Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought second car. Can't use NCB when insuring it?!

• 05-10-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I've bought a second car recently and now having problems to insure it for a reasonable price.
    I have 2 years NCB but I posted the cert of NCB to the first crowd when insuring the first car a half year ago.
    Now I'm trying to insure this second car with another crowd and this crowd demands an original proof of NCB. Of course I don't have it and all I can get from the first crowd is a some sort of copy of my ncb cert.
    And when I rang to ask for it, the girl told me that I can only use it once with one policy. Is this true? Has anyone had any look using their NCB on two policies? or how you insure your 2nd car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Unfortunately you can only use your NCB on one car. Logical when you think about it, but not very fair. The second car will be insured as if you're just starting to drive, unless you insure it under someone else's name and become the named driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Can you get the car added to your existing policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Confab wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can only use your NCB on one car. Logical when you think about it, but not very fair. The second car will be insured as if you're just starting to drive, unless you insure it under someone else's name and become the named driver.

How is it logical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Robertr wrote: »
    How is it logical?

Because you earned it on one car and they will only give you a discount on one car. A lot of second cars in this country are actually used by someone else as the main driver so they don't want someone to get very cheap insurance on their first car eg a parent insuring a second car for their child

Unfortunatley multicar policies aren't available in Ireland.

If one of the cars is higher performance check if it will be cheaper to use your no claims bonus on this and start from scratch on the other car. As the no claims discount is a percentage of the total premium higher insurance equals higher discount. (But probably not by much)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its not a no claim bonus on a particular car, its a reward for claim free driving in ANY car. I have had 3 cars in the time I have built up my NCB. So I don't see any "logic", just profiteering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Because you earned it on one car

As opposed to what, can you drive two cars at once?

If its named drivers they are worried about then they should address that on policies that have named drivers.

I don't have two cars but if I did I'd be challanging that. What right do they have to say I don't have a NCB that I have earned.

Total scam!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

You'll start earning a second NCB when you take out the second policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Silly question perhaps, but have you tried to insure the 2nd car with the 1st insurer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

first insurer qouted 720eur with 2 years no claims but as it appears ncb can't be used for two cars, so this qoute goes up by 20% without ncb.
    other crowd qouted 600eur assuming that I have 2y ncb, so without it will cost me about 120eur more, but what can do? oh also there's option to buy comercial policy, but I'm afraid this would cost even more.

and again, if I accumulate some ncb on two or more different policies, will they add up then if I swicth to one car only? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

j@utis wrote: »
    first insurer qouted 720eur with 2 years no claims but as it appears ncb can't be used for two cars, so this qoute goes up by 20% without ncb.
    other crowd qouted 600eur assuming that I have 2y ncb, so without it will cost me about 120eur more, but what can do? oh also there's option to buy comercial policy, but I'm afraid this would cost even more.

and again, if I accumulate some ncb on two or more different policies, will they add up then if I swicth to one car only? :D:D
    Some of my cousins drive commercials, they get cheaper tax and believe it or not insurance as well. Defo check that option out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How old is the second car? If it's 20+ years you'll probably get it on a classic policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yep my bf had the same problem recently tho he managed to bargin down the insurance company he uses for his main car from 650 to 420.

your best bet is to ring as many companies as you can and then go back to the insurer you use for the other car and see if they will do you a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

No but while you are driving one the other could be stolen;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Because you earned it on one car and they will only give you a discount on one car.

Does that mean if you crashed a different car and had a claim against you as a result, you'd keep your no claims bonus? I doubt it :) Therefore the bonus is for you having no claims - shouldn't really be anything to do with the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't have two cars but if I did I'd be challanging that. What right do they have to say I don't have a NCB that I have earned.

Total scam!!!
    I agree, you can't drive two at once, which brings me to your second point..........you have no rights. No, really, you don't! My SO has two policies, with two full NCB's, yes, earned the hard way........:mad: but, as I found out, you're not actually entitled to any NCB at all. NCB is a completely discretionary discount used by insurers to win business. It has absolutely NO standing in law (entitlement).....

