Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Hypo's

• 05-10-2009 7:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

From the BBc website link here:-

Hidden 'hypo' diabetes warning

Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes
    People with diabetes are suffering needlessly from regular low blood sugar attacks, a survey suggests.

Among 2,000 people with type 2 diabetes, half had experienced symptoms of a hypoglycaemic episode in the past two weeks, the study found.

GPs said increasing pressure to tightly control patients' blood pressure was partly to blame for the problem.

Diabetes UK, which commissioned the survey, said it suggested many patients may not be on the right medication.

The number of people diagnosed with diabetes in the UK has increased by more than 145,000 in the last year, bringing the total figure to 2.6 million, the latest figures show.

A key part of treatment is to make sure blood sugar levels do not get too high, because this can lead to severe complications in the long term.

We want to see hypos become the exception rather than the rule

Simon O'Neill, Diabetes UK
    But on the other hand, very low blood sugar is also dangerous.

One type of commonly used drug in type 2 diabetes - sulphonylureas - can lead to hypoglycaemia, experts said.

The latest survey focused on mild or moderate attacks, which often come with warning signs such as feeling shaky, sweating, tingling in the lips, going pale, heart pounding, confusion and irritability.

More than half of those questioned said mild to moderate "hypos" affected their quality of life and one in 10 reported having to take at least one day off work in the last year as a result of a mild to moderate attack.

One third reported that mild to moderate hypoglycaemic attacks affected their ability to carry out day-to-day tasks, including housework, social activities, sports activities and sleep.

Impact

Causes of a hypoglycaemic attack include taking too much diabetes medication, delayed or missed meals or snacks, not eating enough carbohydrate, doing more exercise than usual and drinking alcohol without food.

People having regular attacks may stop having warning signs and pass out without realising anything is wrong.

Those taking part in the research were not taking insulin, which can also cause hypoglycaemia.

Simon O'Neill, Diabetes UK Director of Care, Information and Advocacy, said: "We want to see hypos become the exception rather than the rule."

Dr Brian Karet, a GP in Bradford and a medical advisor for Diabetes UK, said the figures in the survey seemed high but he agreed there was a lot of hidden hypoglycaemia.

"It is a lot more common than is often recognised especially these days when we are encouraged to put people on multiple medications.

"The modern sulphonylureas are actually quite powerful and if they are prescribed along with other drugs this is going to be an increasing problem."

He said anyone having regular symptoms should get checked out and they might need better advice on managing their condition, or they might need a lower dose of medicine.

Professor Mike Pringle, a GP in Nottinghamshire, and an advisor on the original National Service Framework for Diabetes, said the findings were "surprising".

"If they are confirmed it does suggest we may be overtreating these people.

"They are obviously learning how to manage their symptoms, but it is not intended they have these symptoms.

"There is a balance we need to strike and we need to better understand this information."

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for that- its very interesting.
    In future- if posting articles- please include a link to the original address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Ooops ok thanks

colrow wrote: »
    Ooops ok thanks

No probs- I've put the link in for you.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

happens to me a fair bit when I'm asleep, I must say. The first I realise is when i wake up in a soaking (sweat!!!) bed :(

tbh wrote: »
    happens to me a fair bit when I'm asleep, I must say. The first I realise is when i wake up in a soaking (sweat!!!) bed :(

Ditto over here. One thing I've noticed- is skin conductivity increases exponentially as blood sugar levels fall- so you can get an idea of someone's blood sugar if you're good at measuring conductivity. The wife hates when I'm right and she hasn't picked it up yet........

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ditto over here. One thing I've noticed- is skin conductivity increases exponentially as blood sugar levels fall- so you can get an idea of someone's blood sugar if you're good at measuring conductivity. The wife hates when I'm right and she hasn't picked it up yet........

I'm intrigued! how do you do that?

I'm intrigued! how do you do that?

Literally by touch- same way you can tell different metals apart by touch- it gets annoying when you get electric shocks from copper things (and don't even get me started about the dairy isle in any supermarket.........)

Literally by touch- same way you can tell different metals apart by touch- it gets annoying when you get electric shocks from copper things (and don't even get me started about the dairy isle in any supermarket.........)

hahaha, that's really weird! good weird tho. i wonder could it have a money making application? :D

hahaha, that's really weird! good weird tho. i wonder could it have a money making application? :D

Only if I can clone myself :D
    One of me is enough for this world, believe you me!

Seriously though- I think that if someone does a study they will find that what I'm saying is accurate- conductivity increases exponentially with a lowering of bs levels- an inverse correlation. Have to do a search in the med cabs and see if I come with anything...... Now you've got me started! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think I remember a similar thing with dogs...not that my wonderful husband is a dog...he does know though.

Seriously though- I think that if someone does a study they will find that what I'm saying is accurate- conductivity increases exponentially with a lowering of bs levels- an inverse correlation. Have to do a search in the med cabs and see if I come with anything...... Now you've got me started! :)

I don't doubt you for a second. For example (and sorry for taking this slightly off topic) I'm a firm believer that my bloods behave themselves until I start watching them. For example, I could test, any time of day or night, once every six days and it'll be 4.5 - 6.5

Start testing regularly, and it's always WAY above. I'm serious!

I don't doubt you for a second. For example (and sorry for taking this slightly off topic) I'm a firm believer that my bloods behave themselves until I start watching them. For example, I could test, any time of day or night, once every six days and it'll be 4.5 - 6.5

Start testing regularly, and it's always WAY above. I'm serious!
    If you get stressed they will rise...well at least they do with me!

I've tried cutting out most of the bad carbs for the past 2 months and my hba1c has gone down from 6.7 to 6.5, i was hoping it would be more, and I find if I don't have some protein before going to bed, I wake up after a couple of hours, with my heart pounding, and if i lie there wishing it away, i develope feelings of nausea then start to sweat and feel really yucky, then it dawns on me i'm heading for a hypo, so i down some oats and sugar and it takes about 20 mins for me to feel normal again.

colrow wrote: »
    I've tried cutting out most of the bad carbs for the past 2 months and my hba1c has gone down from 6.7 to 6.5, i was hoping it would be more, and I find if I don't have some protein before going to bed, I wake up after a couple of hours, with my heart pounding, and if i lie there wishing it away, i develope feelings of nausea then start to sweat and feel really yucky, then it dawns on me i'm heading for a hypo, so i down some oats and sugar and it takes about 20 mins for me to feel normal again.

Surely the answer to this is a small portion of complex carbs before bed? Strictly speaking you can break down proteins to their constituent carbohydrates- but it would put your metabolism into overdrive- just when you want to go to sleep. Perhaps it might be time to do a little experimenting?

Thanks for that info, i'll do some investigating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I had visions of smccarrick lying in bed with a multimeter permanently monitoring the wife and wondered how he survived. I'm sure someone poking me with multimeter probes during my sleep would result in someone getting a black eye whatever my blood sugar levels were. :D:D

I think there is some kind of continuous monitor though that works without breaking he skin and may use same method as smccarrick for doing so. Does not actually figure out the sugar level itself though, just changes up or down after being calibrated to a known level of the actual blood sugar.

I have actually had the continuous monitor for over a day on loan, it is big and bulky though and it gives readings when you connenct ity to the computer...all he does is hug me in my sleep, it is not that bad.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    you connenct ity to the computer...all he does is hug me in my sleep, .

I want one !!!! but I'd have to modify it to being a she :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8310297.stm

Pre-diabetes 'timebomb' warning

Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes
    An estimated seven million people in the UK have early warning signs of diabetes, a charity has warned.

People with pre-diabetes have higher than normal blood sugar levels and a 12 times increased risk of developing full-blown type 2 diabetes.

Diabetes UK called pre-diabetes, which can cause long-term damage but is reversible with exercise, weight loss and healthy diet, a "ticking timebomb".

A total of 2.6 million people in the UK have diabetes, the latest figures show.

Also known as impaired glucose regulation, pre-diabetes tends to occur in people who are overweight or obese and most people have a family history of diabetes or also have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

Diabetes UK said recent research had shown pre-diabetes could cause long-term damage to the body, especially the heart and circulation, even before full-blown diabetes develops.

People in general need to realise that small increases in their weight lead to big problems in the future

Dr Brian Karet
    But although doctors view the condition as an early warning sign of diabetes it is not a foregone conclusion and the risk can be cut by 60% by losing weight, eating a healthy balanced diet and doing more exercise, the charity said.

Recent figures show that more than 145,000 new cases of mainly type 2 diabetes were diagnosed in the past year.

In April this year, the government launched a programme of health checks for people aged between 40 and 79 who are not already diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease or have had a stroke.

The screening is designed to pick up risk factors for the diseases such as being overweight and high blood pressure.

'Staggering'

Diabetes UK chief executive, Douglas Smallwood, said pre-diabetes was a "ticking timebomb".

"It's staggering that nine million people in the UK have pre-diabetes, which is often a precursor to type 2 diabetes, a serious condition which can lead to long-term complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, amputation and blindness.

THOSE AT RISK
    Anyone who is white and over 40 or black or South Asian and over 25 with the following risk factors:
    Close relative with type 2 diabetes
    Overweight or waist size over 31.5 inches for women; 37 inches for men, or 35 inches or over for South Asian men
    High blood pressure or previous heart attack or stroke
    Polycystic ovary syndrome or previous gestational diabetes in women
    Severe mental health problems
    "Identifying and educating people with pre-diabetes is vital as it's not too late for many to make healthy lifestyle changes, reverse the condition completely and reduce their risk of developing type 2 diabetes."

Dr Brian Karet, a Bradford GP and diabetes spokesman for the Royal College of GPs, said the idea of pre-diabetes was not a new one but one with which the general public might not be familiar.

"People in general need to realise that small increases in their weight lead to big problems in the future.

"Small improvements in diet and small increases in exercise will pay dividends."

A spokesman for the Department of Health said it was on track to deliver one million health checks this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement