Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie FIFA League - Season 5

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Axwell wrote: »
    We will have 2 divisions and there will be unique teams PER division - that means there can be a Manchester United picked in the Championship and another in the Premiership. .

:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Kirby wrote: »
    :confused:

You are easily confused.
    Previously we did unique teams across the 2 divisions. One Manchester United, one barcelona etc etc. This season its only unique teams per division. So someone in the Championship can pick Manchester United and so can someone in the Premiership if they wish.

You are easily confused.
    Previously we did unique teams across the 2 divisions. One Manchester United, one barcelona etc etc. This season its only unique teams per division. So someone in the Championship can pick Manchester United and so can someone in the Premiership if they wish.

Perhaps I should have elaborated.

I understood perfectly, I just think its a bonkers idea. In my opinion it could ruin the league. People who are in the premiership are all good players.
    If you give Real Madrid or Chelsea to a good player he is going to dominate completely. The old system worked because by the time the premiership got to pick, only average teams were left. Everybody was in the same boat. And nobody got overpowered.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'll be one of the first to pick this time up. It's going to benefit guys like me the most. But its still stupid. The difference between Real Madrid and a team nineteen picks later, is simply huge.

To be honest, I don't see what the problem with the old system was. Good players don't need to good teams to win. That was always half the fun....seeing teams like Hull and Newcastle duke it out as opposed to the same top10 or so teams getting picked all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

As a seasond lower division player myself I actually wouldnt mind seeing the opp happen to last season and let the prem take the 5 star teams then let the lower division take the rest. The only reason I say this as I only seem to enjoy lower star games anyway. But I suppose if the Prem are happy with the big gun teams then so be it. Its no harm getting a slice of reality once in a while if you do draw a big team player in the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

To be honest, I don't see what the problem with the old system was.

Thats because you've never played in the Premiership before. You had the luxury of playing as a 5 star side, so you are looking from one side of the fence. We've played one season with top teams, two seasons with rubbish teams.

When you do 2 seasons with poor teams (despite what you imply, there is a big gap between the teams you label as "average"), you will see a problem. Its fine as long as you aren't in the last batch of players to pick, in the Premiership, where you get stuck with totally rubbish teams. We are probably going to have 3 leagues this time out. Do you know how bad the 50th best team in the game is? You are going to be the likes of Hull vs Real Madrid in every match you play on Xbox live. Thats just not fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Perhaps I should have elaborated.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'll be one of the first to pick this time up. It's going to benefit guys like me the most. But its still stupid. The difference between Real Madrid and a team nineteen picks later, is simply huge.

To be honest, I don't see what the problem with the old system was. Good players don't need to good teams to win. That was always half the fun....seeing teams like Hull and Newcastle duke it out as opposed to the same top10 or so teams getting picked all the time.

Ok firstly the problem with it was that the difference in level between 4.5 and 4 star teams which we had in the premiership last season was ridiculous. Its fine playing with the 5 star teams and everyone has an equal chance but when you go down to the lower end teams its nowhere near the same the further you go.

You made the point yourself that "The difference between Real Madrid and a team nineteen picks later, is simply huge". We had 17 in the premiership last season and the difference between the top few teams and the bottom ones was huge by their ratings. You are going from 4.5 to 4 star teams who dont have any decent players. Also you never had to pick Hull or Newcastle and duke it out so you dont know how boring it is for people that were in the Premiership when people are stuck with teams they really dont want to play with. If anything this will keep the league alive and keep those who played in the premiership the last 2 seasons interested. Also how will somone with Chelsea for example run away with it when everyone is decent as you say and dominate it, everyone has a good team so its even, thats the whole point.

Secondly you wont be one of the first picks either, thats not how it works. The leagues have been seeded so that within the league peoples positions will be fairly based on how well they did last season.

The decision has been made and thats the way it will be played out this season. We have 2 divisions and we will be posting team picks shortly and hopefully able to start this next Saturday. Also by having the divisions setup like this it allows us to run selections simulataneously and get things started sooner and now be waiting on someone to pick a team before we even get to the premiership selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ah lads Ive the exact same thinking as Kirby here. Itl ruin the league if this happens. Fair enough in the championship those who had the better teams were usually not as used to the game but everyone in the premiership are going to be good players.

If you take note of my posts in the rant thread of fifa 10 youll see why im so much against this idea. Real Madrid, Barca,Chelsea and Inter are ridiculously over powered in this game compared to the other teams.

Liverpool are down as a 5 star team but in reality the above four I mentioned are so much better than any other team in the game. What are the lads going to do that are about 6/7 picks in? Itl be torture for them trying to cope with good players going up against the likes of Drogba or Irbiamovich. The guy with the last pick wont have a hope in hell imo.

Both of your complaints (Joe and Kirby) are that the top few teams are better than whats below them. This is the exact reason we are doing this based on last season, in the pemiership last season the first few teams were 4.5 and then the rest 4. There is a far bigger gap between 4.5 and 4 than there is between 5 and 4.5, its not even close. You said in your post the lad with last pick wont have a chance in hell, with a 4 star team he definitely wouldnt. The gap between say Real Madrid and Liverpool is nowhere near the gap between a 4.5 and 4 star team.

Both of you are coming from the Championship and havent played under those conditions so you are basing it purely on your thoughts and not experience of last season in the Premiership. It has been decided by those of us organising and putting the time and effort into running this who have played in the premiership the last few seasons that this is how it will be run this season. The decision has been made and we will be progressing with it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Why don't we all just pick the same team, like Real or Rotherham. That way we'll all be equal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Town Man

Joe and Kirby I think we should leave the organising of the league to the people in charge and be thankful we have one such in place like this. Like myself ye have just played one season of the "Boards League" out of 4 so ye should not be saying what the rules are or what way the teams go. I believe it is nice to mix it up abit. I'm sure the lads in the Premiership want a turn at the good teams. It can be quite tedious playing with 4 Star teams and if the league is seeded then their should be no problem with who gets to pick who.

anyway Joe you won last year with Fiorentina and you were happy with them and Kirby you ended up with Bayern Munich. There are loads of other good 5-4.5 star teams and if you get your tactics right then the games will be close

or maybe they are not as good at Fifa 10 as they were the previous version he he he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'll be interested to see the seedings. I would have been happy to take Udinese again this season anyway :D

Moiph wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see the seedings. I would have been happy to take Udinese again this season anyway :D

Feel free to pick them again if you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Was just giving my thoughts lads.:cool:

Moiph wrote: »

That sounds like a team selection to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

am i too late to throw my hat into the ring..

endakenny is my xboxlive gamertag.. now based in canada so late night games work for me

Secondly you wont be one of the first picks either, thats not how it works. The leagues have been seeded so that within the league peoples positions will be fairly based on how well they did last season.

Is logic going completely out the window here? Surely the three promoted people should be the first three picks? They are favourites to go down. Getting second in the championship does not equate to getting second in the premiership. The gulf in class is obvious.

Getting second in the championship does not equate to getting second in the premiership.

Honestly, the conclusions you draw from other peoples posts are ridiculous at times. Who said finishing second in Championship is the same as getting second in the Premiership?

You don't get first pick because you and Joe ran away with the lower league by an absolutely ridiculous margin. In the interest of fairness, you aren't going to be the worst player in the division this season, so you aren't going to get the first pick. The lads re-did the rankings so everyone gets a fair pick based on the previous season. Simple.

Is logic going completely out the window here? Surely the three promoted people should be the first three picks? They are favourites to go down. Getting second in the championship does not equate to getting second in the premiership. The gulf in class is obvious.

You wont be getting the 3 first picks, thats not how it works, has ever been done or will be done this year either. To quote you earlier "If you give Real Madrid or Chelsea to a good player he is going to dominate completely" - which is true, which is why we have seeded people based on how they performed and is also the same way it was done last year when promoting players from the championship to the premiership. However you also said that everyone in the Premiership is good, so no matter what team you get considering they are all of a decent standard you will be able to do quite well with them. Also we have people from qualifying to be put into the premiership aswell to even out the numbers so we have to work out a position for everyone based on the last season and the qualifying. We could just stick them in at the bottom and give them first picks but some of them are very good and it wouldnt be right to put them there. You and Joe had an easy run in the championship and were only there because you came that way from qualifying, there is no reason why you wont do as well in the premiership, this gulf in class you talk of is a myth so dont make out that your at a lower level purely because you played in the championship last season.

As I said earlier you have played in the championship for one season, you havent played in the premiership last season to see how it worked out or the difference in the quality of the teams we got to pick from. Going back to your statement about Real Madrid or Chelsea, above you are saying if you got them you would run away with the league, yet in your last message you are favourite to go down because your being promoted. Sounds like you are contradicting yourself for the sake of making a fuss to be honest.

As Ive said the decision has been made already by myself and Moon as we are the ones doing all the work and organising everything to get this up and running for everyone so let us worry about the logic and the organising. You are welcome to voice your opinion but team selections will be starting as planned and the seedings will be the way we have decided them. Everyone else is happy to take part and enjoy the league and appreciates the work gone into organising it without creating so much fuss.

bonkers wrote: »
    am i too late to throw my hat into the ring..

endakenny is my xboxlive gamertag.. now based in canada so late night games work for me

Yes entry for this season is closed. Qualifying for next season will be starting in a few weeks and you can enter that just keep an eye out for the thread.

Axwell, if you consider two short posts stating my opinion as "a fuss"....than I don't know what to say to you. You don't have to call to arms every time somebody disagrees with you. I'm giving my opinion, thats what people on forums do. I appreciate the work that goes into the league. That doesn't mean I agree with everything though. You need to be mature enough to discuss something without taking offense.
    Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

You don't get first pick because you and Joe ran away with the lower league by an absolutely ridiculous margin.

Who said finishing second in Championship is the same as getting second in the Premiership? .

Apparently, you did. Basing seedings on performance in a lower league is foolhardy. Wolves won the championship last year. They were among the favourites to go down this season. It's common sense. When you jump a division, your opponents jump in class. Just because Wolves spanked everybody in the championship doesn't mean they go hammer Arsenal.

Thats my take on things. Teams that barely escape relegation....are still better than those who get promoted. History proves this. Thats all I'll say on the matter. :)

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean I agree with everything though. You need to be mature enough to discuss something without taking offense.

As I said to you in previous posts the decision had been made already by those of us organising it so there wasnt any discussion to be had on the matter.
    Apparently, you did. Basing seedings on performance in a lower league is foolhardy. Wolves won the championship last year. They were among the favourites to go down this season. It's common sense. When you jump a division, your opponents jump in class. Just because Wolves spanked everybody in the championship doesn't mean they go hammer Arsenal.

This is Xbox not real football..when Wolves got promoted they didnt get a chance to change into a better team.
    Thats all I'll say on the matter. smile.gif

Everyones seen you say it now so you may stick to that..

Apparently, you did.

Where?
    Basing seedings on performance in a lower league is foolhardy..

You guys ran away with the league. That Wolves vs Arsenal argument is rubbish. The point is that you should not have been down there in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement