Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Floor

Options
  • 05-10-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for solutions for my upstairs bathroom floor. There is currently plywood on the floor. I am planning to put raw oak floorboards down (tongue & grooved, from B&Q) and then paint them. I'm going for the painted floorboards effect (it's an older house) :).

My issue is that as the wood is raw, I want to protect it from the moisture in the room so that it doesn't buckle and warp. I was going to use Evo-Stik Technik Flexible Tanking System. I called Evo-Stik in Dublin and they said they didn't think it was suitable for wood and they didn't know if you could paint over it afterwards.

What could I use to protect the raw oak floorboards from the moisture, bearing in mind that I'll be putting at least three coats of good floor paint down on the floorboards afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

By way of update, a (very good) local paint shop said to just paint the raw wood with 2 coats of a good quality floor paint and that would do the job. Does that sound right?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am confused as to what you are looking to do.
    Is it (a) Varnished Oak flooring that will show the woodgrain?
    Or is it(b) Painted T+G floorboards?
    If the answer is (a) then I would not use any kind of tanking, I would use a good quality Yacht Varnish in order to make the floor impervious as I could,

Likely you will have to do at least 3-4 coats to get a really good finish and waterproof quality. Thincoat, Sand thickcoat, sand thickcoat and see how it looks,Then maybe one more. Oak goes black in contact with water.

If you want painted floorboards I would look at coloured water resistant laminate or a cheaper hardwood To me it would be an awful waste of Oak just to have them as painted boards.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am confused as to what you are looking to do.
    Is it (a) Varnished Oak flooring that will show the woodgrain?
    Or is it(b) Painted T+G floorboards?
    If the answer is (a) then I would not use any kind of tanking, I would use a good quality Yacht Varnish in order to make the floor impervious as I could,

Likely you will have to do at least 3-4 coats to get a really good finish and waterproof quality. Thincoat, Sand thickcoat, sand thickcoat and see how it looks,Then maybe one more. Oak goes black in contact with water.

If you want painted floorboards I would look at coloured water resistant laminate or a cheaper hardwood To me it would be an awful waste of Oak just to have them as painted boards. They are unfinished raw oak boards at the moment.

Cheers. I am going to paint the oak floorboards alright. I agree with you it is a bit of a waste, but we got the boards very cheap in B&Q (end of stock sale).

Really my question is - should I lay the oak floorboards, prime them and paint them with floor paint OR should I put something else on the floorboards first before painting them? They are unfinished raw oak boards at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Prime, paint, sand, paint, maybe paint again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement