Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broke down in Cork, lives in Waterford

• 05-10-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

My mates older VW camper stopped changing gears in Bandon, he managed to get to Cork city but now it needs to get to Waterford to it's usual mechanic. The AA cover has lapsed and he is trying to avoid the huge cost of putting it on a low loader. Any ideas? The name of a great and not too dear mechanic in Cork might help, though he'd prefer to get it home. Ta for any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't know if it's allowed, but could he join the AA now, and then call them 30 minutes later? Or is it like health insurance where they won't cover "pre-existing conditions" ?

Tell him check his insurance as well - some of them include breakdown assistance/recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Does he know anyone else with AA. You can call them out for any car not just the one you have regged with them and I have never had to show my card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I think that with AA you have to be a member for 24h,

before you can call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can he get it to Advanced? They can fix it for now, usually not much waiting time (because they aren't the cheapest) and then the other mechanic can check it out once he's back in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's a very good chance that he has roadside assistance on his car insurance. Lots of people have it and don't realise...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Did he check the gearbox for oil? might be a simple fix.
    Maybe loose gear linkage.
    Could be worth his while checking those things first.

a strong rope and nerves of steel could also work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

My mate's camper is now safely at his local mechanic, and he asked me to post a thanks to everyone who replied. I had reminded him that his insurance might have breakdown cover and sure enough Axa were able to get him towed 50 miles for free. He had to stump up anothe 50 bucks to get it the rest of the way but he's well pleased.

Advertisement