Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Off

Options
  • 05-10-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,

I would like some advice please.
    Recently i visit the doctor about a pain in my hand. I had strained tendons which was causing me pain when i moved my fingers. My doctors opinion on how i hurt the tendons was the way i use the computer mouse... I guess i do sit my hand on it strangely.

I got some anti-inflammatory but the pain still got worse.
    I called my doctor and on his advice i got more tablets and a brace for my wrist which i have to wear for 7 - 10 days. Also, i have to try not use my hand if possible.

I proving very awkward in work only using my left hand to type but its manageable.
    I also have a long commute to work and i cant grip the steering wheel properly with my right hand. Its pretty nerve wracking.

Should i be taking time off work to properly rest my hand completely or will that look like im taking the piss since i can manage with my left hand in work and can drive in ok.

I want my hand to get better but i also dont want to annoy my employer so im kind of confused.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It is your responsability to get to work so if you can't drive there it is strictly speaking not the company's problem.

I'd ask for a few days of as holiday and say you want to speed up the healing process; they may throw in a day or two as sickie if nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's really up to your GP to decide...
    If the GP decised you can work then there you go, if you are having problemd go back to the GP and talk with them, if it needs a cert get it and don't take holidays for a work related injury...

On another note, accidents on the way to/from work are work related, I've been there, check out the SW form and it specifically asks was the accident on the way to/from work.

This can becone a serious issue, I've seen employees who ignore this injury have serious problems down the line, take this injury seriously
    Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You should also report this injury to the company nurse/doctor if your company is big enough to have one.
    Some coaching/training on how to properly use a mouse might also be useful.
    Alternative pointing devices might be available, eg. trackballs etc whic might be more usable in intense usage applications

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

First of all, you really shouldn't be driving if you're not physically up to it. You have a responsibility to other road users as well.

As Nody said, I think annual leave is the way to go - and maybe they will meet you half way on it.

Advertisement