Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson linked with EU president job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Inaccurate thread title.

The post is European Council President.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

:D blame the independent! its their headline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any post that allows us to see La Robinson waving her hands about is a bad thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Robinson would be an excellent Council President. Not sure of her skill at regimenting action, but as a figure that is respected worldwide (without the Iraq war being hung over her head) then she is far better than Blair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

She actually would be an excellent choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

but as a figure that is respected worldwide (without the Iraq war being hung over her head) then she is far better than Blair.

She is not that popular in the US. So not worldwide, then.

asdasd wrote: »

its the EU that matters

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

She would be wonderful.
    She's one of the very few I have any respect for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Outside of a hard core right wing Jewish lobby she is. The Obama administration (and importanly the Clintons) would certaintly be a supporters given that he gave her that award recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

So long as she doesn't leave the job early if she gets a better offer.

zzzzzzzzing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

First time i actually got a good feeling about whole thing when i heard she was possibility :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

I said respected, not popular. Even her political opponents would respect the fact that she is driven mainly by her honestly held beliefs. Besides as has been pointed out the current administration would not have a problem with her.

Blair on the other hand would be a very unpopular choice in the ME, part of Africa, and indeed inside the EU itself.

Outside of a hard core right wing Jewish lobby she is. The Obama administration (and importanly the Clintons) would certaintly be a supporters given that he gave her that award recently.

True. But the problem with saying that it is just the right wing Jewish lobby, as someone said, is that it is not really just that group who dont like her, but all republicans. And they dont respect her either. The two go hand in hand. They think she is either an anti-semite, or not very good at controlling anti-semites. There is no truth in the former, but possibly some truth in the latter.

in any case I dont agree with them, although I dont particularly like her, I was just pointing out that she is not that universally liked.

True. But the problem with the right wing Jewish lobby, as someone said, is that it is not relly just that group who dont like her, but all republicans. And they dont respect her either. The two go hand in hand. They thing she is either an anti-semite, or not very good at controlling anti-semites. There is no truth in the former, but possibly some truth in the latter.

in any case I dont agree with them, although I dont particularly like her, I was just pointing out that she is not that universally liked.

well if the Republicans dont like

then she definitely needs to get the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

PomBear wrote: »
    She actually would be an excellent choice

Disagree. She's okay at figurehead stuff, but that's not the job (neither is it an executive presidency with real power). It's a nuts and bolts job that requires negotiating skills and great reservoirs of patience and ingenuity in mediating between heads of government and brokering deals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hmm the Irish media throwing names such as Mary Robinson and John Bruton into the ring this morning. Guess they are all certainties for the post as well. You know, because the papers that are from the same country as the prospective candidates said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hierotochan

True. But the problem with saying that it is just the right wing Jewish lobby, as someone said, is that it is not really just that group who dont like her, but all republicans. And they dont respect her either. The two go hand in hand. They think she is either an anti-semite, or not very good at controlling anti-semites. There is no truth in the former, but possibly some truth in the latter.

Anyone who isn't anti-Palestine is anti-semite as far at the right-wing Jewish lobby is concerned.

As far as rumors go I think every country in Europe is getting some story like this "leaked" on a slow news day.
    Every ex-president/PM or equivalent is suddenly a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

The Republicans will bash anyone for president other than Blair. Bashing the EU is what they do. It's a nuance free zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

She is a woman. She won't get it. :mad:

Elmo wrote: »
    She is a woman. She won't get it. :mad:

I read reports that Angela Merkel favours the idea of a woman in one of what she sees as the the key jobs.

• Advertisement

I read reports that Angela Merkel favours the idea of a woman in one of what she sees as the toe key jobs.

Another woman who won't put Mary Robinson forward, why? She is to radical for little Angela.

In fairness to the Irish media they have not stated Bertie, both Robinson and Bruton have already had high profile jobs in international affairs.

Another woman who won't put Mary Robinson forward, why? She is to radical for little Angela.

I'd say people are worried she may quit the job for more money, or prestige, if a better offer comes along. That should be taken into account.

I'd say people are worried she may quit the job for more money, or prestige, if a better offer comes along. That should be taken into account.

Why should political/civil servant jobs be any different to other jobs. MR had an opportunity to taken on a better role and she has since stated that the pressure she was put under by the UN at the time was unnecessary and she regretted leaving the presidency before her time.

Both Bertie Ahern and Tony Blair stepped down in their roles before the terms of their governments where up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Last night I browsed the Conspiracy Theory forum here and noticed that a lot of the loonier No voters who post here also post there, in favour of CT's obviously and I noticed that they mentioned that John Bruton had attended the Bilderberg meetings, where apparently they discuss a New World Order and the culling of 1/3rd the population.

So, I can only assume that should he get the role, there'll be even crazier reactions from said people in relation to it than we've already seen from them regarding Lisbon.

In other words, fingers crossed John Bruton gets the job :)

Personally I'd prefer Tony Blair over a woman, but that's because I'm a chauvinist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Anyone know if she speaks any European languages? I really think the job should go to someone with a decent working knowledge of at least two or three of the major European languages.

prinz wrote: »
    Anyone know if she speaks any European languages? I really think the job should go to someone with a decent working knowledge of at least two or three of the major European languages.

Irish and English? [I don't actually know her language capabilities.]

Remember when Bertie was being touted for the job (before a lot of sewage-tainted water flowed under the bridge)? He could get by with a questionable capacity in only one language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think the job should go to someone who's capable for the position, and not how linguistically strong they are.

Mary is fluent in both English and Irish. Two european languages.

She's a step up from Blair for sure - A man with the blood of thousands of civilians at his hands does not deserve such a position.

Remember when Bertie was being touted for the job (before a lot of sewage-tainted water flowed under the bridge)? He could get by with a questionable capacity in only one language.

:pac: True that :pac:
    dlofnep wrote: »
    I think the job should go to someone who's capable for the position, and not how linguistically strong they are.
    Mary is fluent in both English and Irish. Two european languages.

Part of that capability will stem for being able to communicate quickly and effectively. Being able to have a quick word in someone's ear etc. I'm sure the people of the Gaeltacht would love it, but what about the other 99.9999999% of the population of the EU :rolleyes:. IMO it generates a lot of respect and whatnot and would do a lot towards allaying people's fears, think of the Papal* addresses for example, even as gaeilge. There are a lot of people in this country already fearful of the unknown faceless eurocrat, imagine if they were presented with someone who hasn't a word of English?
    Even Mary Robinson could easily win over massive support in Europe with a speech in another langauge.
    She's a step up from Blair for sure - A man with the blood of thousands of civilians at his hands does not deserve such a position.

Sorry can't hear you over that axe you're grinding. We all know about the 'war mongerer' etc etc no need to include it in every post.

*John Paul II was a master of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Part of that capability will stem for being able to communicate quickly and effectively. Being able to have a quick word in someone's ear etc. I'm sure the people of the Gaeltacht would love it, but what about the other 99.9999999% of the population of the EU :rolleyes:. IMO it generates a lot of respect and whatnot and would do a lot towards allaying people's fears, think of the Papal* addresses for example, even as gaeilge. There are a lot of people in this country already fearful of the unknown faceless eurocrat, imagine if they were presented with someone who hasn't a word of English?
    Even Mary Robinson could easily win over massive support in Europe with a speech in another langauge.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it should be a make or break issue for the position. Sure, it would be respectful if she could speak in another language to the target audience - but she can't please everyone in Europe. There are many languages spoken here.
    Sorry can't hear you over that axe you're grinding. We all know about the 'war mongerer' etc etc no need to include it in every post.

No axe-grinding. It's a valid point.

• Advertisement

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it should be a make or break issue for the position. Sure, it would be respectful if she could speak in another language to the target audience - but she can't please everyone in Europe. There are many languages spoken here.

I saw she spent a few years in Switzerland so she could've picked up a bit there. It's not make or break but I think it would definitely work in her favour rather than against her, so I was hoping she does have it, if you get me, especially getting any backing from the French.
    No axe-grinding. It's a valid point.

Yeah but it's one everybody knows :D When Blair came up to I thought the language thing might be a barrier against him too.

Advertisement