NEXT !
    j@utis wrote: »

Ha ! You wish...........!
    firefly08 wrote: »
    Does that mean if you crashed a different car and had a claim against you as a result, you'd keep your no claims bonus? I doubt it :) Therefore the bonus is for you having no claims - shouldn't really be anything to do with the car.
    Yes, you would. Your NCB is attached to a specific POLICY, not a car, not a driver. If you claim on one, it has ZERO effect on the other. This has been confirmed to us by Hibernian.

Right - what else you got ? :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, you would. Your NCB is attached to a specific POLICY, not a car, not a driver. If you claim on one, it has ZERO effect on the other. This has been confirmed to us by Hibernian.

Right - what else you got ? :p

ah that's quite cool. now say, with my second (and 2nd hand too) car (01 Ford Focus) I'd crash into Stephen Ireland's new buy and claim about gazillion from one insurer, but still retain those 2y NCB accumulated on another policy with another insurer, right? nope, I guess, it doesn't sound like true at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...nope, you do retain your NCB on the policy that is NOT involved in the claim.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Can I butt in on this thread and ask a very, very simple question...?

HOW hard is it to create a policy that allows you to run two cars on it? Apart from stating the obvious that its being done in the UK. SURELY its only a matter of a little paperwork / tweaking of a policy e.g No. of cars insured = 2 (not 1)?

Its all computerised, it should take a developer less than a day to update the code used. Insurance companies always have new and improved policies, so why can't they change the number from 1 to 2? They have enough money thats for sure, are they just retarded money grabbing..................

A vast majority of households have 2 cars in them, I know we do, I know the 3 people around my area do, my parents, the in-laws, etc all have two cars... surely the first company in Ireland to do this would be on to a winner.... actually, scrap that insurers, don't do it... because I think I will, I'd be a millionaire within a year!

Insurers are complete muppets.

I was paying €300 for my car, then this July, after its first year, it jumped to €490? No claims, no accidents, nothing... Some joke... told them to p*ss off anyway, not insured now, have to use the other car instead as I aint being bullied into paying extortionate prices for something that should have come down in price since I have more NCB and more experience and older (Note: I have 10 years NCB! and am 31 years old) + with the recession, they should keep prices low to keep customers and bring in new ones in these pressing times!

Rant over ! :D

DG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

DanGlee wrote: »
    Can I butt in on this thread and ask a very, very simple question...?

HOW hard is it to create a policy that allows you to run two cars on it? Apart from stating the obvious that its being done in the UK. SURELY its only a matter of a little paperwork / tweaking of a policy e.g No. of cars insured = 2 (not 1)?

Its all computerised, it should take a developer less than a day to update the code used. Insurance companies always have new and improved policies, so why can't they change the number from 1 to 2? They have enough money thats for sure, are they just retarded money grabbing..................

A vast majority of households have 2 cars in them, I know we do, I know the 3 people around my area do, my parents, the in-laws, etc all have two cars... surely the first company in Ireland to do this would be on to a winner.... actually, scrap that insurers, don't do it... because I think I will, I'd be a millionaire within a year!

Insurers are complete muppets.

I was paying €300 for my car, then this July, after its first year, it jumped to €490? No claims, no accidents, nothing... Some joke... told them to p*ss off anyway, not insured now, have to use the other car instead as I aint being bullied into paying extortionate prices for something that should have come down in price since I have more NCB and more experience and older (Note: I have 10 years NCB! and am 31 years old) + with the recession, they should keep prices low to keep customers and bring in new ones in these pressing times!

Rant over ! :D

DG.

It's done for motorbikes.

true. and the first company to offer 3, 6, 9... months insurance policy (or similar) would attract half of all customers and even more of motorbike users. imagine how many bikers only use their bikes when weather is good. I know because my bike is left to sit in the garage till the next summer (but I'm covered to ride it all year).

• Advertisement
Advertisement