Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my rights with a wrongly priced item

Options
  • 05-10-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

We recently purchased a rangemaster cooker from PowerCity and were to wait 4 weeks for delivery. On the 4th week the other items we bought all arrived but the cooker was delayed, we contacted them and they said we could arrange with rangemaster to get the cooker delivered directly from them when it was ready, fair enough we thought and contacted rangemaster.

When speaking to them on the phone we discovered that the wrong cooker had been ordered by PowerCity, a 110 when we ordered the classic 110 and they told us this cooker was 500euro more. We got back on to PowerCity to explain they had ordered the wrong cooker and they deny it and say we did order just the normal 110.

Now we remember when we bought the cooker originally that it was very reasonable and even asked the sales guy at the time why it was so cheap as we thought it may have been incorrect (we had shopped around for a while, even went up to the North looking). He explained that they buy in bulk and are able to offer discounts that way. We are sure it was the Classic 110 they had on display and was priced 1899euro as we were very specific on the particular cooker we wanted. They are now denying that they had this cooker on display and that we are wrong. They offered our money back but we want our cooker.

Just wondering what are our rights in this situation, is getting our money back our only option or do they have to sell us the correct cooker at the price we paid??

We have all our receipts but unfortunately it's not very detailed in it's desription of each item.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If the receipt says "Classic 110 Rangemaster", you probably have a case. Otherwise it's a case of your word against theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, if only the classic was on display and the non-classic wasn't, then you are onto something. If the receipt is ambiguous, you are probably entitled to what you were shown.

How you are going to make this work in practice, I'm not sure. If they are disputing what item was on display, it's going to make things tricky. Is the item still on display? Do they have both models?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

No the same item is no longer on display as we paid several weeks ago, I'm not sure which models are on display at the moment as the wife was up with them today not myself. She is currently waiting for a call back from the Manager.

I think it probably will be our word against theirs.

the receipt says
    11dbl range 110 d/f nat-gasb
    which as i said is not overly descriptive.

so the answer is that you have rights. The problem is that as it is, you have no proof.

How did the conversation with rangemaster come around to the joint realisation that the wrong thing had been ordered? Did they say 'you weren't expecting a classic, were you?'

I'd say someone screwed up, then realised they'd screwed up, and then decided to pawn the job of telling the bad news off to someone else.

If you can get the manager to split the difference, i'd do it. Otherwise, I'd write a letter to the home addresses of all the directors of the company explaining what the company has done to you (a 'bait and switch' as it's known in sales). If they want to track down what was actually on display, they can.

The strictly speakings are that they have to supply what they contracted to supply. The problem is proving it.

antoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If its any help Shaws in athy have the classic 110 for €1199

• Advertisement

so the answer is that you have rights. The problem is that as it is, you have no proof.

How did the conversation with rangemaster come around to the joint realisation that the wrong thing had been ordered? Did they say 'you weren't expecting a classic, were you?'

I'd say someone screwed up, then realised they'd screwed up, and then decided to pawn the job of telling the bad news off to someone else.

If you can get the manager to split the difference, i'd do it. Otherwise, I'd write a letter to the home addresses of all the directors of the company explaining what the company has done to you (a 'bait and switch' as it's known in sales). If they want to track down what was actually on display, they can.

The strictly speakings are that they have to supply what they contracted to supply. The problem is proving it.

antoin.

When on the phone to rangemaster they said they needed to convert the cooker to LPG gas (we don't have mains gas where we live) and she mentioned about a glass lid on it. The cooker we ordered has no lid thats when we realised something was wrong.

This is the one we want
    http://www.rangemaster.co.uk/index_248.htm
    and this is the one they are trying to sell us
    http://www.rangemaster.co.uk/index_252.htm

They have offered to sell us the classic for an extra 200euro, not sure whether to accept. We are under pressure as we have just moved into the house and it's hard with no cooker, so we can't really afford for this to drag on for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

they could rescan the barcode/product code that they have in store and see if the description matches whats on your receipt. They will have to have some sort of way of identifying the products for themselves so there would be some difference if they are claiming to only stock the standard 110.

you also still have the threat of the small claims court which you could use if you were at the end of you tether.

mcaul wrote: »

You sure it's the Classic 110, if so thats a great price. Their website does'nt have any information about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

This is the one you wanted from Powecity, the "Classic".
    This is the one that is on your receipt (11DBL) and the one they have ordered in for you by the sounds of it.

Have you paid in full for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

you also still have the threat of the small claims court which you could use if you were at the end of you tether.

Their offering a full refund, what could they get from the small claims court, Compensation?

Kensington wrote: »
    This is the one you wanted from Powecity, the "Classic".
    This is the one that is on your receipt (11DBL) and the one they have ordered in for you by the sounds of it.

Have you paid in full for it?

Yes it's paid in full.

They have now offered to give us an ex-display model that was in Blanchardstown for the price we paid. Going to have a look at it today to inspect what condition it is in.
    mcaul wrote: »

Rang them and they said the Classic 110 is €2399, so I think you must have got them mixed up, thanks anyway.

Update - The ex-display model we looked at was the wrong colour, so we told them to take back the Fridge Freezer, dish washer and tumble dryer that we had bought along with the cooker and we wanted our money back. With that they backed down and gave us the correct cooker at the original price we paid.

Thanks to everyone for their advice

Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Well done!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

good result, as long as you are polite and give the store a chance it's nice to hardball at the end, in fairness PC are in the main a great store

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement