Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the moon today

• 05-10-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

looks massive. anybody got any info? and will it last until tonight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

As far as I know, it's a Harvest Moon and should last tonight. Might be a bit red if you're in a city/near light pollution. First full moon after the autumn solstice looks closer than any other time of the year or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

looks massive. anybody got any info? and will it last until tonight?

Optical illusion :mad:
    Take a picture and it'll still be as disappointingly tiny as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I was wondering about that. A nifty fifty is meant to be pretty close to what the human eye sees isn't it? Surely that could capture the larger appearance of the moon.

I was wondering about that. A nifty fifty is meant to be pretty close to what the human eye sees isn't it? Surely that could capture the larger appearance of the moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_illusion

"An optical illusion (also called a visual illusion) is characterized by visually perceived images that differ from objective reality. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was out for a walk last night and thought that the moon looked amazing. I might try to take some photos tonight,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Here's a picture I got in Belfast on Saturday night:

3983661064_ea7f38c524_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I was driving through Ballymun by Ikea this morning and the moon looked fabulous sitting over the store's roof, I had the camera in the car but wasn't in a position to stop in traffic and take a shot.

I've been fustrated all morning now because its going through my head I should have stopped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

Now I know why my moon shots are never any good thanks Daire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

bugger!!!!! :9 it looked incredible today in the bus to city west.(near the red cow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I came in from work at 4am on Saturday morning and it was fantastic. The sky was a bluey white and there was a massive orange ring dwarfing the moon itself. A load of silky, puffy clouds ran through the moon occasionally. Raging I couldn't get a decent shot:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Oh I hope someone got a pic of tonights moon, it looked fab, but rushing around so much couldnt get to photograph it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

I tried on Saturday to get pics but no success. It just looked too bright and blown out. No detail visible. (Canon 50D) I think maybe a filter of some kind might have helped. Any suggestions on that one? Thanks in advance.

Lady_North wrote: »
    I tried on Saturday to get pics but no success. It just looked too bright and blown out. No detail visible. (Canon 50D) I think maybe a filter of some kind might have helped. Any suggestions on that one? Thanks in advance.

No filter needed, you just didn't expose correctly. The moon is a wee little dot in an otherwise black sky, so the cameras meter gets confused. Either switch your metering to spot metering (if your camera can do that) and meter directly off the moon or switch to manual. A good starting exposure at 100 asa should be 1/100 and F/11 or F/8. Start from their, check the resulting pic and adjust as needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Here Daire, I took this shot of the Moon earlier when there were clouds going by, admittedly they were very small thin clouds but none of them showed up in my final pictures!!

D3D810803246484C903D9AB1E6BC6759-800.jpg

ISO 400 - Spot Metering - f5.6 - 1/1250 shutter speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Here Daire, I took this shot of the Moon earlier when there were clouds going by, admittedly they were very small thin clouds but none of them showed up in my final pictures!!

One of the frustrating things about photography is that the human brain/eyes are incredibly sophisticated. We basically run a HDR conversion program in our head all the time, hence we see both the moon and its halo, but shooting it with a camera requires different meterings.

The obvious conclusion is that someone should do a HDR of the moon and its clouds. Gotta be quick though, that little bugger with drift quickly :)

Er these were actually clouds going by...hehe

I took this shot from my balcony, neighbours walking by included, was tempted to shoot the Ilac centre as well but..... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Here's my take on the moon from tonight :P

(It's behind the campanile ;) )

37A73A5C6E2F4039BDABE490E18E410D-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tonights moon, 96% full.

moon10_5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Looks a bit Geoid Ruu (I know it is but it looks too geoid) also its a tad soft, have a look at Animal Rights previous pic, thats what you should be looking for!

I used a 100-400L IS /Tripod/ wired shutter release and the settings I mentioned earlier Ruu if thats any help.
    Also why are our Moon's diff colours?

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Here's my take on the moon from tonight :P

(It's behind the campanile ;) )

Thirdfox wins the thread for ...

1. Having a perfectly valid moon shot that doesn't actually contain the actual moon ...

2. Using the word 'campanile'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yes the moon is small, but perfect for my 'little' composition:

A02E140CDDF14BD0BB9DE6B4E8232706-800.jpg

/I used a filter for the top left so that the moon didn't overexpose toooo much :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I used a 100-400L IS /Tripod/ wired shutter release and the settings I mentioned earlier Ruu if thats any help.
    Also why are our Moon's diff colours?

Dunno, it was a tad cloudy at times. I used ISO 400 - Spot Metering - f8 - 1/399 shutter speed. I didn't change anything about light settings.

More moon pictures here. :)Link, for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

The difference between them is probably white balance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Hand-held attempt. 500mm, f8, 1/320 sec, ISO 100

3988833098_22d10786ab_o.jpg

Great steady hands you have, do you trapeze walk too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Got a shot of the moon last night as well...

3990424372_b43567873d.jpg

Handheld as I've lost the head of my tripod!

Nikon D60, Sigma 70-300 APO
    300mm | f/5.6 | 1/400sec | iso

You've nice detail in your shot AnimalRights... I think I might try a faster shutter speed tonight if the sky allows.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Hand-held attempt. 500mm

Seriously? Impressive.

Zillah wrote: »
    Seriously? Impressive.
    Image stabilisation helps greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

wow those are impressive handheld shots!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Some great shots there, mine was a bit crap :(
    I've a feeling the lens is just a waste since I've never been happy with the sharpness from it.

8A8088A80D7D40E79028DFB696C7E448-800.jpg

JohnK wrote: »
    I've a feeling the lens is just a waste since I've never been happy with the sharpness from it.

Might have more to do with your technique than the lens. Did you handhold that shot ? Shutter speed was 1/200. I have fairly steady hands, but there's no way I'd try and handhold a shot at 300mm at a speed of 1/200 and expect a sharp image. Up the speed somehow or use a tripod. OTOH if you ARE using a tripod and mirror lockup for that shot then yeah, it looks fairly soft.

What lens you using? You're only at ISO100 in that shot - if you pump up the iso a bit you'll be able to use a faster shutter speed, then cutting down on loss of sharpness due to camera shake..

Thanks for the suggestions. The lens is a Tamron 28-300 XR DI LD (whatever the hell that means!) and I was using it on a tripod but I suppose there might have been a bit of shake when I pressed the button. If its clear again tonight I'll bump up the ISO and see if that makes much of a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions. The lens is a Tamron 28-300 XR DI LD (whatever the hell that means!) and I was using it on a tripod but I suppose there might have been a bit of shake when I pressed the button. If its clear again tonight I'll bump up the ISO and see if that makes much of a difference.

Oh right, I gotta say, for something like a 3rd party 28->300 all bets are off. It IS probably the lens in that case :D There's a reason there isn't any comparable own brand Canon or Nikon equivalent ...

• Advertisement

Use the self-timer on the camera!

Oh right, I gotta say, for something like a 3rd party 28->300 all bets are off. It IS probably the lens in that case :D There's a reason there isn't any comparable own brand Canon or Nikon equivalent ...
    Guess theres a reason it was so cheap :D
    gary82 wrote: »
    Use the self-timer on the camera!
    I'll give that a go too, might actually do something for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Considering NASA are planning on blowing a 3mile whole in the moon tomorrow do you think we'll be able to get a good shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

steve06 wrote: »
    Considering NASA are planning on blowing a 3mile whole in the moon tomorrow do you think we'll be able to get a good shot?

Be daytime here I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Be daytime here I think.
    ah crap!

Well take a pic tonight, because tomorrow night there'll be an extra hole in it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

the moon was visible at 11am this morning (and probably later than this), i believe the explosion will be around 12.30 irish time so it might be possible to get a snap of it, clouds and rain due tomorrow though :(

I think this one could be improved by adjusting the levels. The moon is really just various shades of grey and you need to process the image to bring out the differences. Then after you have reduced the size, sharpen the image to bring out features like craters.

Moon photography sure shows up how dirty your glass is!!

3993992300_1d31bab3f5.jpg
    3993991612_1d4e831e2c.jpg
    Taken this morning

Canon 450d Tamron 70-300@300mm Tripod and timer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Tonights effort. Visibility wasn't perfect but this is my first shot of the moon. I think with a bit more reach it could be a pretty cool genre to get into.

3994034104_8f8223a1e7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

This was my 55-250mm lens on my crop senor maxed out from about 10 mins ago
    3993370315_0d9f5cae06_o.jpg

Thats the type of clouds/Moonshot I want to get...my clouds were faint and somehow disapeared!

steve06 wrote: »

It's 14 metres not 3 miles :)

This was my 55-250mm lens on my crop senor maxed out from about 10 mins ago
    3993370315_0d9f5cae06_o.jpg

Is that just a straight shot, you didn't do HDR or did some PS work to bring out the clouds?

It looks like its been rotated 90 degrees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Zillah wrote: »
    Is that just a straight shot, you didn't do HDR or did some PS work to bring out the clouds?
    Levels & sharened and a reduced opacity high pass filter after i processed the raw file. The moon was just about to disappear behind the clouds
    NORTH1 wrote: »
    It looks like its been rotated 90 degrees?
    Afraid not, although my camera may not have been 100% level on the tripod - it wasn't too fAr off of it! I didn't see need to try & correct as there are no horizontal references in the frame

• Advertisement
Advertisement