Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trap adds Martin Rowlands?

• 05-10-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

ok so what's he been doing this season that A. Reid hasn't???

and while we're at it N. Hunt also called up? what's he been doing this season that C. Morrison hasn't??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wheres the link to the squad? Is Liam Miller still in it?

edit: yes he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't know what a Martin Rowlands is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I feel like crying.... If Trap actually went to a Sunderland match it might help. Where has he seen Liam Miller play recently? Playing 3 and in with a few local kids maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Aidric wrote: »
    I don't know what a Martin Rowlands is.

tayto chrisps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Rowlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You should probably ask whoever selects the squad cause i doubts its actually Trap in fairness, do we even know if he watches videos for sure??

I would have my doubts that the manager actually knows half the squads names tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

flanzer wrote: »
    I feel like crying.... If Trap actually went to a Sunderland match it might help. Where has he seen Liam Miller play recently? Playing 3 and in with a few local kids maybe?

Liam Miller is one thing but Martin Rowlands?? there's a rabbit out of a hat...last called up in 2004 for the last of his 3 caps...missed most of last season through injury this season for QPR... 5 appearances 1 as sub!!

the question who actually picks the Irish squad is indeed a good one, baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

flanzer wrote: »

Or with the team who were sitting 2nd in the SPL after their game on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Good piece in the Times about Andy Reid's continuous exclusion from the Irish squad.
    Quite baffling really. But it's been said a million times at this stage, until Trap starts making a mess of things (which hopefully never happens!) he can't really be criticised that much.

Linky McLink Link

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

shocking decision :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

We have too small of a country and too small of a selection of top quality players without this petty bollocks going on. Whoever it is that is leaving out one of our top players out of the squad, should grow up and cop the fcuk on! End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Have I been in a coma or something for the last 5 years, Andy Reid top quality my ar*e he mixes 89 minutes of mediocrity with one or two flashes of brilliance, hardly whats needed in international football.

And of course he was never overweight according to he's new found fan club who barely fcukin knew who he was till Trap axed him but yet he was able to shed over two stone :rolleyes:

Have I been in a coma or something for the last 5 years, Andy Reid top quality my ar*e he mixes 89 minutes of mediocrity with one or two flashes of brilliance, hardly whats needed in international football.

And of course he was never overweight according to he's new found fan club who barely fcukin knew who he was till Trap axed him but yet he was able to shed over two stone :rolleyes:

It's not the point,

a "current" regular starter for a 6th place Premeirship team or a bit part player for midtable Championship QPR.....it's a decison that makes no sense on any level

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

One thing I can say is that Martin Rowlands is a better player than Liam Miller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

blinding wrote: »
    One thing I can say is that Martin Rowlands is a better player than Liam Miller.

Keith Fahey is better than both of them together tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Disgraceful decision simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It's a disgrace really,

Trap should be asked for the real reasons behind Reid's omission, I mean it must have been bad, or he must fear more of the same if he was brought back, It's obvious to everybody, or at least it should be that it has nothing to do with any system Trap is playing, or any footballing reason at all.

Fair play to Rowland's for making the team and all that, i don't begrudge many a call up, but what a kick in the teeth for Reid, he has been fantastic on the wing for Sunderland so far this year, and even performed well when used in the middle.

Nobody is asking for him to be put into the team, but for him to not even be making the Squads is just mind boggling time after time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As disgraceful as this decision is. Its more disgraceful people defending the decision.

Martin Rowlands is not good enough for an Ireland 'B' team. Who does Keith Fahey have to blow to get a call up ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's actually laughable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

An absolute joke. There is no way to rationalize that decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Fahey should be in, Reid should be in. Thats the end of that matter.

Am I right in saying that Stephan Reid is around the squad ????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Martin Rowlands > Keith Andrews > Glenn Whelan > Liam Miller tbh.

Rowlands is QPR's best player by a long way and is not a bit part player at all, was just injured last season.

Should have been in the squad years by now, I and a few others have said it laods of times on here.

Still, Both Reids are streets ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

In Trap we trust

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Jazeus premierstone, you'd swear we have the talent pool of a Brazil or an Argentina. Nobody is saying Andy Reid is Lionel Messi, but the simple fact is that he is currently playing a million miles better than most of the midfielders in the current squad, if not all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

I think absence has made the heart grow stronger in relation to Andy Reid.The way people are talking you'd swear he was Irelands answer to Riquelme. No doubt he is one of the more creative players in our pool, but i'm not convinced he would improve the team.

Trap was hired to manage a team. This does not just involve picking the best players. If it did, anyone could do it.

Trap also has to take into account squad chemistry and so far he's been spot on with that. Don't forget he's a legendary manager that has dealt with some of the biggest names in football history. His teams are notoriously hard to beat and this is largely down to the siege mentality that he is an expert at creating.

The current Ireland team is no different. Realistically we should be finishing third in our group. Thats the natural order. We are currently overachieving and thats largley down to the style of play and squad chemistry. Ireland can't compete with teams like Italy or even Bulgaria by playing a creative style of play from the centre of the park (not without Steven Reid and Stephen Ireland). Trap has got the tactics spot on.

The squad is compact and consistent. Gone are the Staunton days were every Tom,Dick ,and Joe lapira got a cap if they had a half decent game.

More to the point, do you think it would benefit the squad pyschologically bringing in Andy Reid ( along with the media baggage that is sure to follow), for the last two qualifiers?? On paper most teams will beat us. The difference is mentality. Now is not the time to mess with that. Rowlands probably won't get a look in. But he's a low key addition (with international experience), and his inclusion won't unbalance the team.

Rondolfus wrote: »
    His teams are notoriously hard to beat and this is largely down to the siege mentality that he is an expert at creating.
    Siege mentality? Really?

It's not exactly a phrase that I'd use to describe a Trapattoni team. Well organised, solid, difficult to break down are much more fitting descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I think absence has made the heart grow stronger in relation to Andy Reid.The way people are talking you'd swear he was Irelands answer to Riquelme. No doubt he is one of the more creative players in our pool, but i'm not convinced he would improve the team.

He is pretty close to Irelands answer to Riquelme at the moment IMO, look at what who we have available FFS. Well if he is one of our "most creative players", surely he at least merits a place in the squad. No?

Trap was hired to manage a team. This does not just involve picking the best players. If it did, anyone could do it.

LOL...of course he should pick the best players available. Obviously it involves more than that, but that surely would be a good start.

Trap also has to take into account squad chemistry and so far he's been spot on with that. Don't forget he's a legendary manager that has dealt with some of the biggest names in football history. His teams are notoriously hard to beat and this is largely down to the siege mentality that he is an expert at creating.

I'm not saying he is not doing a good job but he could surely make his life a lot easier with the likes of Reid as an option should we fall behind in a game and need a little bit of creativity, particularly if we get to the play-offs.

The current Ireland team is no different. Realistically we should be finishing third in our group. Thats the natural order. We are currently overachieving and thats largley down to the style of play and squad chemistry. Ireland can't compete with teams like Italy or even Bulgaria by playing a creative style of play from the centre of the park (not without Steven Reid and Stephen Ireland). Trap has got the tactics spot on.

No one is saying we should be playing a "creative style of play"...as I said Trap is doing a good job; however I think you are being a bit harsh on Reid if that's all you think he is good for. I have watched all of the Sunderland games that Reid has played this season and his workrate has been emmence.

The squad is compact and consistent. Gone are the Staunton days were every Tom,Dick ,and Joe lapira got a cap if they had a half decent game.

Reid is not "every Tom, Dick and Joe lapira", you said yourself he is one of our "more creative players".

More to the point, do you think it would benefit the squad pyschologically bringing in Andy Reid ( along with the media baggage that is sure to follow), for the last two qualifiers??

Yes, of course it would benefit the "squad" if we had him as an option and I don't think there would be a huge amount of "media baggage", in fact the inclusion of Rowlands ahead of Reid may bring more "media baggage"...anyway they are prefessionals and should be more than capable of dealing with it. As an experienced manager, Trap should be well capable of controlling any sort of situation that may arise.

On paper most teams will beat us. The difference is mentality. Now is not the time to mess with that. Rowlands probably won't get a look in. But he's a low key addition (with international experience), and his inclusion won't unbalance the team.

On paper "most teams" will not beat us, if we have our strongest team on that piece of paper that is. His inclusion won't unbalance the team because as you say "he won't get a look in"...even more baffling why he was included.

We will most likely finish second, why not have a real go at Italy and try and win the bloddy group...ok it's a long shot, but in order to do that Reid as one of our "more creative players" should without a doubt be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Fair play to Rowland's for making the team and all that, i don't begrudge many a call up, but what a kick in the teeth for Reid, he has been fantastic on the wing for Sunderland so far this year, and even performed well when used in the middle.

quote]

Fair play my testicles.

He doenst deserve the call up, nor should he have gotten one.
    Andy Reid is playing Quality stuff at the moment for Sunderland, was excellent against man Utd.
    I have a big problem with this.
    The Irish fans are peying traps wages.
    Only the other day i bought the 2 ticket package for Italy and Montenegro games.
    Trap is gettin a fair chunk of the price of those tickets.
    And for what?
    To let his ego get in the way of a us potentially qualifying for the world cup.
    The FAI gave him a contract extension recently, almost smacks of the farce surrounding the contract extension The IRFU gave Eddie O'Sullivan a few years back before the World Cup.
    Trap gets and extension, and we havent even qualified.
    Bullsh*t

whycliff wrote: »

quote]

Fair play my testicles.

Andy Reid is playing Quality stuff at the moment for Sunderland, was excellent against man Utd.
    Only the other day i bought the 2 ticket package for Italy and Montenegro games.
    And for what?
    The FAI gave him a contract extension recently, almost smacks of the farce surrounding the contract extension The IRFU gave Eddie O'Sullivan a few years back before the World Cup.
    Bullsh*t
    Is'nt some rich guy paying a lot of his wages. Maybe that guy does not like Andys Reid singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Denis O'Brien is actually paying the most signifciant chunk of Trap's wages.

• Advertisement

Fair play my testicles.

And for what?
    Bullsh*t

I was more or less saying that i'm not going to take my anger out on Rowland's, would be stupid of him to refuse the call stating "Andy Reid should be in the squad" as his reason, as i imagine you would do.

I'm pissed off with Trap too, but i'm not going to hold it against Rowland's, i have been advocating Reid to be called back up since this debacle began.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien is actually paying the most signifciant chunk of Trap's wages.

So Dennis O'Brien is paying a chunk of Traps wages because??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, yes.

I suppose Denis O'Brien would be considered an Ireland fan.

Has anyone any proof of this?? or a link to suggest?

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100372:fai-agree-new-trapattoni-deal&catid=1:senior-men&Itemid=8
    FAI agree new Trapattoni deal
    Friday, 25 September 2009 15:27
    PDF | Print | E-mail
    The Football Association of Ireland today (September 25) announced a new two year contract with Giovanni Trapattoni. The new agreement will extend from the current 2010 World Cup campaign to cover the Euro 2012 campaign and will be part funded thanks to the generous contribution of Denis O’Brien.

Welcoming the new contract, John Delaney, Chief Executive of the Football Association of Ireland said,

“We are very happy to agree a contract extension with Giovanni Trapattoni. The players and everyone on the FAI Board of management have been tremendously impressed by the professionalism, dedication and commitment of Giovanni Trapattoni and his team. We thank Denis O’Brien for his continuing contribution which will guarantee the services of one of the world’s most successful managers, through until 2012.”

Speaking today, Republic of Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni said,

“I am delighted to continue my job with the FAI. This squad has huge potential. Our results demonstrate what self belief and structure can achieve and I am really looking forward to continuing the work we have begun.”

Welcoming the renewed appointment, Denis O’Brien said,

“When the appointment of Giovanni Trapattoni was announced, we said that hiring the right people would enable us to get the right results. In Giovanni, the team has grown in stature and confidence and I am very happy to renew my partnership with the FAI, Giovanni Trapattoni and the Irish squad for the coming campaign.”

Who knows.

Probably something to do with tax

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/fai-denis-obrien-to-pay-part-of-trapattonis-wages-348737.html

No mention of him for the additional deal after this campaign. (seems Des's link has)

And don't forget Denis O'Brien.

That doesn't make sense at all. He has already as good as gotten us a playoff place. We only need 1 point from the next two home games. And he's done all this by doing things his own way.

Bullsh*t
    Now you're just being mental. Of course they gave him a new extension. He's the best manager available to us at the moment and they only have to pay him half his wages. All that coupled with the fact that we're as good as guaranteed a playoff place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a great Gift Grub piece lasy year where Roy said he was going to leave Reid out of the squad for the rest of the season because he would then be worth €50 million such was the hype about how good he was without even playing for Ireland

Ha. Ya gotta be quick on Boards!

Denis O'Brien has had a vendetta against Andy Reid going back years.

Who better than an Italian to put vendetta into action

The more you think about this the clearer it gets.

Trappatoni has been brought in to do one on Andy Reid. Stephen Ireland was to help Trap do Andy but was just to squeamish and is just better at granny murder.

Has Andy Reid had the horses head in the bed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Denis O'Brien has had a vendetta against Andy Reid going back years.

Why and for what??????

Thanos wrote: »
    Why and for what??????

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

@Swar

Firstly I don't agree with your assesment that you must always pick the "best" or most talented players. Thats something a 10 year old child would do whilst playing "Football Manager". ALL successful teams pick the players that suit their system.

Real Madrid were most successful when they fielded players like Makelele and Celades and when they weren't afraid to bench some of the more creative players like Guti. (Much to the dismay of the fans). Think back to 1990 World Cup. Jack Charlton made the correct decision to axe some of the more naturally gifted players in his quest to secure a good team spirit.

Look at England, Capello wasn't afraid to give players like Heskey a chance ( despite not being the "best" players available). The point is they fit his system and his has been successful. lippi did the same with the current World Champions! The list goes on!

Also you say that you wouldn't expect us to play a creative style of play against teams like Italy but the main argument on this thread in favour of Reid is his creativity??:confused:
    SWAR wrote: »
    On paper "most teams" will not beat us, if we have our strongest team on that piece of paper that is. His inclusion won't unbalance the team because as you say "he won't get a look in"...even more baffling why he was included.

Obviously "most teams" in the world won't beat us. However, "most teams" that are ranked similar to us would.Eaten bread is soon forgotton and it seems our results under Staunton have been wiped from the memory of some Irish fans. hmmm let me think...hammered by Cyprus... now getting results against Italy and Bulgaria...

A "fat" lot of good Reid did for us when were getting outplayed by part-timers under Staunton.

Most managers would not have Ireland sitting in our current position on the verge of a playoff/qualification. People don't like to admit that becuase it would mean giving Trap some credit and lets face it, a lot Irish people simply enjoy complaining.

I also still think Rowlands is a low key addition and I am positive it was the correct decision. He probably won't get a look in, but a squad of players has to picked.People are blowing this out of all proportions. We're hardly building the team around Rowlands, although some people here seem to want us to build a team around Reid!!

Nobody knows what influence Reid had on the Irish team behind the scenes. All I know is one of the greatest managers in the game, and his staff including Liam Brady don't feel his inclusion would be beneficial.

Why and for what??????
    I would tell you but if I did Denis O' Brien would make me an offer that I could not refuse.

I would tell you but if I did Denis O' Brien would make me an offer that I could not refuse.

Must be the incident with the horses, one of Andy Reid (part owned i think and not that good) took out one of Mr. O'Briens (a top horse) guess that could pi$$ him off................

omfg.

Must be the incident with the horses, one of Andy Reid (part owned i think and not that good) took out one of Mr. O'Briens (a top horse) guess that could pi$$ him off................
    Do not sleep at your usual address tonight.

You had better start varying your routes and time keeping as well.

Are you a gangster or do you know gangsters you need protection (and I do not mean a condom)

Des wrote: »
    omfg.

Come on, get with the program, its one wind up after another, guess whos not on board now!!!

Come on, get with the program, its one wind up after another, guess whos not on board now!!!
    Fun while it lasted ! !:D

@Swar

A "fat" lot of good Reid did for us when were getting outplayed by part-timers under Staunton.

Trappatoni's team have been outplayed in just about every game in this group, we're not so much hard to beat as have been lucky not to get beat and the fact Keane discovered his scoring boots and dug us out of a hole on more than one occasion.....we've been overun and outplayed in midfield so many times it's a miracle we're in contention in this group, I'd attribute that more to the performances of Given, Dunne and Keane more than the Traps "system" which was shown up for the sham it is against Australia

Fun while it lasted ! !:D
    Indeed, was going to post i would go out an buy another house right now, but I do not think any one would have taken up on that one, :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement