Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginger

Options
  • 05-10-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few recipes which call for ginger, but they are talking about fresh ginger in them.

How much is a "knuckle"?

Also, I do have some ground ginger in a spice rack type jar. How much of this would convert to a "knuckle".

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

If the recipe says fresh ginger I would use fresh ginger. You can always freeze it & it's easier to peel from frozen.

From www.apinchof.com

'Sometimes referred to as the spice lovers spice, ginger is hot and sweet at the same time. It is available in powdered form on the spice shelves of any supermarket or fresh from the produce department, where it is sold as hands. The two are not interchangeable, however, and should not be substituted for one another. Ground ginger is a natural in baked goods but do not overlook it when cooking savory foods such as pork or whole grains. When shopping for fresh ginger, look for hands that appear smooth, breaking off what you need at the notches that could be called knuckles. Peel only the amount you need and grate or chop very fine just before using in a recipe. Store any extra, unwrapped, in the crisping drawer of the refrigerator.'

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Des wrote: »
    I have a few recipes which call for ginger, but they are talking about fresh ginger in them.

How much is a "knuckle"?

Also, I do have some ground ginger in a spice rack type jar. How much of this would convert to a "knuckle".

A knuckle is one of the "buds" about the ginger root, about the length of a finger joint. Three quarters of an inch, maybe? I love ginger, so I err on the side of plenty.

As for ground, I'm not sure, as I've never used it. I've read that one teaspoon of minced fresh ginger is equivalent to half a teaspoon of the ground stuff, but I would go for fresh if it's at all possible. It seems to lose an awful lot in the processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I agree with the other posters - I don't think dried is a suitable substitute for fresh. I'd assume a knuckle would be the same size as one of your own really. And a good tip is - peel it with a teaspoon. Sounds strange, but it REALLY works and you don't take away too much flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

We love ginger too, so much so that I know that it costs €5-50kg(not really - I just checked an old receipt) in our local green grocer - so a knuckle should cost you about 50/75c, depending on the size of your knuckle.

Advertisement