Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steve Staunton to return to management?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I hope they're prepared for the conference

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

At least it's a better level to go into this time, best of luck to him

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I'd say most chairmans LOL when they see he has applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope it works out for him. He's become somewhat of a laughing stock to many fans as a result of his spell as Irish manager but I think that's a shame when you consider the immense contribution he made as a player.

Looking back on things, I'm more annoyed at the FAI for giving him the job rather than him for taking it and not being up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Better for him to work his way up. International management was too much of a leap with his lack of experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I hope it works out for him. He's become somewhat of a laughing stock to many fans as a result of his spell as Irish manager but I think that's a shame when you consider the immense contribution he made as a player.

Looking back on things, I'm more annoyed at the FAI for giving him the job rather than him for taking it and not being up to it.

I agree BUT he was shambolic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

The internet. Where anyone can make up a story about someone and it becomes true.:rolleyes: Crap manager great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Delighted for Stan. Darlington have 2 points from 11 so things can't get any worse with Stan coming in. Was out of his depth at International level but will have learned from the experience.
    The Leeds Utd story sounds like a complete load of crap.
    Glad to see most people posting here are quite supportive of Stan. Sometimes the strong commited contribution Stan gave to Ireland is ignorantly forgotten.
    The guy has a chance to redeem himself now. He was often written off as a player only to come back and become Ireland's best player at the 2002 World Cup in the twlight of his career.
    Hears hoping he can do it as a manager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

And he was defensive coach at Leeds during the period tha we couldn't buy a clean sheet. He is an absolutely atrocious manager and coach, one of the worst I have seen.

Brilliant footballer and an Irish playing legend but woeful at the non-playing side of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The Hustler will be taking an extended break from the forum. Keep your posts civil folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Libelous comments removed.

Please do not post comments unles you have a reliable source to link to backing them up.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Confirmation this morning, he's been given until the end of the season

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11750_5608875,00.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Good luck to the guy i say.
    I sincerely hope he makes the most of what seems a temporary position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They're getting relegated

FACHT

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Best of luck Steven. Would love to see him do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The chairman of a couple of years ago was enthusiastic and hamstrung the club by building a stadium way in excess of what the local support could muster. Their old ground was a dump, but one that could generate a bit of atmosphere, the new ground has no atmosphere at all.

Its an horrendous league to get out of, or in Darlington's case, stay in. The saving grace for da gaffa is there are a lot of under-performing teams in the bottom half of the league, Torquay are having a miserable return to the football league and Accrington Stanley may still go out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dave! wrote: »
    They're getting relegated

FACHT

It looked like that was happening anyway, so Stan can use this to get vital experience and maybe the Darlington players will react to one of the most well respected left sided players to play in England in the last quarter century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

BUMP

Sacked this morning

http://www.darlington-fc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10339~2000768,00.html
    QUAKERS PART COMPANY WITH STAUNTON
    Posted on: Sun 21 Mar 2010

By Martin Walker

Darlington have today parted company with manager Steve Staunton.

The club have relieved Staunton of his duties following yesterday's 2-1 defeat at home to Barnet in front of a record low 1,463 at the Northern Echo Arena.

Darlington are marooned at the foot of the League Two table, 19 points adrift of safety with 12 games to go.

Staunton managed four wins in 23 league games for Darlington, losing 17 and drawing two.

Raj Singh, Darlington's chairman, said: "It's with regret that we're having to part company with another manager during what's been a forgetful season for us, but we felt we were left with no alternative after yesterday.

"It was a disappointing performance and result, but the most disappointing side to yesterday was the attendance - a record low crowd told us a lot.

"We desperately wanted things to work out for Steve but it clearly wasn't to be and we'll have to take stock again. Our search for a new manager starts straight away."

Darlington are likely to put Craig Liddle and Neil Maddison in temporary charge until a permanent appointment is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Seem to remember they were vaguely fecked when he took over the job in the first place.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for Staunton tbh.

He was a fantastic player for Ireland and Liverpool/Villa but in Ireland he'll be forever tarnished by some as a horrendous manager (which he was!)

The FAI were to blame for giving a guy with zero experience the top job.
    It's ridiculous when you think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Great Player.

Leeds- Useless.

Ireland- Stubborn and Atrocious.

Darlington- Well 4 wins in 23?

He needs to take serious stock. Go back and learn to do the job properly apprenticed to a decent manager. Look at how many of Sir Alex's castaways have done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This was a bit of a crazy job to try to rebuild your reputation. He had very little chance of success.

Great Player.

Leeds- Useless.

Ireland- Stubborn and Atrocious.

Darlington- Well 4 wins in 23?

He needs to take serious stock. Go back and learn to do the job properly apprenticed to a decent manager. Look at how many of Sir Alex's castaways have done well.

I'm not sure he will ever cut it as manager tbh.

He should look at a different career path.

Please do not choose football commentary Steve.

I bet he gets a job as a pundit/ commentater with TV3/3e though. :(

They seem to pick the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Should open up a pub before the savings run out, that's probably the only way he'll ever become a successful manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Thought he was the man to bring them straight back up to be honest, adopted a good policy of bringing in top free players from Ireland, a number of whom (Purcell especially) were responsible for the slight change in fortunes. Can only imagine he would have built on that.

No manager should ever be given less than a season unless they've done something which endangers the long-term future success of the club, ie. 1 of the big 4 looking like not qualifying for the CL, a team like Villa, Everton or Spurs looking like getting relegated etc. It seemed obvious when Staunton came in that Darlington were going down no matter what, so it made sense to let him rebuild towards next season and he had definitely done a good job of that.

Modern chairmen are the devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

CSF wrote: »
    Thought he was the man to bring them straight back up to be honest, adopted a good policy of bringing in top free players from Ireland, a number of whom (Purcell especially) were responsible for the slight change in fortunes. Can only imagine he would have built on that.

No manager should ever be given less than a season unless they've done something which endangers the long-term future success of the club, ie. 1 of the big 4 looking like not qualifying for the CL, a team like Villa, Everton or Spurs looking like getting relegated etc. It seemed obvious when Staunton came in that Darlington were going down no matter what, so it made sense to let him rebuild towards next season and he had definitely done a good job of that.

19 defeats in 25 games tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

CSF wrote: »

Ah come one, attendances were in decline. No chairman in his right mind should let that go unchecked. It's one thing to be doing poorly on the pitch, but if that coincides with doing poorly off it then changes have to be made. What if attendances continued to decline? Fast track route towards administration tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure he will ever cut it as manager tbh.

He should look at a different career path.

Please do not choose football commentary Steve.

I bet he gets a job as a pundit/ commentater with TV3/3e though. :(

They seem to pick the worst.

Perhaps he might try his hand at FAI spokesman.....

• Advertisement

Always kept an eye out for their results, seemed to be pretty much constantly losing

Don't know enough about the squad or the division to pass any informed comment, but that record of 4 in 25 (or whatever) says a lot....

Agree that he needs to reflect, and maybe the best thing for him (if not us) is to follow the Lawro route from failed manager into sub-standard punditry

Ah come one, attendances were in decline. No chairman in his right mind should let that go unchecked. It's one thing to be doing poorly on the pitch, but if that coincides with doing poorly off it then changes have to be made. What if attendances continued to decline? Fast track route towards administration tbh.
    The team were doomed to relegation, probably even before Staunton came along, of course attendances were going to be in decline, there was nothing to play for. Staunton's results were better than his predecessors like. He signed players who have made a real difference.

19 defeats in 25 games tho
    Not a win in the league before Staunton came like. 2 points from their first 11 games. He was given duds to work with, and did a decent job in leaving his own stamp on it, but obviously needed a full pre-season to really build a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Feel so bad..Most people will just remember his management carrer now and not his brilliant one as a player

Soby wrote: »
    Feel so bad..Most people will just remember his management carrer now and not his brilliant one as a player

Give it time and the management career will recede in peoples memories.

For example Liam Brady had a pretty bad tenure in management, but nobody has forgotten his illustrious playing career at Arsenal, Juve etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think its time for Stan to call it day on management.

Just not good enough for it. Good servant to Ireland can never be taken away from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Whatever about calling a day on the whole career path, he should definatey take a step back and take an assistant job somewhere.

In no other industry do you step straight into the managers position with minimal experience. He has a few short spells as assistant with Leeds and Walsall but the majority of his time in coaching has been as the main man, which makes absolutely no sense. What he needs is a few solid years in the backroom staff before he even attempts taking over a team again. He needs to learn before he can teach. He has plenty of playing experience but thats only one small facet of being a club manager and there is so much he's probably been muddling by on without experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I thought Stan was shíte as Ireland boss, but afaik this was totally different. Club was in a mess beyond anyone's capabilities really.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

I thought Stan was shíte as Ireland boss, but afaik this was totally different. Club was in a mess beyond anyone's capabilities really.

dont forget he only took the job because he had Sir Bobby Robson as his mentor but as we all know he got very ill and Stan was alone. ( shouldent have took the job though in the first place or have been offered it imo )

Way too early to write him off, he should take the next league job he can get and try rebuild himself. People are way too harsh on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

now he can join brian kerr over in the faroe islands :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Wonder will he apply for the u-21 job? After all he is more experienced now than when he was given the top job by Delaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

dixiefly wrote: »
    Wonder will he apply for the u-21 job? After all he is more experienced now than when he was given the top job by Delaney.

So replace one s.hite manager in Givens with another one in Staunton?

God I hope not.

Advertisement