Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson linked with EU president job

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

prinz wrote: »
    I saw she spent a few years in Switzerland so she could've picked up a bit there. It's not make or break but I think it would definitely work in her favour rather than against her, so I was hoping she does have it, if you get me, especially getting any backing from the French.

Well, I agree with you - it would be nice to have. I just don't think that it should be a make or break issue, that's all. I think it's very respectful to address people in their native language, and they will definately respect you more for it.
    Yeah but it's one everybody knows :D When Blair came up to I thought the language thing might be a barrier against him too.

Fair enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... When Blair came up to I thought the language thing might be a barrier against him too.

I heard him speaking French. He seems to have a good command of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I heard him speaking French. He seems to have a good command of it.

Hmm learn something new everyday. Must check that out, thanks. Ah, true enough watching the clip of his message to Sarkozy. It's exactly the sort of thing that will win favour. Pronounciation leaves a lot to be desired though but good effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can't see it happpening, she's got no big EU experience to be honest, she's really more of an international than a European

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I can actually see somebody like Robinson getting the position, or another leader from a smaller nation (like Juncker, who I would view as the favourite). Blair's tarnished international profile at the man-on-the-street level will work against him and being from the UK will not stand him in good stead within the parliament as that nation's hostility to the European project might cast him as a liability. If they're intelligent, they'll look for somebody unassuming from a country without controversy.

Also, let's not overstate Robinson's unpopularity among American politicians. The transparent attempt to disrupt that UN summit by republican UN-skeptics doesn't conform to the mainstream perception of her within the US. The people protesting her getting the presidential medal of freedom got all the press due to the controversy, but she is beloved by the Irish-American caucuses, beloved by democrats and, you know, she got the presidential medal of freedom.

Also, Mary Robinson in general is awesome. A human rights, women's rights, labour rights and gay rights activist is the perfect symbol to sit at the top of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Rb wrote: »
    ... a lot of the loonier No voters who post here ...
    Lets keep this civil, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 palatinian

asdasd wrote: »
    She is not that popular in the US. So not worldwide, then.

What is US ?
    Can I buy some ?
    What´s it taste like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

What is US ?
    Can I buy some ?
    What´s it taste like ?

That's a fantastic contribution to this thread, dude.

imokyrok wrote: »
    The Republicans will bash anyone for president other than Blair. Bashing the EU is what they do. It's a nuance free zone.
    So what do the americans in general and the Reps especially have to do with an election in Europe ?

Let me say it this way:

REPS bum,bum,bum, what are they good for
    ABSOLUTELY NOTHING boom.

Or is the world Goverment already residing in Alabama, wearing their KKK uniforms ?

We´re in EUROPE squire, any yank telling me what to do get`s a boot up his intestines.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I think the job should go to someone who's capable for the position, and not how linguistically strong they are.

Mary is fluent in both English and Irish. Two european languages.

She's a step up from Blair for sure - A man with the blood of thousands of civilians at his hands does not deserve such a position.

She can also converse in French and German.

And if she stands, she has the german vote.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Can't see it happpening, she's got no big EU experience to be honest, she's really more of an international than a European

What could be more international than Europe ?

That's a fantastic contribution to this thread, dude.

So is bringing in the US Reps as an important factor in a European election.

What could be more international than Europe ?

The rest of the world?

So is bringing in the US Reps as an important factor in a European election.

the quote was in response to a poster who said she was universally liked. She is not liked by significant forces in the American Establishment, and that is relevent for the post of European President.

So it does matter. Whether you like them or not. In any case your post was utterly meaningless. You didnt seem to know that US is an abreviation for the United States, so what was the point of posting?

The rest of the world?

She would be running for Europe, not the rest of the world.

Besides, the rest of the world is not tryeing to get together in a political system with a common president.

She would be running for Europe, not the rest of the world.

So in response to your post about what could be more international than Europe - the obvious answer being the rest of the world, you now come up with this?

we know what she is running for. I was answering the quote "What could be more international than Europe"

I dont think she has a hope. not really that well known outside the AngloSphere, not liked by significant American forces, not very good at running stuff. Good at platitudes.

the quote was in response to a poster who said she was universally liked. She is not liked by significant forces in the American Establishment, and that is relevent for the post of European President.

So it does matter. Whether you like them or not. In any case your post was utterly meaningless. You didnt seem to know that US is an abreviation for the United States, so what was the point of posting?

Nothing any US citzen utters shall be nor will be of any importance in OUR Europe.

And I do happen to know,what US stands for. I use the expression all the time.

Perhaps I am not the simpleton you deem to see.

So in response to your post about what could be more international than Europe - the obvious answer being the rest of the world, you now come up with this?

we know what she is running for. I was answering the quote "What could be more international than Europe"

I dont think she has a hope. not really that well known outside the AngloSphere, not liked by significant American forces, not very good at running stuff. Good at platitudes.

Well, let me put it this way then:

Which Political Union could be more international than Europe ?

No, not the UN, it´s not a political union, it´s a debating Club.

Now, I can assure you, if Mary runs, she will definitely get the German vote.
    And Merkel, as much as I dislike her political style, will plug Mary and she will be heard.

Someone mentioned Sarkozy favoured Blair.

This is absolutely untrue.

Sarkozy knows quite well, he will not be reelcted.
    So he is eyeing the second term of the European presidency. And true to his overblown ego he does not want someone before him to steal his show.

I do happen to have a little insight in these affairs, you can believe me, I am not talking out of my ass.

Had I been gifted with a gob like Blairs, who knows, I might be running for the job myself.

I do hope you can live with a silly joke here and there.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

palatinian wrote: »
    She can also converse in French and German.

And if she stands, she has the german vote.

Happy days. That puts her streets ahead of Blair IMO. Juncker is still in there though but I'd be happy enough with him too.

Happy days. That puts her streets ahead of Blair IMO. Juncker is still in there though but I'd be happy enough with him too.

Juncker was number 1, but that was some weeks back.
    It seems, he is a little too far to the right for Merkels liking.

And, Merkel prefers to work with people she knows and trusts.
    She met Mary several times and she seems to like her a lot.

On the other hand, she´s uncomfortable with Blairs and Junckers patronising ways.

BTW, I´ve been canvassing for Mary for quite a while now simply, because I believe, we need someone with her integrity to represent us.
    And I found acceptance across the party spectrum here in Germany.

• Advertisement
Advertisement