Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debt collection co

Options
  • 05-10-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I got a call from an english debt collection company about ten mins ago. They asked for me by name which i confirmed and then asked for my address which i told thm. They then wanted my DOB. I told the guy on the phone that as i had never dealt with them before could he confirm to me what DOB he had on his system as i was not comfortable giving out this information. He just said no he could not and as i had refused to confirm the security questions he was hanging up and he did!!

What do i do here. I think i know who they may be representing with regards to collecting debt. So should i call them and ask them to intervene or should i ignore the call for now and wait for thm to call me back??

frAg

Quick edit- does anyone know who does the debt colllection for HFC bank as i know i owe them moneys!! goddam recession!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ignore them, they have no power here as they are in a foreign country.

MC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First question is, do you have a outstanding debt and if so why have you not settled it?

Second question is, can you settle the debt (if outstanding)?

Third one is, why would you give your address to any one over the phone that you can't verify?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Nody,

Yes i have an outstanding debt

No i cant pay or settle the debt as i am not working at present

As for the address i thought it was HFC bank(to whom i owe moneys) who i would have dealt with previously on the phone. It was only after the second question that it occurred to me that i dont know this company and thus asked them to confirm what they had on file about me. Thats when he hung up.

Now that you have had your three question answered any chance you could answer my original question.....what can i do now, what should i do??

Just tried calling HFC bit on long Q at the moment. Will try them again after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Best advice - call HFC and come to some agreement with them to pay your outstanding debt (by any means possible, including small payments over long terms). Make some form of agreement with them.

Any payment/agreement is better than ignoring the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Even if they are the legitimite owners of your debt, do not give out personal information over the phone. They should contact you in a more appropriate manner.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

HFC have sold the debt to the debt collectors, it will eventually be sold to a big **** with no neck called Tommy . Tommy will call to the door looking for it .

Was it a sofa you bought ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Paulw really hit the nail on it; contact the original owners and try to set up a payment plan with what you can afford. If they fob you of to the debtors do the same; if both reject it let them take it to court if they want to (only way to get things measured out for the debt and the fact you have offered, in writing, to pay it of will make that chance minimal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Sounds dodgy to me. I think it sounds like some scam artists chancing their arm. Do you have the number that they rang you from ? If so, then post it here and we'll have a good ol' Google off it to see if it's Legit.

It sounds to me like a shower of chancers, looking to gather some info off you and use it to scam you in some way. In todays climate with so many people in Debt, if they make enough phone calls, eventually, they will get someone who is actually in debt and will think they are legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Regarding the phone call - if it was from a debt collection agency (either one that has bought the debt, or one that is acting on behalf of the bank, or the debt collection department of the bank), I would wait for them to send you some sort of letter advising you that they are now dealing with the debt, & wouldn't entertain any further phone calls.

In the meantime, it might be a good idea for you to make an appointment at your local MABS office. Bring all outstanding bills together with any debt collection threats etc with you.

They will act on your behalf & straight away contact anyone you owe money to. They will tell them that they are currently examining your financial situation & request that they suspend any action(s) until they have a total picture of your situation.

MABS deal with this sort of thing every day, are a confidential & non-judgemental service - plus it looks good to any debtor that you have a government sponsored organisation advising you on your finances.

Alternatively, you could do out a financial statement yourself. Include all your income & all your outgoings, showing the difference between your monthly income & your monthly outgoings. Get a letter from DSFA stating what you get from them. Presumably your financial statement will show very little, or even a 'minus' amount.

You could ask that they consider writing your debt off. Or you could offer a nominal payment of €1 a month until such a time that your circumstances improve subject to regular review. It's impossible to draw blood from a stone.

Once you have done all this you will have done all that is legally required. You will have acknowledged the debt & offered to pay what you can until your circumstances change.

A visit to MABS would be a better option IMO. The main thing is to do something.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never give information to a cold caller like that. Dont even confirm your name. Ask who they are, and for a number you can call them back at. A lot of such calls are scams, and if they wont give you a number, or if they just hang up, you can assume thats what it was.

In the case that it is regarding your legitimate debt, as mentioned dont ignore the people you owe money to. Negotiate with them, stay in contact, dont put your fingers in your ears and hope it will go away. :) Phone them up and talk to them about your situation. Doing this will not necessarily make things worse, but ignoring it will.

And ditto on Mabs, or alternately a local credit union might be worth talking to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

frag420 wrote: »
    Nody,

Yes i have an outstanding debt

No i cant pay or settle the debt as i am not working at present

You can pay SOMETHING towards the debt, that's the important thing. Go to MABS and they'll help you arrange something with the lender for a short-term period, a token payment each month.

If you just ignore the debt you're going to screw up your credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eth0_ wrote: »
    If you just ignore the debt you're going to screw up your credit rating.

Also, if and when it ends up in court, you won't be able to show you made any attempt to deal with the debt, and a judge will not look favorably on that. If you at least make an attempt to contact the creditor, in writing, and ask what can be done, then that will stand to you.

Don't give any information over the phone, especially to anyone claiming to be a third party debt collector. Your debt is with HFC Bank, contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

jor el wrote: »
    Don't give any information over the phone, especially to anyone claiming to be a third party debt collector. Your debt is with HFC Bank, contact them.

If the OP has stuck his head in the sand over this debt and HFC have sold the debt to a collection agency (and it sounds like this is the case), then surely it's nothing to do with HFC anymore?

Advertisement