Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cathal Dervan on Roy Keane

• 05-10-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭

Has Anyone read the article by Cathal Dervan on Roy Keane?

Very interesting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

orourkeda wrote: »

Very interesting

no, what paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

dubmick wrote: »
    no, what paper?

The Star yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He was very anti-Keane in the Saipan thing, he was also the journo who wrote the piece telling people to Boo Keane.

I would take any opinion of his on Keane with a mountain of salt tbh.

Des wrote: »
    He was very anti-Keane in the Saipan thing, he was also the journo who wrote the piece telling people to Boo Keane.

I would take any opinion of his on Keane with a mountain of salt tbh.

Why? Are we all supposed to like Roy Keane? He apologised for the booing episode in this article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why? Are we all supposed to like Roy Keane? He apologised for the booing episode in this article

He's got an agenda, i.e. hate Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Very interesting

Gutter journalist, and I'm not even a fan of Roy.

Why? Are we all supposed to like Roy Keane?

No, I was just making people aware of this guys perspective, and to take his piece with that in mind.

ie, if he has a go at Keane for something, it may not be entirely objective. It will have a slant on it.

JPA wrote: »

I hate Roy Keane. So do a lot of other people. Isnt it an opinion more than an agenda?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I suppose better late than never, how many years ago was that now 7? So seven years to do something he could have done at any stage during them.
    Also I can't stand him as a journalist, boring pedantic hack imo, and this has done nothing but remind me how little i think of him.

No, I was just making people aware of this guys perspective, and to take his piece with that in mind.

ie, if he has a go at Keane for something, it may not be entirely objective. It will have a slant on it.

Fair enough. I understand that. But isnt it reflective of others peoples perspective too. Not just his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Every Irish journalist has an agenda about Keane. Here's what the Independent actually finished their article about Keane over the weekend with:

"The rigour and the search for truth can be wearing, even if he knows he has right on his side.

He was right about the FAI, right about Saipan, right about the seats on the plane. He was right about Jamie Redknapp and his record number of England U21 caps. He was right about Richard Keys, right about Steve Staunton and Niall Quinn. He was right about dogs, right about Celebrity Love Island, right about Jason McAteer, right about London, right about Rolexes and media whores. He was right about Brian Clough, right about Alex Ferguson, right about Jack Charlton and Bob Dylan. He was right about The Bourne Ultimatum. He was right about Eamon Dunphy and right about drink. He was right about Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and right about John O'Shea, He was right about Mick McCarthy and right about Maurice Setters. He was right about Arsene

Wenger and right about Rafa. He was right about Rio and right about John Scales and his England B caps. He was right about Dwight Yorke and right about Teddy Sheringham. He was right about Peter Schmeichel and Gary Neville. He was right about banter and right about pizza and right about golf. He was right about Harry's challenge and cheese sandwiches. He was right about Cubic expression and he was right about Eric Cantona. He was right about prawn sandwiches and he was right about dead fish. He was right about sheep and right about wolves. He was right about spoofers and he was right about bull****. He was right about everything."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/keano-feels-the-wrath-of-his-own-brand-of--anger-management-1903762.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

JPA wrote: »

Doesnt everybody though its quite simple you either love him or hate him so you'll either get an article like this or one where the jornalist is licking he's hole, then off course you have Eamonn Dunphy who cant make he's mind up and jumps from one side to the other :rolleyes:

lordgoat wrote: »
    I suppose better late than never, how many years ago was that now 7? So seven years to do something he could have done at any stage during them.
    Also I can't stand him as a journalist, boring pedantic hack imo, and this has done nothing but remind me how little i think of him.

The article goes into more than just Saipan and a booing incident.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Gutter journalist, and I'm not even a fan of Roy.

Maybe he is.

However, Roy Keane was involved on a professional level (and I use the word loosely) with Irelands premier guttersnipe to write a book for\about him.

The article goes into more than just Saipan and a booing incident.

It's more his style i have a problem with. I also find that at times he's patronising and just think he's a great tabloid journalist. (That's not a compliment btw)

Good to see the indo banging out top quality written pieces there again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

He's just not a good journalist, every article of his that I have ever read has always had some underlying biased contained within it. I don't think that he rates objectivity as an important aspect of journalism.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    He's just not a good journalist, every article of his that I have ever read has always had some underlying biased contained within it. I don't think that he rates objectivity as an important aspect of journalism.

Yip spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

That independent "article" was a joke

"Roy Keane believes he's right about everything, but really he's just full of soundbites and hasn't the first idea of what he's doing. This leads to him having explosive outbursts in order to deflect attention away from himself and onto others. Ultimately he's just a very unhappy person, and we should all pity him really"

that's about the gist of it from what I can see. Utter twaddle in my opinion.

Iago wrote: »
    That independent "article" was a joke

"Roy Keane believes he's right about everything, but really he's just full of soundbites and hasn't the first idea of what he's doing. This leads to him having explosive outbursts in order to deflect attention away from himself and onto others. Ultimately he's just a very unhappy person, and we should all pity him really"

Not often one would get to say this but i reckon Roy is a much much better manager than Dion is a journalist!

(Jerome O Reilly when he did sports was the only writer in the indo worth reading imo. Not sure if he's there anymore)

Dion Fanning only has a job because of who his dad is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is it Dave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

what did Keane say about about Jamie Redknapp and his record number of England U21 caps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cathal Dervan & Dion Fanning are hysterical clowns perfectly suited to the agendas of their respective editors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I seriously think we could have a seperate Roy Keane forum. And outside the Liverpool/Man-u megathreads/game threads, it would be busier than the entire soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dervan is fairly pathetic really

There was some cliche ridden piece of rubbish by him in the Star on Sunday a week or so back about, and I am paraphrasing here, 'the green army have great craic on the road and recession or not a pint of plain is your only man', it was like something written by a 14 year old.

Plus there is this peice of rubbish from a few yaers back,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52519732&postcount=35

It's not the content of the article that I am talking about just the way it is written, again full of cliches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Iago wrote: »

That article was pretty poor alright.

But Roy's propensity to open his mouth on anything and everything that is happening in the football (and non-footballing) world does line him up for that type of treatment.

As for the article, I did like the "Roy's right about everything" tirade; the last 10 years does feel like a very long and drawn out lecture from Roy Keane. Interspersed with the occasional "I get things wrong" admission. But does anyone actually think that Roy really thinks he gets things wrong, or at least that he gets the big things wrong? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

drkpower wrote: »
    That article was pretty poor alright.

But Roy's propensity to open his mouth on anything and everything that is happening in the football (and non-footballing) world

Sounds like Dervan or Fanning. Or any tabloid jouranlist that trades in opinion rather than analysis. Except they didn't actually go out and play for their club and country with merit.

I know who I'd rather listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

stovelid wrote: »
    Sounds like Dervan or Fanning. Or any tabloid jouranlist that trades in opinion rather than analysis. Except they didn't actually go out and play for their club and country with merit.

I know who I'd rather listen to.

But they are paid to talk sh!te on a Sunday.
    Roy is paid to manage a football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Cathal dervan >>>> Crap Journo
    Roy Keane >>>> Crap Manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dervan has been a gutter journalist for years.

I have no sympathy for Keane, but Dervan is a tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Originally Posted by Des

Is it Dave?

I imagine he means Aengus Fanning, editor of The Sunday Independent.

Advertisement