Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the future of 495 million people in one man's hand

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lisbon-treaty/all-eyes-now-turn-to-the-czech-president-1904209.html

i like the picture in the article :p

so the future of 495 million people depends on one man :eek:

and seems hes a communist? :D EUSSR ftw!

what do yee think? is he holding out for UK or is he trying to get some sort of a deal for his country?

oh and does the word "elite" come to mind

?

Not sure if he has a plan to be honest.

If there was any, it seemed to be wait until the Irish referendum and if it looks like a yes then refer a new consitiutional chellange to the courts and hope it drags out for 7-8 months.

The Czech court have already said that it should take no more than 3-4 weeks to consider, as the main parts of the treaty have already been covered last year in a previous judgement.

It is rumoured that further delaying in the event of the all clear from the court, will probably result in impeachment proceedings being brought against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Prague usually gives in relatively quickly. Just threaten mass bombing and I'm sure he'll sign. Well, the Irish only had to be threatened with economic isolation to 'change their minds'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Prague usually gives in relatively quickly. Just threaten mass bombing and I'm sure he'll sign. Well, the Irish only had to be threatened with economic isolation to 'change their minds'.

spoken like a true neocon ;)

Ganley's friend @ General Myers made a good job of Iraq alright....

its nice to see mr G scheming with Klaus now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

spoken like a true neocon ;)

Ganley's friend @ General Myers made a good job of Iraq alright....

its nice to see mr G scheming with Klaus now...

You are comparing Klaus to Saddam Husein?

Actually - you aren't doing anything; just a bit of an anti-US Foreign Policy rant. We'll I'm sure Ganley has friends in the ex-US administration. Besides, which, in terms of a 'good job' there is tenuous democracy in Iraq at the moment (although the cost was too high to create such an unstable set-up, without war having already been brought to America or her allies - as was the case with Afghanistan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lisbon-treaty/all-eyes-now-turn-to-the-czech-president-1904209.html

what do yee think? is he holding out for UK or is he trying to get some sort of a deal for his country?

?

A lot of headbangers could have said the same about the Irish Govt being beholden to a pesky referendum.

As pointed out repeatedly on here during the "Yes to Jobs" campaign, it isn't correct to interfere in another country's political process.

• Advertisement

gambiaman wrote: »
    A lot of headbangers could have said the same about the Irish Govt being beholden to a pesky referendum.

As pointed out repeatedly on here during the "Yes to Jobs" campaign, it isn't correct to interfere in another country's political process.

i agree with you

hence why we and 495 million other people

can just sit back and watch what happens in their courts

You are comparing Klaus to Saddam Husein?

Actually - you aren't doing anything; just a bit of an anti-US Foreign Policy rant. We'll I'm sure Ganley has friends in the ex-US administration. Besides, which, in terms of a 'good job' there is tenuous democracy in Iraq at the moment (although the cost was too high to create such an unstable set-up, without war having already been brought to America or her allies - as was the case with Afghanistan).

not at all

im highlighting Ganley's links to a certain bunch of warmongering neocons

the flag in this picture speaks tons about Klaus, and his wikipedia page linked earlier is an interesting read

but its their country we can only sitback and watch with interest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Are you claiming that people didn't actually change their minds?

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Are you claiming that people didn't actually change their minds?

amused,
    Scofflaw

Are "you" claiming that "they" didn't?

Facetiously,
    "Passive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Really guys, the imitating of Scofflaws sign off got lame like a year and a half ago.

On topic, Klaus was just waiting to pass the buck to either the Irish or (now) UK electorate I imagine. He wont be willing to take responsibility for stopping the whole thing especially considering Parliament have ratified it. Its just a typical example of someone trying to cling to their ideals in the face of pragmatism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Isn't the sign wit the hammer & sickle in the EU flag a protest about how this treaty is going to be like bringing communism back to the Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia)? That's what i gathered since Klaus isn't a communist.

Isn't the sign wit the hammer & sickle in the EU flag a protest about how this treaty is going to be like bringing communism back to the Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia)? That's what i gathered since Klaus isn't a communist.

you should read his wikipedia page...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Slightly OT, but don't you think the hammer and sickle symbol is a little out of date, I think it should be the keyboard and mouse; if only I was good at graphics I could morph a keyboard and mouse into a hammer and sickle.

you should read his wikipedia page...

