts. (also, are more comfy than the Rapha ones -I have both!)

I'm also going to get a pair of their jeans for the winter, as it's the same scenario -cut for wearing on a bike, but look good off it.

+1 on the swrve shorts.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's very worrying.
    I have some ....

.... but as I have never met you, it's probably not them you are thinking of:)

Beasty wrote: »
    I have some .... but as I have never met you, it's probably not them you are thinking of:)

How do you find them? I tried some on in CSS, but didn't feel brave enough to take the plunge.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How do you find them? I tried some on in CSS, but didn't feel brave enough to take the plunge.
    They are the F1 Uno Mille S5. They are identical in terms of feel and comfort to the black, and I suspect I would struggle to find any other brand that are so comfortable.

I have never had any issues. I tend to wear the black more than the red, but that's more to do with the fact they go with more of my tops. The red ones were my first foray away from black, and I feel entirely at home in them. They also go very well with all the rest of my "red Assos wardrobe".

I also have a yellow pair, although the yellow panels (which, unlike the red, is just down the outside) feels a bit skimpier than the black and red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Flicker - I'm pleased you're taking the plunge. Now you should really think about buying a roadbike - you might find this article educational.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    Flicker - I'm pleased you're taking the plunge. Now you should really think about buying a roadbike - you might find this article educational.

I think my head just exploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

He had me until this:
    Even though I regularly wear womens’ trousers, have long hair, and idolize gender-bending rock bands like Slade and Roxy Music, I refuse to shave my legs!
    But then:
    (may be NSFW, or confuse others about your sexual orientation)
    Even though I said I never would, I shaved my legs last night.
    I feel less conflicted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The Swrve Jeans look quiet good too.

If you turn up the leg of the jeans there's a reflective bit on the inside that is on display now...

80 sterling? Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

80 sterling? Christ.

Worth every penny if their shorts are anything to go by

(big deep breath) So, after grinding my balls into dust at the velodrome (sorry Caroline what you gave me was too small) while wearing tracksuit pants, a return visit necessitated a proper kitting out. There happened to be a cycling market thing on in a big space like the RDS when I was there, with gear and bikes discounted heavily, so I picked up some stuff.

Tom, Caroline, Blorg, Lumen, etc - I hope you're proud of what you've done.

107399.jpg

Really wish I'd sucked in that winter gut a bit.

Also, the 'club 2000' thing is from a charity race that a friend did, she raised two grand, so its not some meaningless naff slogan on the side.

I tried to fit in a good bit of white. The jacket is half on.

Can I be in your gang now? I still dont have a road bike.
    Soon though, I promise.

Looking good flickerx, you need a head though.

Mavic shoes I see, very Euro, labels still on, are you keeping them? They are too narrow for me otherwise I would have them.

Grasping your package is not euro, at all.

Still, the overall look is quite convincing. Is that a jersey or a rash vest? I see no zip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    In honour of Michael Jackson RIP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

Yay, now im not the only person on Dfgss with lycra haha.
    Have to bring you out on a spin soon to test it out.
    I would lend you my roadbike but im not sure your legs would quite stretch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

steinone wrote: »
    Yay, now im not the only person on Dfgss with lycra haha.

don't worry i think there's a silent group of us lycra louts over there.

@flickerx- Are they tri shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tn_Fusion_Power.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looking good. I likes those Mavic shoes. I'll give it 9/10, with one point deducted for the hairy legs.

That jacket looks awesome. Behold the whiteness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

el tonto wrote: »
    Looking good. I likes those Mavic shoes. I'll give it 9/10, with one point deducted for the hairy legs.

They re the Mavics TRI shoes ... it was almost right ... Oh the things you need to lean Flickerx.

Tonto ... I am also questioning your eurobility now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well done Flicker! I know this has been a bit of a hurdle for you.

We'll gloss over any minor faux-pas (tri shoes, short socks etc.) - that stuff is a hell of a lot better than the first lycra I ever bought. You've omitted your head. It it safe to assume you've progressed away from the bowling ball helmet? Got a pair of devastatingly stylin' shades yet?

It never ends btw. Lycra is worse than crack cocaine.

Have you gone for a spin in the new stuff yet? Has it all begun to make sense? The comfort? The way you slide through the air without all that flapping? The crippling self consciousness while stopped at certain traffic lights?

ONE OF US!
    ONE OF US!
    ONE OF US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

They re the Mavics TRI shoes ... it was almost right ... Oh the things you need to lean Flickerx.

Never realised shoes were that expensive.

How did the trip go Flickerx? Any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

You'll feel odd until you're surrounded by loads of people like us. Then you'll all feel odd when one person wearing normal-person-clothes starts talking to you in a cafe in Laragh and sneaks inappropriate glances at nether regions, indiscriminately, male or female. Bloody perv...

Also, the swrve jeans are the business, but cut slightly larger than most jeans. Mine came a touch too long, and I really don't know how I feel about bringing them to a tailors to get 1"(that 2.6cm, my Euro compadres) of the reflective lining removed... It was the best present my girlfriend ever got me, swrve jeans and matching swrve cotton t-shirt, perfect for when I'm in city hipster mode. All I need now is an old road bike to convert to fixed, instead of using my badly painted mtb with a 700c fixed rear wheel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

In fairness, that's a far sight better than probably most people on here's first lycra outing, certainly better than mine.

Oh, and I can recommend a very friendly waxing salon.

Never realised shoes were that expensive.
    42962-2.Jpg

10% off at the moment

• Advertisement

My first jersey didn't even have pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I suspect flickerx is trying to hide something - perhaps his excitement at wearing all that tight fitting lycra ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

blorg wrote: »
    42962-2.Jpg

10% off at the moment

Trying to think of an outfit they'd go with

Trying to think of an outfit they'd go with

chicken_suit_costume.jpg

My shoes, stay away, I called them first!

My shoes, stay away, I called them first!

Yellow and blue is a great combination, go for it.

I'm sure you won't look anything like a triathlete who's peed on his shoes.

Yellow and blue is a great combination, go for it.

I'm sure you won't look anything like a triathlete who's peed on his shoes.

I was going to buy the mavic overshoes as a cheap substitute until I get them. Those shoes are awesome, how can you not think that? As El Tonto said last year "yellow is the new white". Plus I need a carbon sole, it's holding me back...big time!

I was going to buy the mavic overshoes as a cheap substitute until I get them. Those shoes are awesome, how can you not think that?

I'm reserving judgement until I see them on. I think they'll need long white socks for a bit of contrast.

I'm reserving judgement until I see them on. I think they'll need long white socks for a bit of contrast.

Pink socks would look better, like a candy bar while also subtly hinting (like Alberto) at my tour/giro wins.

48837.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement