Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

desparately need help with software installation

• 05-10-2009 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

hi,
    i bought a home trainer for my bicycle last year called tacx i magic which has software that has to be installed before it works properly.
    however during the installation a message comes up the screen"error opening file for writing "c:\program files\ffdshow.ax"

it states that i can skip this but it will not work properly without it.
    i have tried un installing and re installing a few times but to no avail.

my o s is windows vista

i would appreciate and help or direction i need to go to get this resolved as it will be a long winter without it and a more productive one with it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

however during the installation a message comes up the screen"error opening file for writing "c:\program files\ffdshow.ax"

Are you running this install on an admin account, or a user account?

Do you get a security popup when the install starts?

Does the file/folder already exist, is it read-only?

Can you try installing this on an XP machine, is there a version that is vista compliant on the vendor website?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the box to see what version of windows it will work with as you may need to run it in a comaptibilty mode

does it have hardware, as the drivers for it may be the problem, check the vendors website for update drivers too

if you can't cleanly uninstall, consider a system restore to be sure you have removed all traces so you when you try to install again it will be a clean install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭sportbilly2008

sorry about the delay in replying but was on my hols,

kierank01

its on a user account
    no security pop ups
    the only xp machine i have is a desktop which was used as a trial run but is not in a room that can be used by a sweaty cyclist

captain midnight

the info on the box is as follows

processor; pentium 4

memory; 512 mb

free disk space; 850 mb

videocard; directx9 compatable 3d card
    with 128 mb geforce fx or similiar

various; 1 free usb port

os; windows 2000 of xp

my laptop is dell studio 15

i have tried system restore but i first installed it last november so i would lose as my stuff installed since then

when i last un installed and re installed it put a message on the screen which said that it could not find a specific driver and to contact the vendors website

anyone help me on this one?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You have uninstalled the app?
    Are you sure the app directory is FULLY gone from the c:\program files\ dir?

By the way, its unusual to see a dir called "ffdshow.ax"
    It anything it should be like:
    "c:\program files\ffdshowax"
    or
    "c:\program files\ffdshow"

You should NEVER get just a file slapping itself into the "c:\program files" directory!

"ffdshow" is a video codec tool/file by the way.

You might want to look at below links - might help:

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Issues:Ffdshow.ax_Exception

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t22813.html

hi just to update you all, i uninstalled it with revi uninstall{seemed very thorough} and i re installed it again and guess what it fully loaded on my lap top, but and there is always a but when i clicked to start the program the screen went all black and nothing happens, what am i doin wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

found it hard to follow the thread, but i'm guessing your laptop has integrated graphics whereas the app seems to require a dedicated graphics card?

finally got it to fully load but i need a new cadence sensor, one ordered so will have to wait till it arrives to play with my new toy last november.
    thanks for all the help and guidance guys!

Advertisement