Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No oven and no grill!

Options
  • 05-10-2009 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I'm in Australia at the moment and we're not allowed use the oven or grill. All we've got is the electric hob and a microwave :( So far we've had pasta, pasta, fajitas and sausages. The only other things I can think of are rissotto and maybe soup, fish, burgers and maybe pasta.

Any ideas? Are we just not being creative enough? Oh yeah, and we're on a tight budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chili, curry, stir fries, umpteen different sauces with boiled rice, buy a cast iron griddle pan (you can get non-branded ones very cheaply indeed) and you can do your steaks, chops etc on it and have with potatoes and veg if you so wish. Pan fry fish or chicken breasts (slice in half if too thick to cook) and have with salad and bread. Lots of options - what do you like to eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Chili, curry, stir fries, umpteen different sauces with boiled rice, buy a cast iron griddle pan (you can get non-branded ones very cheaply indeed) and you can do your steaks, chops etc on it and have with potatoes and veg if you so wish. Pan fry fish or chicken breasts (slice in half if too thick to cook) and have with salad and bread. Lots of options - what do you like to eat?

I like most things but am not a huge fan of rice (I'll eat it, but not more than once or twice a week). I suppose there are a lot of things we can do. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Stir fries will be your friend. Use noodles if you don't like rice. Also, maybe you could invest in a slow cooker/crockpot? You can roast chickens in them and they're great for stews etc if you don't have an oven to put one in. I got a new one in a sale the other day for $36. I made the most beautiful beer and beef stew the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're missing things you'd normally do in the oven, like chips for instance, boil extra potatoes one night and the following night, cut the cold spuds into slices and shallow fry in a pan with a tiny bit of oil. They'd be great with a poached egg or two for a really simple evening meal.

I also love fried potatoes with a little paprika - make up a tomato salsa in a second pan (fry some onion, chopped tomato and perhaps some chopped chili) and dip the potatoes in the salsa. Nyom.

Tonight, in a pan, I cooked up some lamb mince with a finely chopped onion, some pine nuts, a couple of chopped tomatoes, some chopped dried apricots and seasoned with salt and pepper, cumin, tumeric and cinnamon. I put the sticky, hot result in a lebanese flat bread, along with some skinned red pepper (can do it in a pan), humous, yoghurt, chili sauce and a handful of leaves. Took about 15 mins start to finish, including whizzing up the humous from scratch in the blender, and it tasted GOOD.

Advertisement