Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my cats forget me?

• 05-10-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

We are going to be leaving our cats in a cattery for 2 weeks over the christmas as we are travelling abroad. My only concern will they forget me/not recognise me when I come back? I hear cats hate to have their home environs and routines interuppted, but I fear we have no choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not a hope. People worry too much about this kind of thing IMO. Ours are actually more clingy for a week or two after they come back from the cattery, and then they settle back into their normal routine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

We are going to be leaving our cats in a cattery for 2 weeks over the christmas as we are travelling abroad. My only concern will they forget me/not recognise me when I come back? I hear cats hate to have their home environs and routines interuppted, but I fear we have no choice.
    The cats will not forget you. My daughter did not see our cats for 6 months once and they remembered her on prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

I was also thinking of using Moggie Motel in Navan. Can anyone reccomend one in Dublin south if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

No your cats will not forget you at all. I left mine for 4-5 weeks last xmas, and when I came back to pick him up, he just saw me and got completely excited. He meowwwed, jumped etc..then when I picked him up, he just headbutt me so hard!!!
    I used to go to the Moggie Motel but I changed (even if it is a bit furhter for me).. I put my kitty to the cattery cottage. They just opened this year and it is a fantastic place to put your cats. Martina the woman who runs it, is an absolute cats love and she will look very well after the cats.
    http://catterycottage.com/

It is in county wicklow. She texts you for update etc...
    My cat got so spoiled there, and even if it is a bit far for me, I don't mind putting my cat there.
    You don't loose anything to visit the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Not a chance they'll forget you. My cat used to hear my voice when I'd go to collect him and he'd be so excited by the time he actually saw me. When we got home he used to check the house like mad to make sure no other cats or pesky dogs had been in while he was away and he used to be very clingy for a few days afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

i have a cat who tries to ignore me after ive been away for a while but she cant control being excited and she caves in with cuddles after 5 secs. i think its also the fact she knows she gets tuna when i come back....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I have seen cats be a bit clingy when somebody thats been away comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

No way a cat will forget you! We got our adult cat from the sister who moved house and wanted to reduce her menagerie. She too him back for 2 weeks over Christmas and I was quite worried, after all he'd spend more time there than with us. He saw me, jumped right into my arms and started licking me. Wouldn't go away from me all day and was very clingy for a while.
    Another story. While living in a flat in the city I had a "share" in the house cat, a feral kitten gone domestic. After we moved out, I kept visiting and he always reckognised me and was delighted to see me. The last time it must have been 2 years sinse the last visit. He heard my voice, came running and expected to be let in.
    So, don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

I used to go to the Moggie Motel but I changed (even if it is a bit furhter for me).. .

I couldn't recommend Audrey Furlong @ The Moggie Motel enough. We left our cat there for 16 days last June and he was grand when we got back. Audrey even texted me daily updates while I was on holiday. She really took her time to reassure me before and after my pet was boarded, she's a genuine, lovely lady who clearly adores her job. I will be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No they wont, although they may act like it . My cat sometimes looks at me like im a stranger...if ive only gone to work and back.:D

/just realised this thread is 2 years old. Ah well....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Locked. Please don't dig up zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement