Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paint Can Pinhole

• 05-10-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

www.paintcancamera.com

I was lookin at these thinking "Wow, I want one, how much?", and couldn't find a price. Took me a minute to realise why would I buy one when I can make one.

Now my question is, for the hole, where could I get that done? To be .5mm, or as close as possible? Any ideas where or who could do that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

What you could do it cut out a large hole in the can, then take some aluminum from a coke can sand it down on each side and use a needle to make as accurate and smooth a hole as you can. Then attach it over the large hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

that could work actually yah, nice idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    www.paintcancamera.com

I was lookin at these thinking "Wow, I want one, how much?", and couldn't find a price. Took me a minute to realise why would I buy one when I can make one.

Now my question is, for the hole, where could I get that done? To be .5mm, or as close as possible? Any ideas where or who could do that?

If you're exposing onto something as large as a sheet of photo paper then it doesn't have to be too small. Like everything else, you can get as technical with this stuff as you like :D Image quality wise, pinholes are a tradeoff between too large which results in a blurry image, and too small which results in excessive diffraction and a soft image. The second bit can be solved to some extent by exposing onto as large a piece of film or paper you can find for a given pinhole size. This is why 35mm pinholes generally look a bit crummy.

There's actually an optimum pinhole size for a given focal length to minimize the above. IE its the ideal balance of softness due to diffraction and softness due to the size of the pinhole. Its format agnostic, hence the admonition above to use as large a format as possible. In this respect something like an 8x10 in a paint can is ideal.

Here's a calculator that calculates the ideal pinhole size given a particular focal length:

http://www.mrpinhole.com/holesize.php

Some other good resources and examples there aswell.

Advertisement