Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

alternator question

• 05-10-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭

driving the car last night the battery light came on, and power dropped, called out the AA, and when he came the car decided to be fine no battery light etc.

anyhow he followed me home to make sure it was ok and had a good look at it for me at the house, he reckons theres a bearing on the way out in the alternator, and I'll need to get it reconditioned, he says wait though until it stops, as I'll get the replacement car etc etc

is this wise or should I just get it done now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Oh i'd get it done now, don't wanna be broke down again.
    Visit your local scrapyard get a replacement, easy enough job
    to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

the aa say when the car stops they'll provide me with a replacement car etc,suppose I'm wondering will it cos more damage in the long run, dont want to go down the scrapyard road, would rather get it reconditoned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A reconditioned alternator is not expensive and certainly not worth being stuck on the side of the road for when you know there's an issue.

I wouldn't bother with one from a scrapyard. Could be in as bad a condition as your current one, or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The expensive part of reconditioning an alternator is often the labour. Sometimes they can be a bitch to get out. I had to do mine in my first clio. Took it out myself, got it done and but it back myself which really cut down on the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

A slightly worn bearing would not cause it to stop charging. A totally knackered one might, but they don’t fix themselves so how come its ok now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padir

if you are getting it reconditioned then get it all done ... so people only change the worn bits... but something else could pack up shortly after...

would think a full recondition with you removing alternator your self shouldnt be much more than 180 - 200 euro ...

depending on car model it may be cheaper to get a new one..

but its really only smaller cars that are around that price..

my pajero was 600 for new one and got fully reconditioned for 160

it's off now, with thanks to a helpfiul mechanic of mine, defo the bearing in it. it was a pure bitch to get out I have to say, but it's going in for the full re-condition tomorrow, between 90-120 the fella says, its a volvo s40 btw

sure will get it serviced when in with the mechanic so alls good..

A slightly worn bearing would not cause it to stop charging. A totally knackered one might, but they don’t fix themselves so how come its ok now?

it was still rattling like mad before it got taken off, so cant undestand how it worked today, but it did, and yet wouldnt hold the charge last night at one point.

got the alternator back yesterday, was the pulley on it and a bearing gone, all fitted now, new altenator belt, and car serviced, jaisis it's amazing the difference the car is way quieter, but the mad thing is i had play in my steering for the last year, and it seems the pulley was the cause of it, not a bit of play now, it's driving like a dream again now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Great that its sorted but I can't for the life of me, figure out how changing the alternator, the pulley or the drive belt would in any way eliminate the "play in the steering". Perhaps the belt was slipping and you PS pump wasn't being driven properly, but this isn't play in the steering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement