Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Housing

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum but I couldnt find anywhere else.

My gran lives in a council house and 3 months ago the Boiler blew up.

The council sent someone around to look at it and since then it still hasnt been fixed.

3 weeks ago a plumber installed a new boiler and said he would be back the next day with an electrician.

3 weeks on still nothing.

We have spoke to the council who have given us the usual run around with "oh im sorry well get someone right on to it, or ill contact the plumber etc".

Now its starting to get really cold, we have begged my gran to move out and move in with us, but the dear is so proud she wont. She also cant afford the electric bill despite myself giving her some cash to put towards the bill. But she still wont except it.

Im sure this cant be right, 3 months without any heating. She has nothing else except for a open fire.

Is there anything I can say or do to force the council?

Are they breaking any laws?

Ive told my nan we should get our own plumber and electrician and deduct the balance from the councils rent, but can we really do that?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hmmmm, sorry to hear about your troubles. I was reading a booklet recently issued by Mallow TC about council housing and it states in it that all maintenance etc is the tenants responsibility and not any problem of the councils so wonder if you can claim off them etc afterwards but thats only a passing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that this one might be better suited to Accomodation & Property - you might get more specific advice there. Moved accordingly.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Sorry to hear about the plumber... they are the most amazing trade! Not sure that there is a lot you can do about him, other than keep ringing him. Don't be afraid to pester him, it's the only way to get them to respond.

On another note, what sort of council house is it? Does it have insulation? I bought a two storey, terraced council house a couple of years ago, it had very little insulation when we moved in. For 250 Euro we bought a few rolls of rock wool, installed it in a day (just like rolling out a rug). House is really warm now, haven't had to put on the heating yet and probably won't until November. You'd be amazed the difference it makes. Think of it as buying a wooly hat for your Nans house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

How old is your Gran? There are quite a few different things she can claim for as an OAP. They tend to be split between a few different agencies, the HSE and the department of social welfare deal with most. Her electrical bill should have a contribution, phone rental paid, tv licence free, contribution to alarm system etc...
    I suggest you go to to citizen advise and get all relevant documentation and forms. They might be able to help directly too.
    I had a plumber stop putting a bathroom in for my Gran, he just stopped turning up. All very odd as he had to be on the approved list of the council and was charging double the price of a standard plumber. He was still on the list a year later.
    Unfortunately the council grants for such works take time, it is probably her age that entitles her to the heating being fixed rather than the fact she rents from them. If all that is being done is the the electrical hook up you should be able to get an electrician down to connect it for under €200. Probably the quickest solution if you have been complaining for 2 weeks or more without any progress.

Advertisement