I'm surprised you could read it considering the virtual forest of [citation needed]'s on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

I'm surprised you could read it considering the virtual forest of [citation needed]'s on it.

lol brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

?

he can't actually sign the treaty till the court deals with the appeal. its in the constitution. if he doesn't sign it then, there are a few MPs willing to take him to court, as he's not working in his office with regards to the constitution. even the chair of the constitutional court said that the constitution can be interpreted in a way that the president must sign international treaties when they are approved by the contitutional court and both houses of the parliament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It will be funny to see the people that were harping on about democracy and the Irish voting twice, hoping that this one man can hold up the treaty for as long as possible.

Should reveal lots of hypocrites IMHO.

thebman wrote: »
    It will be funny to see the people that were harping on about democracy and the Irish voting twice, hoping that this one man can hold up the treaty for as long as possible.

No, it won't.

That man is the President of the Czech Republic - I suggest you look up the responsibilities he enjoys compared to our lame duck, hair-do'ed figurehead (and that covers Lipstick Bertie if a certain, ignorant clique in this rotten state ever have their way)

The Czech Republic is still (at this time and date) a sovereign state.

That's the difference.

No, it won't.

That man is the President of the Czech Republic - I suggest you look up the responsibilities he enjoys compared to our lame duck, hair-do'ed figurehead (and that covers Lipstick Bertie if a certain, ignorant clique in this rotten state ever have their way)

That's the difference.

and were not a sovereign state :rolleyes:

jebus would you give it up

they are still scaremongering :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The ironing-o-meter nearly explodes when you factor in that he is indirectly elected by the parliament, not directly by the people.

• Advertisement

They
    Scaremongering
    Still

I think, like the Yes FOR Jobs campaign, you should wait and see.

marco_polo wrote: »
    The ironing-o-meter nearly explodes when you factor in that he is indirectly elected by the parliament, not directly by the people.

Opinion polls suggest he has the highest regard amongst Czechs, way higher than any in their parliament. The trust factor in him is at least always 60%.

I don't know the man or pretend to know fully the workings of the Czech political system
    I suggest you do the same.

Everything you ever say

[citation needed]

Opinion polls suggest he has the highest regard amongst Czechs, way higher than any in their parliament. The trust factor in him is at least always 60%.

I don't know the man or pretend to know fully the workings of the Czech political system
    I suggest you do the same.

http://aktualne.centrum.cz/czechnews/clanek.phtml?id=649298

Since we are playing statistical tennis support for the treaty was running at 64% in January. (I have a link too)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

thebman wrote: »

Well it's like I said before...democracy = whatever some of the No side decide it is, and anything else is undemocratic :rolleyes:

marco_polo wrote: »
    http://aktualne.centrum.cz/czechnews/clanek.phtml?id=649298

Since we are playing statistical tennis support for the treaty was running at 64% in January. (I have a link too)

No, that's 63 percent view EU membership favourably - 53% would vote YES.
    That's now.

I voted No, I view EU membership favourably.
    Stick that in Pat Cox's hole, I mean EUstat machine.

No, that's 63 percent view EU membership favourably - 53% would vote YES.
    That's now.

I voted No, I view EU membership favourably.
    Stick that in Pat Cox's hole, I mean EUstat machine.

Indeed, still not exactly much of a mandate in any language for blocking the democratically elected parliament.

Amusing that you have a favourable view of an organisation you are convinced are out to take our democracy away.

With something of tremendous importance and change, I suggest he is doing the right thing by his people. The thing he's entrusted to do.

I don't understand your second sentence?

With something of tremendous importance and change, I suggest he is doing the right thing by his people. The thing he's entrusted to do.

I don't understand your second sentence?

Since they have apparently stolen our sovereignty after many years of effort with Lisbon, it is a bit odd that you should have a positive view on EU membership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

No, it won't.

That's the difference.

lol! :D

http://www.radio.cz/en/current/curraffrs
    Civic Democrat leader Mirek Topolánek told Czech TV on Sunday that the president should ratify the treaty.

“The treaty was ratified by both chambers of Parliament. Although I’m not a lawyer, the way I understand it is that since we don’t have a presidential system in the Czech Republic, the president’s signature is a mere formality. However, I understand that others might see it differently, and argue that the president does not have to sign the treaty. That would get us in a very difficult position.

Not everyone agrees that the Czech president even has the power to not sign.

PS, here you are talking about the will of the people:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62322017&postcount=136

I have to say, I'm finding it funny :o

Advertisement